Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2010 World Cup facts and statistics

Fifa have been publishing stats of the day since the 8th, but today's was the first that focused on the games. Not sure if the link will be to the one published on the 10th or the one for the day you click it.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/mencompwc/01/21/34/61/_statsoftheday_latest.pdf

One it mentions that I imagine may be broken tomorrow is that no host nation has lost the opening match in the 7 opening matches involving the host so far. I have predicted a draw though. This is Mexico's fifth appearance in an opening game.

My favourite fact listed relates to 1966, where it explains that the Uruguay v France game was played at White City Stadium rather than Wembley as FIFA refused to compensate Wembley Stadium £2,000 to cancel the greyhound racing. :D

Just read that Mario Zagallo has also won as captain and manager (1958 and 1962 as player and 1970 as manager).

So Maradona or Dunga would be the third.

Wiki says that Hideraldo Bellini, the centre back, was captain, with Zagallo at outside left. Similarly, Mauro Ramos was captain in the 62 team.

Wiki says that Hideraldo Bellini, the centre back, was captain, with Zagallo at outside left. Similarly, Mauro Ramos was captain in the 62 team.
Yes, I misread it. He's the only other one to have won it as both player and manager but Beckbenbauer has the distinction as the only one to do it as captain and manager so far. :oops:

Brazil, despite winning a record five times, are the only winners not to have won a World Cup at home.
That may well change in 2014 (I've already started planning to be there, the furthest I've ever planned in advance in my life:) )

Also I think Brazil are the only team to have qualified for all 19 world cups

Also I think Brazil are the only team to have qualified for all 19 world cups
I think it is more correct to state that they have participated in all the World Cup final tournaments. For instance, there was no qualification process for the first World Cup.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/mencompwc/01/21/34/61/_statsoftheday_latest.pdf

England scored an average of 3.4 goals per game in qualifying, the highest average of all the qualifiers.

Thierry Henry is the first French player to have played in four tournaments.

Maradona's last cap was against Nigeria (at the 1994 World Cup finals).

The oldest squad to win the World Cup was Italy in 2006 at 28 years and 10 months. Australia, England, Brazil can beat that feat.

A striker has failed to score so far at this World Cup. The last striker to score a goal at the World Cup was Nuno Gomes in the third place game in 2006. Seven games have occurred since then.

are there any stats on how many people have needed surgey to have those trumpet things reoved from their arses?

Yesterday's game was the first draw between England and the USA.

Nigeria haven't won in their last 6 World Cup games.

Ghana have never drawn a World Cup game.

The only team, after seven games, to have scored more than one goal is South Korea.

More interestingly, apparently it's possible that the brothers Kevin Prince Boateng and Jerome Boateng could face each other when Ghana play Germany. Have brothers ever played each other at a World Cup before?

Apparently, Klose has only scored 3 league goals this season. :hmm:

well, scored one tonight. but missed a couple more, so he might miss the mark by a fair bit.

Worth mentioning: Germany now scored more than four goals on their last three WC openers: 2002 (8-0 Saudi Arabia), 2006 (4-2 Costa Rica) and now (4-0 Australia).

Klose has scored in the last 3 German opening games mentioned above.

He has also set the record for the most substitutions having been taken off in 12 of his 15 matches.

Greece have now got the third worst record in World Cup history. If New Zealand lose by more than 3 goals tomorrow, then they go below them.

Portugal haven't lost since 2008 (15 games).

Javier Hernandez scored the 2,100th goal at the World Cup finals.

England have never lost to an African nation.

If Switzerland keep a clean sheet for around 70 minutes in their next game, they will have set a World Cup record for clean sheets.

This is the first World Cup where there are more South American teams (4) in the quarter finals than teams from Europe (3).

More penalties during normal play have not been scored than at any previous World Cups.

Germany (previously West Germany) will become the team to have played the most World Cup games on Wednesday with the semi-final being game 98 and the final/third place match being game 99.

Including the qualifiers, the Netherlands have won all of their games for the 2010 World Cup (14 out of 14). Spain have won all bar the Switzerland game (15 out of 16).

Howard Webb is the youngest World Cup final referee for 72 years.

Andre Ooijer celebrates his birthday today although he has only featured once in the competition so far.

No team who lost their first match at a World Cup finals has won the competition.

David Villa will become Spain's joint top scorer if he scores tonight.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/news/newsid=1271855/index.html#the+final+numbers

Mueller became the second youngest player to score 5 goals in a tournament. Pele was the youngest.

A European team finished third for the eighth consecutive time.

Uruguay haven't beaten a European team at a World Cup since 1970.

Today is the 44th anniversary since the 1966 World Cup started.

The Netherlands haven't lost in 25 games.

The Dutch have the record for the fastest goal in a World Cup final - Johan Neeskens in 1974 (2 minutes) - also refereed by an Englishman.

In 1974, West Germany beat the Netherlands to become the only European Champions to win the World Cup.

Spain are leading the Fair Play league with the Netherlands eighth.

Until at least this evening, the only non-English England-based player to score in a World Cup final is Emmanuel Petit.

*waits for Torres to knock in 6 this evening*

Most fouls - Uruguay 99
Most goals scored - Germany 16
Most shots - Spain 103
Most shots on goal - Uruguay 46
Most bookings - Netherlands 15

Players

Most shots on goal - David Villa 16
Most shots wide - Asamoah Gyan 18
Most shots - Asamoah Gyan 33
Most shots that hit the bar - Frank Lampard 2
Most tackles suffered - David Villa 12
Most offsides - Luis Suarez 9
Most deliveries in penalty area (?) - Xavi 14
Most tackles - Jorge Fucile 12
Most fouls committed - Keisuke Honda 19
Most fouls suffered - Keisuke Honda 23
Most passes - Xavi 570
Most passes completed - Xavi 464
Most crosses - Diego Forlan 50
Most completed crosses - Diego Forlan 13
Distance covered - Bastian Schweinsteiger 79.8 km
Top speed - Javier Hernandez - 32.15km/h

Vottorio Pozzo is the only man to manage two World Cup winning teams (Italy 1934 and 1938), although after managing Brazil in 1970, Mario Zagallo was also assistant coach when they won again in 1994.

Spain registered its highest ever TV audience [for the final] - 15.6 million (85.9% of the total TV audience - 91% were watching before the goal)

Holland 8.5 million viewers - 90.6% share

The BBC's audience was 15.1 million (a 54% share), compared with 3.3 million (a 12% share) for ITV.

Germany v Spain set a new TV ratings record for Germany when 31.3 million people watched, an 83.2% share. 25.1 million watched the final.

15.5 million watched the final in the US on ABC television.

Spain registered its highest ever TV audience [for the final] - 15.6 million (85.9% of the total TV audience - 91% were watching before the goal)

Really? I'd be amazed if there weren't more Brazilians watching in 1994, 1998 and 2002, given that Brazil has 192,000,000 people.

Back
Top Bottom