Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2 weeks in Bali/ Lombok/ Gili islands?

fakeplasticgirl

Keirleader
I'm flying to Indonesia for 2 weeks in september (I know, months away, i'm excited already!).

Has anybody been and what would you recommend? i'm currently thinking:

arrive in bali and spend the first couple of days near the airport as we arrive at 2am (Kuta? though I've heard it's a bit shit and over-developed?)
3 nights in Ubud
4-5 nights in Lombok (but where?)
3 nights on a gili (gili air?)

Has anybody been and do they have any must-see/ do suggestions?! We like chilling on the beach but not all the time, and not anywhere super-crowded if that is possible. would love to go snorkeling, but also hoping for some walking/exploring and temples and scenery too. And eating and drinking (on the cheap!) of course ;) Can you still do anything volcano-related without climbing Mt Rinjani which i believe takes 4 or 5 days? any recommendations would be very much appreciated :) TIA urbs

Last edited:
when did you go to trawangen? a lot of stuff i've read online suggest it's gone a bit shit there lately..
It was Feb/March 2008 or 2009. I liked it. Stayed in the Vila Ombak. It wasn't that 'off the beaten track'...lots of bars but it wasn't over the top like Kuta either. If you want quiet isolation probably not the place.

I remember dissing the Gili's in 1996, because I was so determined to go off the beaten track (ended up wandering around East Timor). Went in 2007 and loved it. I think they've changed a lot in recent years, deliberately aiming for a more upward clientele as travel in the region has become easier. And Bali, for all it's paradisical hype, doesn't have many great beaches, nothing like many of the southern Thai islands. Beaches get much better as you head east through the rest of islands but the Gilis are perfect so v attractive to 40-something's with money who travelled when they were younger. Especially now Bali is full.

Back
Top Bottom