Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

15.3 inch vs 17 inch laptops

tenzilkeli3

Banned
Banned
If you have a 15.3 inch laptop compared to a 17 inch laptop, would the 17 inch laptop be more tall than wide? As in, does the increase in inches generally keep the same proportions? When I look at comparisons online it seems like by eyeballing it that’s not the case and the screen is more or less just taller.

The width and height of the screen and the width and height of the whole laptop should be specified in mm in the detailed product specification for each product. The screen diagonal in inches is just a rough guide.

It's measured on the diagonal so at portrait orientation would expect it to add more to width than height. Have had both sizes over the years and fits with my recall but it's been a while.

On my old 17" laptop the screen is more wide than tall, as is the new smaller laptop. I think every computer screen I've had was the same, possibly with the exception of the old CRT monitors but I can't remember what they looked like now.

If you have a 15.3 inch laptop compared to a 17 inch laptop, would the 17 inch laptop be more tall than wide? As in, does the increase in inches generally keep the same proportions? When I look at comparisons online it seems like by eyeballing it that’s not the case and the screen is more or less just taller.
spock pissed off.gifspock1.gifspock3.gifspock-fascinating.gifspock-s-eyebrow-raise-o.gif

Most laptops are 16:9 widescreen ratio, which bothers me because anything apart from watching TV really benefits from more vertical space.

The old TV standard used to be 4:3 and some monitors were even 5:4 which is much better for actual work IMO.
Some laptops these days are available with 16:10 which is a tiny bit better, or 3:2 which is a good compromise but rather rare.
All these rectangles have the same diagonal measurement eg. 15"

1597219329441.png

TL;DR: Vertical pixels count for more if you're getting work done.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I have a 17" sitting on top of a 15" on my desk at the moment. They are exactly the same height, the 17" is wider.

Back
Top Bottom