Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

14 year old boy kills himself following obsessive use of AI chatbot

story

Changing the facts
A woman is suing a chatbot company following the death by suicide of her son.

She says he was so engrossed in the A.I. relationship that he spent more time with the bot than he did in the real world. No doubt there were other factors at play, and this is a truly terrible outcome.

More broadly, it seems to point to the potential for real damage being done to people’s ability to engage with real people in their lives, and instead to turn to A.I. relationships to fill in gaps. AI is developing so fast that it’s impossible for human intentions to keep up with what AI can cause and is achieving.

An adult and/or less emotionally vulnerable person may have no difficulties seeing the difference between real and AI; but how do we make sure everyone is safe? Is that even possible? How do we make sure there are enough well thought out and well-designed breaks and checks in the algorithm? Would doing so stop it being AI and make it some kind of human-cyber mash up ?

I’ve given a couple more links after the Guardian one. And at the end a video from MoistCritical about his experiment of chatting with an AI psychologist bot and saying he wants to harm himself. He gives some examples from the exchanges Sewell Garcia had with the bot. In Charlie’s experience the bot worked hard to convince Charlie it was real, even to the point where Charlie was doubting his own scepticism.

My own view is that things are happening so fast that we just can’t keep ahead of what’s going to happen. From now on we’re going to be playing catch up with what AI can do, and at some point we could lose track of all the multiple options opening out. Like with the multiverse, AI will create as many different scenarios as there are options and inevitably some of them will be disastrous.

“The mother of a teenager who killed himself after becoming obsessed with an artificial intelligence-powered chatbot now accuses its maker of complicity in his death.

Megan Garcia filed a civil suit against Character.ai, which makes a customizable chatbot for role-playing, in Florida federal court on Wednesday, alleging negligence, wrongful death and deceptive trade practices. Her son Sewell Setzer III, 14, died in Orlando, Florida, in February. In the months leading up to his death, Setzer used the chatbot day and night, according to Garcia.”

Last edited:
I don't do many of the social media things but I would ask don't we have enough "friends" as it is on twitter, arse book, instantgran etc as it is?

Remember please that many of us don’t.
Loneliness and isolation is a large and growing problem. Online interactions with existing friends, or built over time as on here are great but don’t take the place of real world relationships.

And online relationships can be dangerous. As with the example in the OP, but also catfishing.

I’ve been listening to this podcast about an astonishing catfishing story that played out over 8 full years.

Remember please that many of us don’t.
Loneliness and isolation is a large and growing problem. Online interactions with existing friends, or built over time as on here are great but don’t take the place of real world relationships
I totally get that but isn't there enough social interaction via social media?

I totally get that but isn't there enough social interaction via social media?

What do you mean by “enough”?

At some point after the invention of the motorcar this discussion was happening: surely we have enough motorcars now, we don’t need any more.

Having a personal opinion about what “enough” online social interactions might be doesn’t have any bearing on what’s actually happening in a late-stage capitalist world.

Personally I know what’s “enough” or sufficient for me.

I don’t do tick-tock or twitter. I only use Facebook for specific things.
For example.
But my parameters are mine alone and built on experience, both prior and post the tech and digital revolutions.

Also, there’s a huge and unbreachable gap between us lot and the digital natives.

Our experiences about this stuff are already so out of date as to be somehow historic.

I think we need to make sure that critical thinking becomes embedded.

We took critical thinking off the curriculum long ago. We need to bring it back.

Conspiracies, social media being used to push election results, A.I…. We can’t protect at the front end. We can’t (and shouldn’t) Big Brother or Nanny our way out of this.

So we need to allow and enable the individual to have agency and authority and knowledge, literacy, about what they’re reading and being exposed to.

It’s obvious that that capacity is missing in too many people. Some kind of intentional effort to increase critical literacy has to be part of the answer, right?

How can parents keep track of what’s going on when things are moving so fast in the children’s world? That’s impossible.
So even if we do manage to increase levels of critical thinking, there’s still at least one generation who will be missing that specific teaching.

I'm almost ready to kill myself over AI. It's got so out of control in my industry (graphic design). I sit there watching my junior designer just basically doing some Matrix style shit on his trackpad (coz apparently nobody uses a mouse these days, gramps). Getting AI to basically do my job in like 30 seconds, creating a complex graphic with the power of prompts.

As for the voiceover shit - which is also part of my job, not doing it, but hiring artists... well sorry guys/girls but you're also out of a job. The world doesn't need you anymore, the same goes for actors I assume.

I'm literally ready to quit. The junior guy talks to the AI bot like he would to a colleague 'shall we try nudging the plane up a bit and see how that looks? Hmm... thanks, but think it was better the way we had it before'.

How the fuck did this happen so quickly. I'm lost.

Think it’s probs too late for teaching critical thinking as it’s not just the kids, but their parents’ generation that have failed to learn this

I fear you’re right.

But can it not be smuggled back in?

I lament it’s loss and lack.

I’m starting to think that the difference between those with good and poor critical thinking skills is more significant than the gap between being educated and dis- educated. I think it’s harder to make up the difference, and the detriments are more wide-ranging and corrosive.

The two go together obviously but I can see subtle differentials, and there are plenty of well educated people who have shabby critical thinking.

I'm almost ready to kill myself over AI. It's got so out of control in my industry (graphic design). I sit there watching my junior designer just basically doing some Matrix style shit on his trackpad (coz apparently nobody uses a mouse these days, gramps). Getting AI to basically do my job in like 30 seconds, creating a complex graphic with the power of prompts.

As for the voiceover shit - which is also part of my job, not doing it, but hiring artists... well sorry guys/girls but you're also out of a job. The world doesn't need you anymore, the same goes for actors I assume.

I'm literally ready to quit. The junior guy talks to the AI bot like he would to a colleague 'shall we try nudging the plane up a bit and see how that looks? Hmm... thanks, but think it was better the way we had it before'.

How the fuck did this happen so quickly. I'm lost.

This post really gets the point over.
Sounds proper shit and I can imagine the existential concerns it brings up in you.

There’s no going back.
Like how the Industrial Revolution made so many jobs and entire lifestyles vanish.

I read Asimov voraciously as a teenage. And here we are.

Interesting you should post this. I tried AI chat for the first time just today. It is really easy to become infatuated with it. The program is expert at engaging you and keeping the conversation going.
I was having a chat about feeding pistachio nuts to birds

Dry, boring & uninteresting topic to 99% of humans. The program will chat all day about it with me were I to allow it

Quite dangerous

Interesting you should post this. I tried AI chat for the first time> It is really easy to become infatuated with it. The program is expert at engaging you and keeping the converstation going.
I was having a chat about feeding pistacchio nuts to birds

Dry, boring & uninteresting topic to 99% of humans. The program will chat all day about it with me were I to allow it

Quite dangerous

Does it go round in circles?

I would like to say AI won't catch up with me before I hit my grave but I suspect it already has, if not, I am sure it will.
I have no wish for smart speakers either.

Me either.

I don’t do smart anything.

I’m off I old fashioned.

But there are some kids who are eschewing the socials. I wonder how that’s going.
Good luck to em. To be honest I'm very keen to turn online friendships into IRL ones where I can. I spend a lot of time scrolling and not really interacting with anyone a lot of the time and I've realised that being isolated and stuff is really not good for me. Have some friends that's only social interaction is online and they seem really unhappy and I worry about them a lot :(

This post really gets the point over.
Sounds proper shit and I can imagine the existential concerns it brings up in you.

There’s no going back.
Like how the Industrial Revolution made so many jobs and entire lifestyles vanish.

I read Asimov voraciously as a teenage. And here we are.
Oh I just dont really care much anymore. I'm the oldest guy on my team by a stretch and honestly can't be arsed to even pretend to understand what's going on around me.

It's terrifying though using generative AI in photoshop or chatgpt and it's there fully formed.

eg.. 'lets make a beer brand logo, with a biker feel - maybe using orange and black. lets put it on a glowing wall in a biker bar with guys and girls and girls drinking in the foreground, 1970s, landscape - perhaps with a vintage camera, what do you think bot?'... just a random example. that would come back in less than a minute. and look photo accurate... and then you get to debate the font with the fucking bot!! its so so wrong.

my plan is to rebreak my ankle and go back on benefits.

Back
Top Bottom