Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [Das Kapital]..........

How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [Das Kapital].

• Total voters

TremulousTetra

prismatic universe
How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [ie that from Das Kapital onwards] for understanding the current economy/economic crisis?
1= useless
5= indispensable

[open to anyone, who can be bothered to vote.]

How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [Das Kapital] for understanding the current economy/economic crisis?
1= useless
5= indispensable

It's as useful or as indispensable as you expect it or accept it to be. In other words, it depends on your own perspective.

Who are you asking? People who've read it? People who think they have an idea of what it says?

I know, I know!! :oops:

I suspect he means the abridged version/York Notes version. :)

You've got two volumes of V4 to go yet slacker!

Good point though - does the OP mean the whole lot? Vol 1?

It's as useful or as indispensable as you expect it or accept it to be. In other words, it depends on your own perspective.
see op.
How useful would you rate, the economic analysis of Karl Marx [ie that from Das Kapital onwards] for understanding the current economy/economic crisis?
1= useless
5= indispensable

[open to anyone, who can be bothered to vote.]

so, your vote is. lol

i bought volume 1 but have been scared to start it. i put it off by trying to read zizek, which was incomprehensible. now i've put off zizek by reading aron nimzowitsch 'my system'. so far so good.

i voted "not much use" because, as an economic text, i'm not sure that it's terribly valid anymore tbh.

however, i accept that this could be seen as an iconclastic viewpoint, and not one that i have any chance of maintaining in any kind of intellectual capacity i'm afraid.

my economies are, generally, of scale tbh. or morrisons :)

I've looked at Marx and I cant focus or understand what a lot of it is because of the way I'm wired and when I have tried reading any of it I felt this dull thudding pain in my head.

I'm 42 I doubt I will ever read it, it doesn't do anything for me as it seems to disapear up its own arse.

thanks audiotech, that's the best explanation i've ever seen of the crisis of capitalism, i am watching it now

I managed I-III, but it took so long that by the time I'd finished V.3 I'd forgotten most of V.s 1 & 2, despite copious note-taking. :oops:

That creates an image in my head. The image is something like this:

Bartleby_the_Scrivener_and_Other_Stories_The_Lightning-Rod_Man_The_Bell-Tower_Herman_Melville_unabridged_CDs_Naxos.jpg

Im as layman as you like but bear with me: from what i understand isnt marxs central predicition of crisis all to do with "overproduction in the midst of underconsumption" - capitalists get better and better at producing stuff, so you get loads of it, then they squeeze workers wages so they can afford less and less. http://www.internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article289 i suppose the push to get everyone spending on credit cards/dodgey mortgages could be applied to that, though im not sure this is what marx had in mind.

writing in industrial revolution conditions its all a lot more to with the mechanics of physical production - i dont know as i havent read the originals, but is there much about stock market speculation? even if there is, a lot of the tricks of the bankers trade these days ('instruments'etc.) are modern inventions, that have left lots of people who studied economics in the past in the dark. i doubt kapital is much use in unpicking modern banking pracitices

i read an interesting critique of marx's predictions of crisis by paul petard in The Whinger - he sites all the cases Marx predicted the crisis would really bite and capitalism would eat itself - seemingly every year marx was sure this time it was the one, each time he was spectacularly wrong. it did make the point that marx's analysis of the structural weaknesses of capitalism appeared to be very wrong - capitalism is a lot tougher and more durable a beast than marx understood it to be.

i think in Capital theres stuff about how under capitalism morals get stripped out<that applies to this crisis - even right wingers feel that bankers got greedy and acted immorally, and that this way of act is embedded in the system
I've looked at Marx and I cant focus or understand what a lot of it is because of the way I'm wired and when I have tried reading any of it I felt this dull thudding pain in my head.
its way beyond me too - though ive had a go at a summary once or twice. TBH i struggle to read anything from before 1950 in the original - they dont talk propper!

I managed I-III, but it took so long that by the time I'd finished V.3 I'd forgotten most of V.s 1 & 2, despite copious note-taking. :oops:

strange - the way the whole thing unfolds & develops throughout the 3 volumes doesn't really lend itself to forgetting, conceptually, what preceded it - one of its many strengths in my opinion

re the comments about it being a difficult read, I find many things difficult to read or make sense of, but this is not something I would place in that category - it's long (it has to be) yes, but not particularly difficult (and this is the opinion of someone who left school at 16/no university education etc..)

as for this thread, the reference to it being an 'economic' text or an 'economic' analysis kind of misses the point of the work in the first place

Im as layman as you like but bear with me: from what i understand isnt marxs central predicition of crisis all to do with "overproduction in the midst of underconsumption" - capitalists get better and better at producing stuff, so you get loads of it, then they squeeze workers wages so they can afford less and less. http://www.internationalviewpoint.org/spip.php?article289 i suppose the push to get everyone spending on credit cards/dodgey mortgages could be applied to that, though im not sure this is what marx had in mind.

writing in industrial revolution conditions its all a lot more to with the mechanics of physical production - i dont know as i havent read the originals, but is there much about stock market speculation? even if there is, a lot of the tricks of the bankers trade these days ('instruments'etc.) are modern inventions, that have left lots of people who studied economics in the past in the dark. i doubt kapital is much use in unpicking modern banking pracitices

i read an interesting critique of marx's predictions of crisis by paul petard in The Whinger - he sites all the cases Marx predicted the crisis would really bite and capitalism would eat itself - seemingly every year marx was sure this time it was the one, each time he was spectacularly wrong. it did make the point that marx's analysis of the structural weaknesses of capitalism appeared to be very wrong - capitalism is a lot tougher and more durable a beast than marx understood it to be.

i think in Capital theres stuff about how under capitalism morals get stripped out<that applies to this crisis - even right wingers feel that bankers got greedy and acted immorally, and that this way of act is embedded in the system
its way beyond me too - though ive had a go at a summary once or twice. TBH i struggle to read anything from before 1950 in the original - they dont talk propper!

Tell you what, don't doubt they have much to say about modern capitalism, have a look for yourself - because you're miles off across the board with the above.

That stuff from Petard sounds mental as those type of predictions simply don't appear in Marx. Didn't you teach him anything when he lived with you spanky?

i doubt kapital is much use in unpicking modern banking pracitices

why don't you actually read it to find out and then make an informed judgement on it?

even if there is, a lot of the tricks of the bankers trade these days ('instruments'etc.) are modern inventions

stripped bare of their surface forms and phenomenal appearance - you'll find these 'tricks' are nothing more than an expression of an underlying essence that funnily enough marx laid bare rather convincingly in capital - the same could be said of most other 'modern' manifestations of capital

Back
Top Bottom