Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Workfare steward the Jubilee

^it's a shame that someone who has obviously worked fucking admirably hard and done well for herself so obviously doesn't give a shit about the people who are now making her money.

I doubt those two things are unrelated. This Prince character's backstory reads a lot like that of Emma Harrison, another noted parasite and crook.

Seems the chairty responsible for this have form...

Tomorrow's People criticised by Charity Commission......

Appearance of chief executive Debbie Scott in party's election manifesto amounted to giving the charity's support to the Tories, commission says

The Charity Commission has censured employment charity Tomorrow’s People over its decision to allow its chief executive, Debbie Scott, to appear in the Conservative Party election manifesto.

It does if you have any kind of equal opportunities policy in place, or for some other reason have to advertise beyond the Job Centre and networks...

This demonstrates that the term 'small business' covers too much ground, we need to narrow it down a bit when discussing these sorts of details. The companies I've worked for never had equal opportunities stuff in place, small enough to be mostly off the radar when it came to this sort of thing. So long as they didn't put their foot right in it, they had to spend almost no time at all even paying lip-service to such things. Again its going to depend on what sector you are in as to how much you can ignore this sort of stuff, as well as their size, but there is certainly an underbelly of businesses that exist in a world that bears little relation to the way things are shown on the telly or talked about by politicians, the media or academia.

Imagine for a moment that we actually had local news that reflected what was going on day to day on a local level and would ring true with many peoples experiences. It would not resemble the actual news we get since it would be full of tales of workplace stuff that runs contrary to the mainstream narratives of how this country has evolved, and it would also feature far more dodgy geezers and the interesting blurry lines between business, politicians, organised criminals etc.

For festival stewards very rarely does the value of a ticket equal the hours they work at minimum wage, it's near £2.50-£3 an hour

It's hardly difficult work though.

This on the other hand is fucking disgraceful
that's the way we always worked it, can't speak for others, but if they don't then I don't see they're complying with minimum wage regs (the ticket bit is a bit dubious anyway, but at least if it's the equivalent value of min wage for the hours then there's some effort at compliance).

so for a £50 a ticket festie we'd do 2 x 4 hour shifts, for a £100 a ticket festie 2 x 8 hour or 3 x 6 hour etc. It wasn't always exact, but it was in that ball park - other than the first glade festival where tbh we did take the piss a bit, but without it glade wouldn't have existed, and we did lay on transport, food etc for our crew, but also minimum wage was much lower back then anyway.

that's the way we always worked it, can't speak for others, but if they don't then I don't see they're complying with minimum wage regs (the ticket bit is a bit dubious anyway, but at least if it's the equivalent value of min wage for the hours then there's some effort at compliance).

so for a £50 a ticket festie we'd do 2 x 4 hour shifts, for a £100 a ticket festie 2 x 8 hour or 3 x 6 hour etc. It wasn't always exact, but it was in that ball park - other than the first glade festival where tbh we did take the piss a bit, but without it glade wouldn't have existed, and we did lay on transport, food etc for our crew, but also minimum wage was much lower back then anyway.

I did 18 hours for an £80 ticket last year, and it was every afternoon on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Theres at least one steward companies I can think of that requires 3 x 8.5 hour shifts for a ticket. For £140 ticket that's still not minimum wage, infact 50p under I think.

I did 18 hours for an £80 ticket last year, and it was every afternoon on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Theres at least one steward companies I can think of that requires 3 x 8.5 hour shifts for a ticket. For £140 ticket that's still not minimum wage, infact 50p under I think.
Yes. But the thing is that you at least hopefully got a ticket to see something you WANTED to see. Whereas this was just hermaj on a fuckin barge in the rain.

I can't remember whether anyone else has said this on the thread.
The explanation given upthread that the 'volunteers' were allowed to keep clobber to the tune of 100 groat: does that not constitute staff having to pay for their own uniform/workgear? Which I thought is illegal?

hmm, bit much

borderline. Did they give you a meal break in that? If so, they'd probably say that wasn't working time, so 3 x 8 hours... not quite there for over 20s, but thereabouts.

Key points:

In the letter, Prescott said the situation raised "very serious questions" about the "suitability of using private security contractors to do frontline policing instead of trained police officers"

Prescott, who is running to be the elected police and crime commissioner for the Humberside police force area

Le sigh...

Yes one of Prescott's personal motivations for highlighting this story is made clear, but never mind, it shouldn't really detract from the issues that matter in this case.

Poking around on companies house seems to suggest that both the security company and the training company have nearly been struck off twice each. I assume it was down to a failure to file the right paperwork, but unlike the other companies she had that are dissolved, they sorted out the paperwork in the end.

Molly Prince seems to be known as Mary Prince or Mary Jane Prince on many of the company records. She's setup a couple more limited companies this year, as Molly Prince, with the same address as the security company. They are called Vision Lifestyle Ltd and Commitment Fitness Ltd, with little sign of them having done anything yet.

I wonder why she's using the tatty little office in Hindley as the trading address for some of her firms (including CPUK), yet various Manchester business centre ones for a different bunch of enterprises, and her own swish £1/2mn Worsley home for others?

Seems to be money sloshing around a bunch of training and security companies all covering much the same ground, with none looking to be anything particularly outstanding.

When she says "that jobs could be lost if the firm's security contracts were jeopardised" is that a hint that she's up for a shut-and-run?

I wonder why she's using the tatty little office in Hindley as the trading address for some of her firms (including CPUK), yet various Manchester business centre ones for a different bunch of enterprises, and her own swish £1/2mn Worsley home for others?

Seems to be money sloshing around a bunch of training and security companies all covering much the same ground, with none looking to be anything particularly outstanding.

Certainly doesn't appear at all outstanding based on the limited impression that can be gained from the internet. Details about size of contracts needed to get a better feel for it really, and the sector likely comes with its own baggage that may not get touched as part of this story.

Tomorrow's People set up a twitter account a couple of hours ago in a vain attempt to fight fires...

@TPcharity

Tomorrow's People@TPcharity
@BillEstersonMP @PCS_Northwest We're working to get answers - happy to update you tomorrow - our main focus is our clients at this time

@BillEstersonMP We're working hard to find out, CPUK say there was a mistake with timings - meant our clients arrived much earlier than shld

@BillEstersonMP Supporting our clients to get qualifications is paramount - we're very concerned @ CPUK's lack of attention for their safety

We're also very sorry to our clients that were involved and we're making contact with them asap #jubileestewards

#jubileestewards we'll be issuing a full statement tomorrow morning - we're urgently reviewing our involvement with Close Protection UK

@johnprescott @guardian John - what happened to our clients was totally unacceptable and contrary to how Tomorrow's People operate

btw, Molly Prince contributed to a book about the nature of the 'security' industry, along with such notables as Dave Courtney...

can't find link yet..

You can't have looked very far.

bouncers-and-bodyguards-1.jpg

BOUNCERS AND BODYGUARDS
By Robin Barratt
ISBN: 978-1845963026
Published March 2008
Bouncers and Bodyguards is a collection of astonishing true stories about the tough world of personal protection and nightclub doors from some of Britain's most notorious figures. Featuring: Charlie Bronson, Dave Courtney, Mickey Francis, Paul Knight, Robin Barratt, Bob Etchells, Stuart Cheshire, Jim Shortt, Scott Taylor, Inna Zabrodskaya, Sandy Sanderson, Marc Sand, Andy Walker, Alex Powell, John Badly, Molly Prince and Damien Buckwell.

http://www.robinbarratt.co.uk/

Hmm. Classic distancing tactic. Not enough to get them off the hook, I hope.

Especially since it was Tomorrow's People who arranged it in the first place!

But then TP has history in placing vulnerable 'trainees' in the care of iffy ex-publicans (especially unstable, explosive-tempered ones)...

I believe most were only doing the NVQ2 in event safety http://www.ldc-uk.com/Qualifications/Spectator-Safety-NVQ-Level-2.aspx

as someone else has said, this should be about 2days, and isn't an SIA course, it's just a minor step up from the 2-3 hour briefings we used to give volunteer stewards at festivals... well, I say step up, but I doubt it.

I hadn't spotted this gem in the Grauniad article before:

Tomorrow's People is one of eight youth charities that were supported in the Guardian and Observer's Christmas appeal last year.

Muppets :D

Back
Top Bottom