Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

Tell you what, when "us on the Left" can start pulling the figures that UKIP do maybe then we can sneer from our high ground, till then we'd be better served trying to learn something from the "swivel eyed loons" who are doing politics a lot better than we are.

:(

Is the lesson that we need a leader of the same political class as people who run the BBC?

This is better

BmahnTsIQAAJzQx.jpg:large

(in Swansea apparently)

Well that didn't last long. It was altered for the first time yesterday or last night I think, and was still there 7:30 am this morning, but on the way back this afternoon -- poster completely removed!

May well get replaced by a new UKIP poster mind you -- they/Sykes have paid for the space after all.

Survation have instantly polled about Farage. The numbers suggest that the party does poll better than its leader, and that there is little consensus about whether or not he's a bottler.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/in...-of-line-with-the-latest-euro-voting-numbers/

Participants were asked were asked whether they agreed or disagreed with two statements:-

1. 1. “I would vote for Nigel Farage if he was standing in my constituency”....Agree 21%, Disagree 49%, DK 30%

2. “Nigel Farage chose not to stand in Newark primarily because he is scared of losing”....Agree 32%, Disagree 30%, DK 38%

That second question is a bit like 'push polling' as I understand it. Expect to see a lot of that over the next year (A Crosby trick). Who commissioned the survey?

E2a: Huff Post. Kind of figures.

That second question is a bit like 'push polling' as I understand it. Expect to see a lot of that over the next year (A Crosby trick). Who commissioned the survey?

E2a: Huff Post. Kind of figures.
Yeah, but 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 doesn't suggest the push was particularly effective?

Yeah, but 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 doesn't suggest the push was particularly effective?

I think the term as I understand it is to install ideas into voters by carrying ideas in the polling question (in this case Farage bottling it). Cruder examples in the US were downright dishonest: "if senator X was known to have fathered an illegitimate child would you still vote for him?)

So maybe highlighting Farage choosing not to stand (or chickening out) is a way of portraying him negatively via the question. (True 'push polling' involves trying to contact as many people as possible to sew an idea, maybe not the case here).

Absolutely agree. Farage isn't stupid. And even if he got lucky in Newark what could he possibly gain by becoming the only UKIP MP a year before the general election?
His whole strategy is to push Cameron out and then form a pact with the anti-European section of the Tory Party. They've been fighting this internal battle for decades. Farage's plan for the 2015 election is to try to attract away as many voters as he can who might have voted Labour by portraying himself as the anti-Westminster alternative. Then the day after the 2015 election he'll form a pact with whoever has replaced Cameron. Result: another Tory government. Another government without a mandate that got to power by trickery and deception.
If Farage did manage to get into Westminster now in Newark he would be wrecking his own plan. He'd suddenly lose his anti-Westminster stance and Cameron's pals would try to stitch him up with even the slightest expenses difficulties he made in Westminster. And meanwhile his real supporters on the Tory benches would suddenly be forced to show their support.
By staying out he can keep his real strategy away from the public until after he's conned them out of their vote to bring in an even more extreme Tory Party.
No wonder Norman Tebitt supports him.

Imo, this post on guardian cif(by a ususally spot on poster) seem very astute

it is a fairly open secret in media circles that things are going to go extremely shit for them over the next few days. hang onto your hats....

Apparently, according to social media, Farage sold out a 2,500 seater venue for his meeting in Bath earlier this week, any confirmation?

Why? How? And if it's a fairly open secret why won't you give any details.

Because I do not want to fuck up what could possibly be a god send. I can say I am pretty sure that the Guardian is going to break an explosive story involving serious criminality and massive corruption which goes right to the top of the party either tomorrow or Friday.

ETA: I would say this might be why Farage has looked rather on edge today

Apparently, according to social media, Farage sold out a 2,500 seater venue for his meeting in Bath earlier this week, any confirmation?
The forum has 2000 capacity when all sections are open. They sold out the lower part and upper circle - i don't know if that's the entire place or not.

Because I do not want to fuck up what could possibly be a god send. I can say I am pretty sure that the Guardian is going to break an explosive story involving serious criminality and massive corruption which goes right to the top of the party either tomorrow or Friday.

If true, the tories will be very pleased.

The forum has 2000 capacity when all sections are open. They sold out the lower part and upper circle - i don't know if that's the entire place or not.

Plus there was a social media campaign to book seats and not turn up (as they were free) Not sure how big that got

How would posting any details "fuck up what could possibly be a god send"?

How would posting any details "fuck up what could possibly be a god send"?

I dunno. Can UKIP afford the circumstances of Carter-Fuck or Schillings to get an injunction against the paper?

If they can, the above would be enough for them to go on if it went before Mr Justice Idiot. (<-- name suppressed because I conveniently forgot it.)

I dunno. Can UKIP afford the circumstances of Carter-Fuck or Schillings to get an injunction against the paper?

If they can, the above would be enough for them to go on if it went before Mr Justice Idiot. (<-- name suppressed because I conveniently forgot it.)
Well if it's an open secret they must already be aware of it and would already have such wheels in motion.

Back
Top Bottom