Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

sheps-ipa_zpszzg4ez9l.jpg

and/or the 'Brilliant Ale"/"Double Stout" @ £1.49 = good value. Can occasionally be found @ ASDA for 4for£5, but now often at Lidl.

6.1% yeeessss!

That would have been handy to know before I went on a vegetables and nuts run and came home with Greek meze (or is that the Turkish term?). The spicy red peppers stuffed with cheese are actually spicy. :cool:

ETA. Re olives innit.

Red peppers stuffed with cheese in oil are lush....chuck them on a bed of rocket with small plumb toms chopped cuccs and half a red onion ..I just add cider vinegar to the oil and its instant salad dressing

Job done with a can of tuna

Fast quick meal

There's a corner shop at the village on the way to Aldi's.He's a lovely bloke who runs the shop and does loads of special offers and out-of-date crisps and things which have always been good quality. He's been ill though and I was talking to his son who's taken over who said they're finding business difficult.

I decided I'm going to try to get as much as I can from there and only the special Aldi type stuff from Aldi (we get a lift there). The shop cost £15 and I went round Aldi checking the prices and I found that I'd ended up paying about £1 more.

Use em before we lose em people :) .

Lidl is selling snails at the moment! Going to pass on that but lots of other nice things, lots of cheap cheeses

On a positive note ....

I treated myself to a pair of memory foam chair pads for my computer chair and so far so good
£12.99 has to be worthwhile to help deal with my nerve issues...

Oh and I bought a 7 watt diffused LED bayonet lamp that's easily as bright as the 11 watt fluorescent alongside it in the bathroom - so I will buy a second at least.
£3.99 and supposedly dimmable, but I haven't tried that ...

Having recently moved I now find myself not too far from a Lidl. On my first visit I found they were selling piles of black rubber car mats at a discounted price. Bit confusing what they do with bags ..

I have heard a rumour that lidl are doing the sewing machine offer again a singer machine for around £80 and a over locker for £120. I can confirm that my singer machine I bought from lidl 18 months ago is great.
They're selling the Singer Brilliance 6180 for £119 which seems a very good deal. The cheapest I can find elsewhere is £189 for an ex display model. Though there's a couple of amusingly bad reviews of it on Amazon. Mrs maomao's been talking about a sewing machine recently and her birthday's coming up but she's worried about whether it's suitable for a beginner or not. I was taught to use one when I was a kid and it seemed pretty straightforward to me but haven't done so in 30 years or so. Any advice?

They're selling the Singer Brilliance 6180 for £119 which seems a very good deal. The cheapest I can find elsewhere is £189 for an ex display model. Though there's a couple of amusingly bad reviews of it on Amazon. Mrs maomao's been talking about a sewing machine recently and her birthday's coming up but she's worried about whether it's suitable for a beginner or not. I was taught to use one when I was a kid and it seemed pretty straightforward to me but haven't done so in 30 years or so. Any advice?
http://www.singerco.com/products/2124/6180-brilliance/reviews

from the looks, it either works or it dosen't, they have a quality control issue - no supprise, its a singer, they have had a rep for quality control issues since they stopped making the old black and gold models.

i suppose at least they aren't trying to hide it, with that many poor reviews on their own website, but IMO, No way.

http://www.singerco.com/products/2124/6180-brilliance/reviews

from the looks, it either works or it dosen't, they have a quality control issue - no supprise, its a singer, they have had a rep for quality control issues since they stopped making the old black and gold models.

i suppose at least they aren't trying to hide it, with that many poor reviews on their own website, but IMO, No way.
20 4 and 5 star reviews. 17 1 and 2 star. Very mixed, just like the reviews on Amzon.

20 4 and 5 star reviews. 17 1 and 2 star. Very mixed, just like the reviews on Amzon.

which says to me, it's fine when it works, but often dosen't.
because this isn'[t people complaining that it dosen't ahve the design or capabilities of a 500 quid machine, but that it dosen't work

If you want a not too expensive beginners machine, Janome are your best bet and Sewing Machines Direct are very good:

Janome SMD Exclusive SMD500 - Buy Online

Janome J3-18 - Buy Online

Just had 2 boeuf bourguignion pies from Lidl (£1.99 for 2).Funny thing this,the first one was really lacking in flavour,really flat but the second one was fucking banging,loaded with up with flavour.Got another two in the freezer.I shall try them later in the week and report back.:hmm:.

Glenryck tinned mackerel fillets. Really really nice, a lot nicer than the bog standard aldi ones.

eta - I bought tomato sauce ones today. They're not the nice ones :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom