Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-referendum HandWringo™!

Gwyneth Paltrow blubbering drama queen award goes to .....

I was just waiting for a " useless eaters " at the end of that one . Bound to be hate crimes against the elderly if these hipsters aren't stopped/ rounded up whatever . .

This person argues that 'the old' don't have a future in this country the way that we have a future and an investment in this country".

In the Putney debates in 1647 between the Levellers/New Model Army and property owners and rich over the terms of the frnachise etc, Thomas Rainsborough argued against attempts to restrict rights, suffrage and entitlements to a select group of people, saying that "for really I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he".

Those opposed to that position, led by Henry Ireton, counter-claimed "I think that no person hath a right to an interest or share in the disposing of the affairs of the kingdom, and in determining or choosing those that determine what laws we shall be ruled by here - no person hath a right to this, that hath not a permanent fixed interest in this kingdom".

This person's politics are backward reactionary and anti-democratic - even by the standards of the 17th century. In the 21st century. And you can bet that they think of themselves as progressive.

Last edited:
This is mad. About 1 30 in. The comedy guy who's been asked his reaction to the result says " democracy doesn't work " and the liberals in the London audience start a round of applause. He immediately shits himself and explains he was only joking in an attempt to stop them . But the crowd weren't joking . Spontaneous applause. Some good points made by the panel though .

Them Chartists have a lot to answer for. Suffragettes too probably .

Anyone else get the feeling that a lot of liberals would be well up for a Europhile Pinochet?

27615FB3000005-Copy.jpg

Tony Blair branded 'megalomaniac' following Newsweek interview

Inside the Mind of Tony Blair: The Newsweek Interview

Last edited:
Ronnie did a solo but it was not a released song

Shadow of a Gunman! You have no idea how much you've just helped me. Studied it at school but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called, been annoying me on and off for years that.

Excuse generally irrelevant post.

Reactions: Ax^
Shadow of a Gunman! You have no idea how much you've just helped me. Studied it at school but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called, been annoying me on and off for years that.

Excuse generally irrelevant post.
(Oddly enough, Dominc Behan, who wrote the song, was not yet born when the play it's part of above was written).

The patriot game

Eta

Actually Dylan nicked a few more than that . He was very close to the Clancy brothers and Tommy Makem in New York back in the 60s . Roddy McCorley was turned into something or other as well .

Last edited:
don't know if it's been linked already but I think this from the Guardian a few days ago is a pretty impressive specimen:

Stewart Dakers in the Guardian said:
You are unlikely to hear a politician express such reservations, but the reality is that the decision to leave the EU was won by a section of the population that was effectively disqualified by its declining competence

Our heads find it difficult to navigate our way through the daily round of personal housekeeping, let alone global economics. Our hearts are too easily seduced by honeyed lies.

So rather than beat ourselves up for what was understandable misjudgment, let’s concentrate on making amends. We can start by moderating the demands we make, especially for the various benefits like TV licences, bus passes and winter fuel allowances.

Renunciation should be the order of our day – it is time for us elders to incorporate the sell-by-date ethos into our political engagement, to recognise that the convictions of the day before yesterday are increasingly irrelevant to today’s decisions that construct tomorrow’s world. As we will not be around tomorrow, perhaps we should confine our role to consultant rather than executive in its formation.

The way they seem willing to make these arguments in the name of tolerance is staggering really.

Staggering.

Interesting that it is apparently fine in Guardianland when the exact same, apparently terminally thick and so incapable of reasoning, electorate votes in Tory-Libdem and Tory majority governments that align with the interests of the Guardian. Does it never occur to these liberals that the exact same argument could be turned around and used against them? Clearly they are too sheltered, too rich and prejudiced to understand why someone would vote for X, Y or Z so perhaps it is time to disenfranchise them as well.

Staggering.

Interesting that it is apparently fine in Guardianland when the exact same, apparently terminally thick and so incapable of reasoning, electorate votes in Tory-Libdem and Tory majority governments that align with the interests of the Guardian. Does it never occur to these liberals that the exact same argument could be turned around and used against them? Clearly they are too sheltered, too rich and prejudiced to understand why someone would vote for X, Y or Z so perhaps it is time to disenfranchise them as well.
yes. And despite saying 'we' and 'our' a lot in his article, the implication is clearly that Dakers was not taken in, he's much too intelligent and dispassionate to be fooled.

It's a classic liberal attitude - they're the only ones who are non ideological, who listen to the experts and weigh up the evidence. At no point is there really any admission that those they give credence to are conveniently aligned with their interests, it's all totally neutral of course.

This article is a magnificent effort published by the LSE's 'impartial, evidence-based blog about Brexit'. Some of my favourite quotes:
This is not about inequality – poor, middle and rich have all lost out.
The BBC also failed to reflect the consensus view of the economics profession on the harm of Brexit.
Improving economic literacy cannot be solely accomplished by academics. This is an issue of basic skills that needs to be tackled in schools.
But in the Brexit campaign, I doubt more effort by economists would have made any difference to the result. The economic consensus was clear. I directed the Centre for Economic Performance and no one could have tried any harder than we did to get the message out. This included being on TV and radio, blogging, travelling all over the country to give talks from Sunderland to Shropshire and even being livestreamed on Facebook with grime rapper, Big Narstie.
And of course, even when the message was presented clearly, many people would not listen or believe it. The usual clichés about not predicting the financial crisis were dutifully rolled out.
I never thought I would experience such an Orwellian nightmare in my country
The referendum was won on a drumbeat of anti-foreigner sentiment. It’s the same tune being played by demagogues in every corner of the globe. It’s the same tune that was played in the 1930s
it has become a tsunami of bile that has downed and drowned a once great nation

He even livestreamed with Big Narstie and we just wouldn't listen :(
And we had the almighty nerve to bring up past failings of economists instead of being stupefied by their expertise :(

This article is a magnificent effort published by the LSE's 'impartial, evidence-based blog about Brexit'. Some of my favourite quotes:

He even livestreamed with Big Narstie and we just wouldn't listen :(
And we had the almighty nerve to bring up past failings of economists instead of being stupefied by their expertise :(
I prefer my economic theory to be expounded by Snoop Lion

Gwyneth Paltrow blubbering drama queen award goes to .....

I was just waiting for a " useless eaters " at the end of that one . Bound to be hate crimes against the elderly if these hipsters aren't stopped/ rounded up whatever . .

democracy was never intended for degenerates

The first set of quotes came from intellectuals of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, at the moment when democracies were becoming realities in the West. They express the fears of the elite at the idea of the masses having a say in governance. All subscribed to eugenics as a way of improving society, and many saw themselves as progressives and on the left.

The second set of quotes come from this year, in response in particular to the Brexit vote in Britain and to the rise of Donald Trump in America. The echoes of the old fears are unmistakable. Even the language often echoes that of the past – Richard Dawkins’ blast against ‘unqualified simpletons’ brings to mind, with a shudder, the old talk of the ‘feebleminded’ ‘morons’ and ‘imbeciles’.

echoes of the past: fear of the masses

A few weeks ago I compared quotes critical of democracy from the early twentieth century and from today. As I am away over the next few weeks, I thought I might publish from my books extracts that deal with historical discussions about the dangers of democracy. The aim is not to suggest that today’s debate is merely a replay of those of the past – it clearly is not. But there are echoes, and it is useful to consider what are the common themes, and where the discussions differ.

Another entry in what Malik is now labeling as an 'echoes from the past series' - it's good he doing this:

echoes from the past: the racial view of class

I am publishing through August on Pandaemonium a series of extracts from my books on the theme of historical fears of the masses and of democracy. This second extract (the first is here), from The Meaning of Race, is not about democracy as such but about how the Victorian elite saw class in racial terms (I have not included full references here, but they are in the book). When I wrote The Meaning of Race, I wanted to challenge conventional ways of thinking about the historical roots of racial ideas, and to demonstrate how much of racial thinking originated not in the context of perceptions of non-Europeans but to a large extent at home out of the relationship between the elite and the masses. And that is what makes this material important in thinking about contemporary discussions of the working class. Today, elite views of the working class are rarely racialized, at least in an overt fashion. Yet, many of the themes, especially about the character of the ‘unrespectable’ working class, remain, though they necessarily have to be expressed in a different language. What is of interest here is to understand what has changed as well as what remains the same in thinking about democracy and the working class.

Back
Top Bottom