Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pokemon Go

Actual end of civilisation.

Edit. Also, this:

I always thought that the end of civilization would happen when everyone has bought more useless crap than would fit in their home. Without access to our "stuff" it would force us to all to take up a hunter/gatherer lifestyle again.

_______________6254988_orig.jpg

If people are going crazy for this in countries like the US and Australia, where there's generally a bit of space to move around, there's going to be carnage when it's released in places like Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Apparently, someone got hit by a car while playing Go.

Imo, the people who get hit by a car while playing Go, are the same people who fall off cliffs while taking selfies.

At least it's getting people out of the house - in fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if the whole game turned out to be a fiendish plot involving parents who wanted to lure Pokemon players out of their basements.

At least it's getting people out of the house - in fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if the whole game turned out to be a fiendish plot involving parents who wanted to lure Pokemon players out of their basements.

Or, retailers wanting people in the malls.

'Pokemon GO' Combined With a Drone Is a Great Example of Human Ingenuity

Pokemon GO [Free] has been pushing people to get out and walk, a lot. However, not everyone likes being forced to participate in any kind of physical exercise, so we've seen hacks such as people finding ways to get their phone moving so the game thinks you are actually walking instead of lying on your couch feet up. Record players have been used and so have ceiling fans, but the guys in the video below took it one step further; instead of trying to find a way to cheat the system, they've found a way to have the phone travel while they sit comfortably. How? Well, by using a drone, of course.

:facepalm:

I'm sure that will be next. If I owned a cafe I'd pay Nintendo lots of money to increase the number of people milling about on the pavement outside from that one homeless guy to 500 latte-starved teens and techies.

I bet they already have retailers knocking on their doors wanting to be used as a "gym."

They could even set up a lucrative side racket in Pokemon protection. They could steer players to someone's house and then demand a payment to remove the nuisance. :D

Playing the game is not appropriate in the museum, which is a memorial to the victims of Nazism," Andrew Hollinger, the museum's communications director, told The Washington Post.

The Post's report on Tuesday also cited concerns about the appearance of a Pokemon named Koffing, which attacks using poison gas, at the museum. A now-deleted image circulating online showed Koffing outside the Helena Rubinstein Auditorium, which features testimonials from Jews who survived gas chambers during the Holocaust.

Museum officials said they're trying to get the museum excluded from the game altogether -- which, fortunately, should be possible. Here's hoping it happens soon.

Holocaust Museum asks visitors to cool it with the Pokemon Go

They've also been spotted at Auschwitz and the 9/11 Museum. Could be only a matter of time until Pokemon start popping up in places like the Kaaba.

Apart from the unfortunate places being tagged as gyms and so on, I think this is a fucking great idea.

I'm seeing some people saying they have depression and struggle to find a reason to leave the house who are walking miles looking for pokemon and feeling exhilarated. I mean seriously, I'm also seeing loads of people disparaging the game and its players but frankly fuck them so very hard because it's nice to just be happy people have something they enjoy, especially when it's breaking the mould of having them sat inside.

This is like a flashback to "Watching Pokemon gives kids epileptic fits" hype:

US Holocaust museum asks Pokemon Go players to stop
Pokémon Go Players Anger 9/11 Memorial Visitors: 'It's a Hallowed Place'
Police fear the dark side of Pokemon Go

Why Playing Pokémon Go Might Be Deadly For Black Men
Pokemon Go craze is causing real-life injuries and danger

Top marks to the Daily fucking Mail, lol:

Is this the world's most dangerous game? Fears new Pokemon Go app craze could be used by pedophiles to lure unsuspecting young players

An 'augmented reality' app based around the usual premise of a Pokemon game - gotta catch 'em all.

So, you download it to your phone (for free).

It uses your gps tracking data. You head outside, and wander around. As you do so, it tracks where you are and lets you know if there are any pokemon listed as being nearby. You follow the map on your phone to find them. When you find them, it switches to camera mode, so you see the real world through your camera on your phone, with the pokemon in question superimposed into the scene - that's the augmented reality bit. Then you try to catch it.

The aim is to collect as many pokemon as possible, requiring you to travel far and wide to get them. You can train them, increase their levels, eventually taking them to pokemon gyms (which are stationed in real-world public places like parks and libraries and lol police stations) to train them even more. You can pit your pokemon in battle against other people's pokemon.

There are 3 teams, you join one of them. There's something to do with teams fighting to control certain real-life areas, but I don't understand that part.

Back
Top Bottom