Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

I actually made two total killer pizzas last night, but forgot to take pics. They were awesome though. One with tuna, peppers & olives, the other replacing the tuna with salami...

tumblr_m6y993noSb1qzlr04o1_1280.jpg

Nope but I thought people on here would like them.

I don't "do" pizza as a general rule.

Pizza night here. Didn't have my camera handy.

We had one with tuna steak, capers, red chilli, black olives, parsley, mozzarella and leerdammer, and one with yellow pepper, onion, mushroom, pesto, egg, mozzarella and cheddar.

Tuna steak works really well. The first one is close to perfection for me as far as toppings go.

the more i practice the better the bases are turning out.

today's effort was topped with mussels, onion, capsicum, tomato sauce and cheese.

also made sure the oven was hot as hell for a nice crispy base.

On a quiet, unremarkable Philadelphia street, Pizza Power by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is playing out over the sidewalk. Here, outside a 19th-century former tenement building, people sit on cherry-red benches scooping strands of escaping cheese onto huge American-sized slices of pizza. This is Pizza Brain, which, as well as selling them, is also the world's first museum dedicated to pizza, which opened earlier this month.

2012-08-29-pizza2.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/sep/26/philadephia-pizza-power-museum-us

Pizza night here. Didn't have my camera handy.

We had one with tuna steak, capers, red chilli, black olives, parsley, mozzarella and leerdammer, and one with yellow pepper, onion, mushroom, pesto, egg, mozzarella and cheddar.

Tuna steak works really well. The first one is close to perfection for me as far as toppings go.

leerdammer seems an odd choice - otherwise, lush

Been perfecting my Neopolitin pizza for a while now, use a cold ferment (3-4 days in fridge) sourdough base, spread out in a v hot frying pan, topped and then put under the grill. Its the closest you can get to a proper wood oven in a kitchen, outside gets crisp and a bit burnt while the inside is doughy.

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

pizza3.jpg

Much nicer than any i have had even in restaurants/street food stalls although i have not been to Franca Manca

Been perfecting my Neopolitin pizza for a while now, use a cold ferment (3-4 days in fridge) sourdough base, spread out in a v hot frying pan, topped and then put under the grill.

Could you post the recipe/method for the base? That pizza looks fantastic and I want to try it.

Been perfecting my Neopolitin pizza for a while now, use a cold ferment (3-4 days in fridge) sourdough base, spread out in a v hot frying pan, topped and then put under the grill. Its the closest you can get to a proper wood oven in a kitchen, outside gets crisp and a bit burnt while the inside is doughy.

Excellent post and dedication to the cause there DB :cool:

Will do a full post with method and recipe when i get home, to do it properly you need a sourdough starter, i never managed to make one out of flour, they kept dying so I brought a starter from here, has lived in my fridge since march and works great after a couple refreshes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120g-Wild...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item19d5bb4d95

The pizza do really taste great, my sister went to the best places in Naples and said my pizza was pretty near. Everyone tends to like the margharita the best, when you have a really good tasting base you don't really need toppings, this mushroom and Turkish sausage one was nice though

pizza4.jpg

Right, it took a lot of reading and work to get this far but it was worth it, best resources are Kenji Lopez-Alt from serious eats (guy is a MIT graduate, really good articles that also explain the science, prob my fav on the net), Jeff Varsanos site and pizzamaking.com forums.

Dough First

I'm using pretty much Jeff Varsanos recipe at the moment, but much less salt (like 2/3 max, he uses a crazy amount) and sometimes some sugar (not decided if its better yet). Its is a pretty wet dough and hard to handle but it this means it will give a good spring and structure.

Strong bread flour 850g
Water 550g
Sourdough yeast culture 75g
Salt 18g
Sugar 10g (optional)

His instructions for hand kneading are pretty good as well, thanks Jeff. I use a washing up bowl to mix everything and dont add the salt until the 2nd load of flour, (it can kill your yeast)

I started in bowl with 75% of the Flour (KA Bread), the salt, water, poolish and a pinch of IDY. I did a 12 minute autolyse, 6 minute hand mix with a spoon, adding flour along the way and 15 minute post mix rest. Then I hand kneaded for 1 minute. Did another 5 minute rest (It didn't feel smooth, so I wanted to rest it again), then another 30 second hand knead, then shape. I'm guessing it was a 65-66% hydration, same as the dough photos above. I know that is very high for a hand kneaded dough and it takes some practice. But it didn't stick to my hands at all because I've gotten used to how to handle high hydration dough. The trick is to keep the outside dry with just the thinnest coating of flour. Actually, I only keep the side near my hands coated, the other side is wet. Then I pull the dough expanding the dry side and close it in towards the wet side. This is repeated over and over. As the dry side stretches, it gets a little wetter, then your just dip in in flour again and continue

I then wrap the bowl in clinger and put it in the fridge for 3-4 days. We are using a cold ferment that gives a-lot of time for flavour to develop, gives good structure and the yeast does most of the kneading for us!

I then look how much the dough has risen and decide how long to take it out of the fridge before cooking (experience will help here), its usually about 3hr somewhere warm in the bowl, i then ball the dough on the kitchen counter and cover with a tea towel for around an hour, the dough should be well proved and fairly easy to handle (it is still pretty wet, first few times my pizzas were not that round at all!).

Does anyone have a sourdough? If you are near Stamford Hill I could maybe sort you out some of mine. A sachet of instant dried could be substituted

pizza1.jpg

pizza2.jpg

pizza3.jpg

Much nicer than any i have had even in restaurants/street food stalls although i have not been to Franca Manca

damn, that looks good!

you have any interest in a US green card (meaning, I will marry you for pizza)?

Back
Top Bottom