Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

Only news is a daily battle with the doctors that no, we don't want to be doing those things against our wishes thanks very much :mad: but this isn't the thread for that!

I can hear GarageNation from my room. I want to be there...

go to the up the duff thread or the sofa to rant about that. I had the same battle. Twice. :rolleyes:

Keeping everything crossed for you.

A bit late for your dinner but I can thoroughly recommend Peripericon for pizza delivery. More American style than authentic like Brazzi but much better quality than the likes of Dominoes.

Theres another new cafe opening soon - Nightingales who I believe have a cafe already in Balham. Its going to be in the old Greggs.

We went to Trio Pizzeria last night - lovely atmosphere, the pizzas were very good and at usual pizza prices. The live music was great - it was Ross Anderson on a very mellow jazz guitar, which was a nice surprise as I have encountered Ross before as he did the set up and various jobs on my son's guitars. (he is very skilled and very cheap, anyone who needs guitar repair / maintenance doing) http://triopizzeriauk.wix.com/triopizzeria#!live-music/c5ob http://www.rossandersonmusic.com/gtr-repairs

Not new stuff, but Streatham related - I went to the BID Streatham drinks last night. Roof top of the PRS building - what amazing views!

Not so much new stuff, as stuff closing: the large Morrisons is confirmed to close.

The pro-gentrification mob on twitter are tweeting to Waitrose asking for it to move in, disregarding the fact that two supermarkets have closed having failed to cover operating costs on this site in the past ten years.

So no doubt it will sit empty for ages.

Not so much new stuff, as stuff closing: the large Morrisons is confirmed to close.

The pro-gentrification mob on twitter are tweeting to Waitrose asking for it to move in, disregarding the fact that two supermarkets have closed having failed to cover operating costs on this site in the past ten years.

So no doubt it will sit empty for ages.

This hasn't been officially confirmed as closing - just that its at risk and they're in talks at the moment. Any chance they could actually be referring to the smaller one on the High Road?

I know its likely it will close, but I really don't want it to. I like shopping there.

It's definitely the larger one.
Agreed that it's not yet 100% confirmed but once a major retailer go public with an announcement like this, it's rare that they go back on the decision.

I too like shopping there, in part cause I'm sticking two fingers up to Tesco, but also cause it's a lot nicer in terms of food, staff and atmos.

I know, I think I'm just in denial a bit as I really really don't want it to close. I find it much better than Tescos.

Also my dad every now and then sends me the saver tokens to buy myself a bit of shopping so I'll miss out on that!

I heard about Morrisons closing, I don't want it to close either, sometimes the Tescos is just too big to face doing a proper shop in.
Whatever happens I'm sure like everyone I just don't want it to sit empty for years. If another supermarket isn't a good idea what about a clothes store. If a TX Maxx opened there I can see it doing well.

has anybody been to the white lion in streatham? My new favourite pub! such cute kitties there.

11258031_10101265789949201_6196387277145279524_n.jpg

The cats at the white lion have gone :( some sick customer burnt them with cigarettes so the owner's taken them away. Poor cats :( :mad:

I heard about Morrisons closing, I don't want it to close either, sometimes the Tescos is just too big to face doing a proper shop in.
Whatever happens I'm sure like everyone I just don't want it to sit empty for years. If another supermarket isn't a good idea what about a clothes store. If a TX Maxx opened there I can see it doing well.

Yeah I think a TK Maxx would work well there and would get my vote. Streatham already has enough supermarkets IMO, quite a choice too (Lidl, Iceland, Tesco & Sainsburys) so I don't think another is necessarily needed. Assuming Morrisons does close...It's a big space to fill but in a great location so I think once it is filled it will be a semi-established store/retailer.

It became a Morrisons pretty much as soon as Safeway closed, then it closed for a couple of years and reopened as another Morrisons.

Wasn't the 'first Morrison's' just when Safeway closed as the brand was bought, so it was relabelled as Morrison? I don't remember it being a close then open new situation. I could be wrong mind...

I'd prefer Railtrack to buy the Morrisons site, knock down Morrisons and use the newly created space to widen the northbound platform at Streatham station. Follow that by moving the waiting room/toilet/anything else that takes up space across from the southbound platform, thus creating space to widen parts of the southbound platform too. Redesign the ticket office area, increase the numbers of barriers and build new stairwells as well.

On second thoughts, make the current entrance/exit for southbound platform passengers only and build a new entrance/exit on the Station Approach road.

Bloody hell, I'm a genius.

Morrison confirmed as closing end Nov by employee today.
Lidl is now closed for refurb until 26 Nov. Staff from both stores offered employment at other branches.

Hearsay from checkout staff says Morrison site had been taken over by Aldi, to open in the new year....

Hearsay from checkout staff says Morrison site had been taken over by Aldi, to open in the new year....

Ah, not a bad addition for a supermarket...though I would prefer a clothes shop. All of the middle class set who are desperate to "Balhamise" Streatham have been campaigning for Waitrose for god knows how long, they are going to be disappointed. :D

Back
Top Bottom