Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hurricane Irene

May I refer you to your previous post ;)
Yes, but naming storms like we do now, with a consistent name applied to each storm is a recent thing, calling a storm 'she' isn't. I don't see how you could say one way or another without some serious research, I'd suspect you would find people referring to a male-named storm as both 'he' and 'she' depending on a lot of factors I can't be arsed to think about right now.

Yes, but naming storms like we do now, with a consistent name applied to each storm is a recent thing, calling a storm 'she' isn't. I don't see how you could say one way or another without some serious research, I'd suspect you would find people referring to a male-named storm as both 'he' and 'she' depending on a lot of factors I can't be arsed to think about right now.

well I think as it's you that's putting up the Wiki links, it's you that should put an end to this matter and tell us conclusively whether storms are hes or shes

I'll be waiting ;)

No sloping off pretending you've gone to bed now

In 1953, the National Weather Service picked up on the habit of Naval meteorologists of naming the storms after women. Ships were always referred to as female, and were often given women's names. The storms' temperament certainly seemed female enough, shifting directions at a whim on a moment's notice. In 1979, male names were inserted to alternate with the female names,to the delight of women's-libbers everywhere.

hm, doesn't tell us if male named storms are referred to as he

As for hurricanes being named after females and their temperament, would it not be more accurate to refer to hurricanes as he considering how destructive they can be... just like men? :hmm:

If anyone is interested, the winds are unlikely to be especially damaging but the storm surges are likely to be very strong
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1903

At least it's a category 1. It's the worst place to hit though. On the east coast you don't want the right/north side of the eye to directly hit the beach. I hate to see it damage our islands. The barrier islands are naturally able to withstand a hurricane but when people build houses on the sound side of the island it's unable to repair itself and the island erodes away. Houses built on the beachfront cause erosion too because the sand dunes are bulldozed to make room for houses. The dunes and the wetlands are what protect them.

As long as people are smart a hurricane isn't too dangerous. The main thing it to anticipate the flooding in the following days. I was in Floyd when it hit. It was a good lesson in how to prepare for when the power goes out for 3 solid weeks. The power station of the city I was in was built right next to a river. How many city councils have ever been able to say their main power station is completely under water? :facepalm:

Nah nothing but everything I've heard and read say that Irene weakened for staying on land. NY didn't get it bad.

I'd say that the indications pointed to just that all along, and that the hyperbolic news reporting, resulting in panic buying etc, was irresponsible to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom