Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Green Party talking coalition with yellow Tories ('Lib Dems')

Should the Green Party be verbally attacked?

• Yes, the Green Party did a bad thing.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No, the Greens are OK.

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
"a quick 'fuck off, do you think we're idiots?' would have sufficed."

Well, not really. Because then we would have been doing exactly what people have just been criticising us for - not consulting local members on an offer made to us.
fine, in that case you go in and make a bunch of demands, put down a genuinely 'radical' green platform and accept nothing less. Dont allow those cunts to play the game, the point is to expose them.

todays update, 'improved' offer from the libs which the greens will have to discuss again.
I wonder whether fewer and fewer GP members will turn up to the counsultation meetings, and whether this is what the LDs are hoping to happen - consensus by exhaustion.

Well, as I'd hope you'd know by now, I agree with you. :)

Unfortunately I lost both my elections, so I am not in a position to do anything as an elected representative. Next time! :)

Matt

Well, as I'd hope you'd know by now, I agree with you. :)

Unfortunately I lost both my elections, so I am not in a position to do anything as an elected representative. Next time! :)

Matt

Wre you standing in the council as well? How close did you come?

I wonder whether fewer and fewer GP members will turn up to the counsultation meetings, and whether this is what the LDs are hoping to happen - consensus by exhaustion.

possibly, tho I think they'd have to put a bloody good offer on the table to convince anyone. The ones who will keep turning up will be those who hate the idea most I'd reckon

Random,

Yes, I was standing in both. Unfortunately we got swamped across Hackney -despite getting more votes than any Green Party local candidates in the borough, ever, we were well off getting elected. I was about 800 votes down from Labour, out of 5600 cast, alas.

Matt

Random,

Yes, I was standing in both. Unfortunately we got swamped across Hackney -despite getting more votes than any Green Party local candidates in the borough, ever, we were well off getting elected. I was about 800 votes down from Labour, out of 5600 cast, alas.

Matt

And fourth in the Westminster election? That was really baffling.

I mean, obviously I'm glad Labour won, but was a bit disappointed to see you finishing behind the Tories in Hackney!

We got wiped out across London, really.

I wasn't surprised to come fourth to the Tories - beating them was always a "stretch goal" in our strategy this time. They have a solid base vote of 4,000+. I *was* surprised to lose votes, despite the squeeze election. Basically, about 500 of 'my' voters went to the LDs cos they thought they could beat Abbott, about 300 went to Labour for the same reason, and 6,000 voters who haven't cast a ballot since 1997 turned up to vote Labour cos they hate the Tories so much. We didn't get a look in.

I suspect it will be different next time, with the LD vote collapsing utterly.

Matt

Hmmm. Didn't see much of them round my way out campaigning.

Was expecting you to run us closer in SNC tbh. Looks like you'd put some effort into Smalley Road Estate but not enough into Somerford Grove. But you probably know that already.

and 6,000 voters who haven't cast a ballot since 1997 turned up to vote Labour cos they hate the Tories so much.

this seemed to have happened in most of the heartlands - massive labour votes in glasgow, lanarkshire, the big labour cities etc.

i put it down to david cameron's face and accent. i've been amazed by the reaction to the last week from (edinburgh) friends who don't follow politics, each one of them spitting blood at the election of the tories, and half of them talking about punching cameron in the face (pub talk but still).

this from folk who weren't adults when the tories were last in power.

@ al the Labour supporters here: are Labour going to break all of their local coalitions with the lib dems? or for that matter, the coalitions with the tories they have on some councils in Scotland?

The Green Party constitution demands a meeting of all local members whenever a coalition or similar arrangement is offered to local councillors. The Lib Dems offered a coalition to the Sheffield councillors, Sheffield Green Party met yesterday, and overwhelmingly rejected the idea.

Not sure what people are saying here - we should have punched them in the face as soon as they opened their mouths, shouting "YELLOW TORIES" over and over again?

While I agree with Larry that systems of accountability within the Green Party are still too weak (actually, this is largely a matter of internal culture rather than structure - it is possible to hold anyone to account if the will is there), in this case I don't see anything wrong with what happened at all.

Matt

Fair enough, that is the right response for a party like the Greens.

They should however as a rule avoid coalitions with anyone unless they look like they can be the dominant force in a coalition on which they can impose a good chunk of their agenda.

@ al the Labour supporters here: are Labour going to break all of their local coalitions with the lib dems? or for that matter, the coalitions with the tories they have on some councils in Scotland?

of course they should.

The point on this thread is that the Greens claim to be different to the 'old parties.' But they're not particularly

of course they should.

The point on this thread is that the Greens claim to be different to the 'old parties.' But they're not particularly

I'll believe that when I see it

Anyway, I thought it had been established that the sheffield greens have discussed the proposal as per the party's rules and rejected it

I'll believe that when I see it

Anyway, I thought it had been established that the sheffield greens have discussed the proposal as per the party's rules and rejected it

The greens have already allied with the tories and lib dems in leeds that time

Me too, dont mistake me for a bloody labour supporter just cos I'm unimpressed by the greens.

And whilst they have rejected this proposal so far, they did say they thought there should be one big all-party love in.

The greens have already allied with the tories and lib dems in leeds that time

yes, seven years ago and it went so spectacularly well for us, and for the good people of the City of Leeds that we're positively chomping at the bit to do it everywhere else:rolleyes:

The Green Party constitution demands a meeting of all local members whenever a coalition or similar arrangement is offered to local councillors. The Lib Dems offered a coalition to the Sheffield councillors, Sheffield Green Party met yesterday, and overwhelmingly rejected the idea.

Not sure what people are saying here - we should have punched them in the face as soon as they opened their mouths, shouting "YELLOW TORIES" over and over again?

While I agree with Larry that systems of accountability within the Green Party are still too weak (actually, this is largely a matter of internal culture rather than structure - it is possible to hold anyone to account if the will is there), in this case I don't see anything wrong with what happened at all.

Matt

1. Funny how refusing to talk to someone becomes punching?

2. Where does internal culture come from, if not structure?
Would you not concede that the Green Party (aside from its pro-ALMO politics, selling off state owned airport etc.) has major problems in its internal structure - namely the fact that so many of the councillors are 100% "right on" and leftist - yet have little control over what councillors or MEPs do in the party name.

1. I was indulging in hyperbole - I'm sure you get my general point. Hearing what people have to say, and then telling the membership about it and having a vote, is exactly the correct thing to do.

2. The structure is NOT the problem in my view. The passivity of membership because of a culture of 'niceness' and unwillingness to offend is the problem. It is entirely possible to hold local parties to account regionally and nationally. We don't do it enough because people don't want to have fights, and because we haven't had an honest enough conversation as a national party about our ideology and strategies for social change. That is much more of a problem than structure, which (while not perfect) is much MUCH more accountable than any other political party in the UK.

Matt

P.S. The Green Party does not have pro-ALMO politics. It *does* have two or three incidences I know of over the last decade in which councillors have felt pressured into voting for ALMOs as the "least worst" funding option on offer given the current funding framework. That's not a position I agree with, but it is simply not true to say that we are in favour of ALMOs as a party - we aren't, and the vast majority of Green councillors have voted and campaigned against them. If we were in favour of ALMOs as a party, they wouldn't have named me housing spokesperson, for a start.

P.P.S. I probably won't post again on this thread, for the same reason that I've mostly given up on U75 - it'll just be more heat than light and end up with people swearing at each other, which I can't really be bothered with these days. Which makes me sad, but oh well. I wish that people could recognise that it is possible for a party to be imperfect (which the Green Party is) without being *the enemy* (which the Green Party isn't).

Back
Top Bottom