Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Detail your latest clothes and slap related purchases here #2

All-Saints-Unicorn-Dress.jpg

This All Saints dress arrived from ebay :) It's a lot like another of theirs that I also won on ebay probably over a year ago and which I wear all the time. I think I may even like this one a bit more, it has unicorns and zebras on it!!

Just spent £33.99 on La Redoute..got a long chunky black cardi, a printed blouse and another jumper plus a free fleece coat! It's worth being on their mailing list well if you like their stuff as they send out money off codes. My stuff were on sale with £15 off if I spent over £30

Question- Alice bands? I have a blunt fringe that is growing out, I can't decide whether to cut it back in- cost of maintenance, needs washing everyday and I have a newborn; or grow it out, or into a softer fringe style. If I am growing it out, I need to keep it out of my face. Thus... Alice bands? Not fat velvet ones, obv... But skinny elastic ones. Are they still too sloaney for words?

Question- Alice bands? I have a blunt fringe that is growing out, I can't decide whether to cut it back in- cost of maintenance, needs washing everyday and I have a newborn; or grow it out, or into a softer fringe style. If I am growing it out, I need to keep it out of my face. Thus... Alice bands? Not fat velvet ones, obv... But skinny elastic ones. Are they still too sloaney for words?
They don't suit me, but ymmv.

They only suit me behind the fringe, iyswim. I have a very high forehead though. My friend looks really good in them, can you get to an Accessorize and try on?

I must take a picture of me in my Sloany-est top with the collar up for you Manter. Will dig out pearls and an alice band :D

They only suit me behind the fringe, iyswim. I have a very high forehead though. My friend looks really good in them, can you get to an Accessorize and try on?

I must take a picture of me in my Sloany-est top with the collar up for you Manter. Will dig out pearls and an alice band :D
I have an enormous, Klingon forehead sadly.... I may have to try some on and see....

wear your fur gilet too :)

I have an enormous, Klingon forehead sadly.... I may have to try some on and see....

wear your fur gilet too :)
Fwiw, I survived having a newborn and a fringe. I looked shit a lot, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't too bad. Get some batiste spray so you don't have to wash it every day! You'll be able to wear a hat soon :)

I don't have a fur gilet :hmm::(

Fwiw, I survived having a newborn and a fringe. I looked shit a lot, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't too bad. Get some batiste spray so you don't have to wash it every day! You'll be able to wear a hat soon :)

I don't have a fur gilet :hmm::(
good idea. Batiste spray, not hat. The only hats I suit are big floppy brimmed sunhats, which'd look proper odd in the snow.

Er. Sorry. I confused you and Shirl. Though actually I was wrong about that too, as it wasn't her who started the thread. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I think Alice bands are dead wrong. I prefer headscarves but not sure if that's your look.

i have a few metal thingies for holding back your hair (the word has temporarily escaped me) from Claire's accessories i think. i don't use them much but they are handy. also, i'm a fan of sparkly hair clips for keeping hair out of your face. the more 'designed for a 5 year old' the better.

i have a few metal thingies for holding back your hair (the word has temporarily escaped me) from Claire's accessories i think. i don't use them much but they are handy. also, i'm a fan of sparkly hair clips for keeping hair out of your face. the more 'designed for a 5 year old' the better.

i've just realised that was a lot vaguer than i intended. i meant metal thingies in the shape of an alice band. head bands (i googled it!).

I don't really do pretty- I don't do well with flowers or crystals :(
DIY route assuming that you can sew (only a few stitches at each joining point). Approx 5" of elastic, about fingernail width (a compromise between wider gripping better and narrower being easier to hide under your hair). Join to 5-6" (maybe more) of grosgrain ribbon (this is the one with ribs across the width). The back bit which goes under your hair is the elastic, the bit which holds your hair down is the ribbony bit. Less slippery-backed ribbon or braid words best. These have the advantage of being as plan or fancy as you like, washable, and so cheap that you can afford to ruin or lose them. Unlike metal or plastic hairbands, they don't dig in, so no headaches.
This shows one similar:
http://www.craftedblog.com/2012/01/how-to-ribbon-headband.html

Last edited:
Just ordered my two pairs of winter combats - plus next year's two pairs of shorts.

Annoying that they've changed the pocket configuration on the combats - fingers crossed the backs of the pockets don't annoy me when I'm pedalling.

Also annoying that it's just the crotches that wear thin - probably because I cycle in them - so effectively that's only about 6 months' use...

£68.37 per year = £1.31 per week.
Tee shirts £24 per year approx = 46p per week.
This weekend it will be off to M&S for a year or two's worth of socks ...

Last edited:

I wear my Oakleys as an alice band a lot of the time tbh, sunglasses are not just for summer :)

Back
Top Bottom