Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

the trickiest bit ime is the first time you open out the petals, you have to kind of ping at the open edges rather than pull them so much. (we've already had one load of screaming habdabs over opening them up but i deserved that for giving it to a 6yo :D)

This is no where near as accomplished as anything else I've seen on this thread, but I present to you my new cardboard lamp.

Now that I know I can do it I'm going to get the materials sorted and re-do it with proper glue and stuff so that it's a little smarter.

lamp.jpg lamp 2.jpg

well the scarf went down a treat! This week I have made a cover for my wicker basket and a head scarf. It's more of a cheaty one that has a pocket for your head and 'legs' you tie round

It's a 20cmx20cm base with a hole cut into it to rest on the lamp stand, and then the squares are just 20cmx4cm strips taped together from the inside and then stacked at 45 degree angles. Does that make sense? I'm rubbish at explaining things :oops:

I quite like how the corrugated bits create lines, I didn't plan that :)

I designed these :)
9078859755_eb03892407.jpg

I'm moving flat and won't have internet access til mid-July :eek::eek:, so loads of time to work on crafts. I've got a bunch of unfinished Arduino electronic projects on the go that I can have a crack at.

My housemate has gifted me with a beautiful strapless black gown, made of a really lovely material, to experiment with. I'm going to sew in my LilyPad arduino up to it and work out something cool and embroidered. It's a little programmable microcontroller that you can SEW to fabrics and components with a variety of inputs and outputs...I'm very excited by this.

The really high end of Arduino-wear looks like this (it's a dress that reacts to CO2 by changing LED colours and patterns :cool:):
arduinodress.jpg

Mine will look nothing like this :D. I haven't done embroidery since I was about 13.

I don't know if anyone else is interested in wearable tech, but I've been loving Becky Stern's tutorials here - environment-sensing colour changing chameleon scarves, solar charging handbags...she covers everything from the programming end to learning to sew with conductive thread.

Edit:

This is what the LilyPad looks like -- I think it's such a beautiful design:

LilyPad_5.jpg

paintin.jpg
i like how this ended up..

properly finished it the other week, by sticking some quidland fairy lights behind the canvas, so you don't have to hold it up to a window to get the light coming through the starholes :)

my downstairs neighbour liked it, and is buying me some *big* canvas as payment:cool:

i'm also going to make another version of this for me, i think *egomonster*

I'm moving flat and won't have internet access til mid-July :eek::eek:, so loads of time to work on crafts. I've got a bunch of unfinished Arduino electronic projects on the go that I can have a crack at.

can't wait to see what you come up with :) mr b and the kids mess around with arduinos but i've not been tempted :hmm: yet :D

Am making a dress, contemplating putting contrast piping round the neckline and armholes and wondering whether I should pipe the waistline also :confused:

Making a quite basic scarf with some nice slightly scratchy wool I have, doubled up. I think I'll keep this for me next winter.

20130712_234429_zps925fb84e.jpg

Also started making a list of things I'm going to make for christmas so things are cheap(er), fun to make and more personal. So far, chilli oil, lemon curd, photos/ pictures, soap, scarves and mix cds.

Had a quick go at knitting the cat this morning. I Furminated him, and there was so much fluff on the floor, it seemed a shame to waste it. :D

Didn't have enough to spin properly on my drop spindle, so just twisted it a bit by hand. It's a very long, soft fibre, and worked quite well. Nice to knit with. I might collect a load over time, and have a proper go. :hmm:

spun stansml.jpgknitted stansml.jpg

Finished my beach hut dress yesterday and wore it. It's perfect for this weather. It's the first time I've piped anything since a cushion I made at school; it made the construction a challenge and I had to do a lot of hand sewing, but quite enjoyed it actually.

The top half is Butterick 5032, but with a plain circle skirt instead of the straight skirt. It was a size too small for me really, and I had to fiddle to get it to fit. The pockets I just kind of made up at the end, and then I put the bow on to break it up a bit. So I was winging it most of the time, and am dead pleased it all worked.

The huts etc are actually red, not pink as in the image I linked earlier.

beach huts smaller.jpg

...I've got this fabric and need to consider what kind of dress to turn it into. I'm fighting the urge to make another shirtdress :rolleyes: the pattern is not perhaps as big as it looks - each beach section is about 6" long.

MAKO1827%20(2)-400x400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom