Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carpetright, 2 Tulse Hill, to become a Sainsburys.

ANOTHER supermarket? :facepalm: I'm fuming at Waitrose for letting this happen.

Having said that, the site is pretty big, so if the shop includes a deli, bakery, etc rather than just another express-type store then it would be pretty handy given that I only live 5 minutes up the road.

That used to be the site of the Briton Roller Rink. Sigh.

brixton-roller-rink-london-3.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixton-roller-skating-rink-memories-from-the-late-1950s/

Can I use that as the official name for their amazingly crappy branch on Tulse Hill?

It's all crap. I sometimes wonder how they became the biggest supermarket in the country as their produce is shit. Then I remember why Windows was the biggest OS. All about capital and marketing.

It's all crap. I sometimes wonder how they became the biggest supermarket in the country as their produce is shit. Then I remember why Windows was the biggest OS. All about capital and marketing.
This particular branch is even worse in terms of what is stocked ie. next to no daily papers.

This particular branch is even worse in terms of what is stocked ie. next to no daily papers.

I wouldn't know. Don't think I've been in a Tescrap for nearly ten years except when they had some bourbon promotion on a couple of years ago and I went in and experienced the ambience of the one on Acre Lane.

Then I remember why Windows was the biggest OS. All about capital and marketing.
Err, and the fact it works just fine for hundreds of millions of people and businesses, and the hardware isn't priced at 'premium' rip off rates that a lot of people can't afford. But let's not get into that, eh? PS It's still the biggest OS by miles and miles.

Back to the supermarkets, I'm still waiting for the permanently unemployed space under the shonky 'The Viaduct' flats on Coldharbour Lane to be supermarketified. It surely can't be long now, what with all those busy, well-heeled people set to move into Brixton Square next door.

I wouldn't know. Don't think I've been in a Tescrap for nearly ten years except when they had some bourbon promotion on a couple of years ago and I went in and experienced the ambience of the one on Acre Lane.
The only time I go there is for some of their veggie products that I can't get elsewhere, but that's only about twice a year. Iceland is the supermarket I use the most in Brixton.

this one is quite special- it is always a mess, half the stock is missing, some of it is really odd, there are usually empty boxes piled in the aisles, they let the frozen food melt then refreeze, so it is often a 'lump' of boxes....and the staff are either stoned or anaesthetised.

Arrrg! Not another one. Seriously, it's supermarket wars around here - will there be anything else left at this rate???

Although it has to be said at least the Brixton end of Coldharbour Lane lost its one supermarket back in the 1990s.

Back
Top Bottom