Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the other hand, if the dogs are just a ploy to get publicity, I could probably enjoy a cafe with lots of interesting sausages.

All this airbrushing of the dachshunds image to make them look cute rather than tormentors of badgers and other burrowing creatures doesn't cut the mustard surely ?

My understanding* is that the Canterbury is owned by Conway Taverns - the same small family group that also owns the Marquis of Lorne. They owned about 20 pubs in their heyday, all backstreet boozers, which are being slowly sold off as the backstreets become worth something - the Crown and Anchor on Brixton Road being a classic example. Don't know what that means for the Canterbury though as I think that was the most profitable of the bunch.

(*otherwise known as rumours I've picked up from semi-pissed pub chat so please dont treat as fact)

MillwallShoes, just seen a pic of the Effra Social Club, near the Hobgobshite-anannie...looks like that might fit the bill as in big tables and not too loud and crowded.

just been in. an extraordinary place. bizarre. like time travel back to the 70s. good real ale and even wine.

they have live acts for evenings

They are apparently dog-friendly too. The guide dogs were in there today (off-duty, not harnessed up, just in there after a free run in Brockwell Park).

i miss brixton a lot.

and oh i wouldn't want to live in that house in railton road by the bend. i do remember just after they built the thing a lorry crashed in. what a nightmare.

i miss brixton a lot.

and oh i wouldn't want to live in that house in railton road by the bend. i do remember just after they built the thing a lorry crashed in. what a nightmare.

That was the one I was remembering - crashed right into the living room! (Luckily no-one was living there at the time)

Effra Social was rammed before 10, like 20 minutes to get a drink rammed. Love the venue, not sure about the all-white, all-m/c, all-30s crowd. Speaking as a white 30 something m/c dude.

Effra Social was rammed before 10, like 20 minutes to get a drink rammed. Love the venue, not sure about the all-white, all-m/c, all-30s crowd. Speaking as a white 30 something m/c dude.

As per my post before - it's just the same as the much hated Granville Arcade; its Editors early adopter approach re. Federation again - fine now, but give it six months and I think as 'other people' arrive it will be called potentially the death of all things 80s / 90s brixton.

For context I am saying this having just come back from Deptford Greenwich boarders where an old local is now gastroed to hell - perfectly fine for the night I went to, but no longer a place where a range of people could go and find solace in a common denominator where the pub was somewhere to go where you could buy booze (not at the shops) and drink it with people you might have more than a nodding acquaintance with. It was all mushroom coloured walls, doom bar & roast beetroot like every other pub of that type. I guess that comes with a more transient renting community, and demand for property.

That said; I recognise 10 long term brixton people in Editor's photos of the opening night; I'm guessing you were with Ted & Zelda's bloke? and most of the (white & MC) shop & bar keepers I know had been in there since thursday saying good things. If they can balance the pub vs creche vs. late night thing then good for them.

Everywhere in Brixton seemed busy today - Windrush Sq had more square glasses & 'normal' people happily mingling. I felt a bit nostalgic in the car back in Peckham, but saw 4 old drinking haunts with shuttered up windows.

Unfortunately I don't know Ted and Zelda. I did manage to compliment one lady who was bloody dominating the dance floor at the Albert - she was well pleased when I asked if she was a professional dancer (as opposed to a professional).

It was also incredibly busy tonight. Most impressively of all, there were more people walking up Effra Rd than down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom