Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also checked up on the Beehive pub in Stockwell and it seems to be still there. (Was rumours of it being turned into flats). The site of the Brewery Tap has been turned into flats finally.
Yeah still there and still open, but I think it was sold some time ago. I'll see if I can find out from some locals who drink there...

The heavily graffitied disused building on the East side of the Herne Hill => Tulse Hill railway line opposite Brockwell Park near the Peabody estate is being quite carefully demolished.

Some photos from a rainy walk home last night down Brixton Hill:

rainy-brixton-hill-02.jpg

rainy-brixton-hill-06.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/04/photo-feature-a-rainy-night-on-the-streets-of-brixton-hill/

a wooden place?

Yes, very close to the railway line. Its been discussed here before, not the one Crispy has linked to.
They were removing the roof last night when I went past. Can't see why they're taking such time over it when they could have just knocked it down.

Nice pic. It must have looked good back in the day. Just looks pretty awful now. Really dirty. I think the roof is fucked as well, as they appear to be have been attempting some repairs. You never see anyone coming in/out either, apart from on Sundays. Might try to go inside and have a look - thanks for the suggestion boohoo :)

If you are wondering around Clapham Old Town, try and have a look in the old church there (I think it's on Rectory Grove). There are some great sculptures from the earlier church in it.

Ah, they've added a description of the private members club to their website:

There's that word "secure" again. Weird.

I'm not sure I've ever tried an "after dark members only experience." I don't expect I ever will.
Just catching up with all that 'Off the Cuff' stuff - very strange! Private members eh? Who would pay £100 to be able to drink there on Friday and Saturday nights? I reckon the sort of people who can afford £100 for a membership are the sort of people who don't really go out drinking in pubs/bars. Retail licensing trade relies on a lot casual/walk-up trade….people usually decide where they want to go drinking that day/evening and want to just rock up. Imagine trying to get a load of mates out…."oh yeah, and you have to buy a membership for a ton" - it's worse than the dogstar with their photo ID. A perfect way to keep custom away. I imagine they will be be very quiet on Fridays and Saturdays and will dispense with the membership scheme fairly quickly.

/my 2p's worth

Just catching up with all that 'Off the Cuff' stuff - very strange! Private members eh? Who would pay £100 to be able to drink there on Friday and Saturday nights? I reckon the sort of people who can afford £100 for a membership are the sort of people who don't really go out drinking in pubs/bars. Retail licensing trade relies on a lot casual/walk-up trade….people usually decide where they want to go drinking that day/evening and want to just rock up. Imagine trying to get a load of mates out…."oh yeah, and you have to buy a membership for a ton" - it's worse than the dogstar with their photo ID. A perfect way to keep custom away. I imagine they will be be very quiet on Fridays and Saturdays and will dispense with the membership scheme fairly quickly.

/my 2p's worth
Yep. And I hope their exclusive, hoity-toity little members club fails miserably. All their promo language about keeping their moneyed customers 'safe and secure' suggests they have very little respect for the neighbourhood, or much interest in having them around.

Amy Robsart? Known for 'death under mysterious circumstances: broken neck falling downstairs' and being the wife of Elizabeth I's favourite courtier. I wonder why you would end up with a street named after her. Or maybe a different Robsart?

There was a Dudley House on Robsart Street (part of the council esate i grew up on), which seems to be named after her husband Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dudley,_1st_Earl_of_Leicester

Amy Robsart? Known for 'death under mysterious circumstances: broken neck falling downstairs' and being the wife of Elizabeth I's favourite courtier. I wonder why you would end up with a street named after her. Or maybe a different Robsart?

Interestingly, there is a Dudley house nearby - however this is a fairly recent housing block and there is no evidence of the name Dudley in earlier street maps. However, what would be useful is to see how the area was divided up and developed and whether there are themes to the street names.

Interestingly, there is a Dudley house nearby - however this is a fairly recent housing block and there is no evidence of the name Dudley in earlier street maps. However, what would be useful is to see how the area was divided up and developed and whether there are themes to the street names.

Haven't been up Robsart street in a while, the new block must be built on the site of the old one, towards Brixton Road end.

Also the Sidney Street / Robsart Street interface always seems a bit confusing - when you walk along there doesn't seem enough of a junction to stop one street & start the other, even though its clear enough on the map.

Did it used to be either Sidney Street or Robsart Street all the way along or was there something diving them?

I was enjoying a scoop early doors outside the Crown and Anchor the other evening and couldnt help
overhearing two well spoken and expensively dressed young fellows who were discussing the area
one was particularly happy about the new blocks going up along Robsart Street and enthusing about
how it would have a nice "villagey" vibe once improvements are completed..........

Last edited:
Also the Sidney Street / Robsart Street interface always seems a bit confusing - when you walk along there doesn't seem enough of a junction to stop one street & start the other, even though its clear enough on the map.

Did it used to be either Sidney Street or Robsart Street all the way along or was there something diving them?

I always regarded Robsart Street as going all the way to Stockwell Road but it ends at Stockwell Park Road.

My older sister "A" was doing a bit of reminiscing recently she lives in Hornchurch now, and she was shocked when she Googled Denchworth House, the block we grew up in and saw a flat for sale at £400,000.

I think they've always both been there. Certainly looks like that on the 1913 map. I would reckon that Sidney road is older? Can't find any connection with the street names.

It is a bit like Parliament Street & Whitehall. Just seem to flow into one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom