Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brady's, Brixton (Railway Hotel): history, chat and plans

Crispy.... from what I can tell, ABC seem as like a bunch of con artists, who I believe were in it only to get free public money for themselves and their mates.

I saw their plans and they were plain rubbish, incoherent and made a very poor use of the space.

Any more info?

Wasn't there a guy from some private members club uptown involved in this?

:hmm:

Here are some quotes from their website...

Its aim is to bring together community groups and professional bodies and initiate community-led regeneration projects...
...The Railway Hotel Regeneration Project is a community-led initiative...

I have never heard of anyone who has been consulted by them from the comunity.

http://www.abcbrixton.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=96

This is the web - link that will take you to their "Railway Hotel" project (AKA Braidy's)

The last news up-date on the website is for 25th November last year...

I don't understand how they got funding for all the blue sky ideas listed without a definite ability to use the site.

http://www.abcbrixton.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=92

A Link to their news page

http://www.railwayhotel.org/ --- photos of the interior

direct link to their contact page ===> http://www.abcbrixton.org/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=43

Interestingly there a no names of anyone that runs ABC Brixton that I can find on their website... even on the contact page...
That to me , always smells...

My main problem is that the 2007 proposal shows them cutting up the space into too many different small sized and therefore useless spaces. The concept offered appears to be un-cohesive and appears as somewhere which would end up like many public spaces we all have probably experienced... pokey, tacky and not the greatest pleasure to visit. With too many different things poked together into various random spaces that give a sense of randomness that gives you the vague sad feeling that such a place needs to be changed one day, when they could have got it right in the first place.

One further comment...

I just noticed that all of their diagrams in the 2007 proposal document appear proportionally incorrect. Which means they are engaging in a project all about use of space, with no ability whatsoever to conceptualize the very space the intend to use. This is a severe fault. If it is true they have lost the project, it is no surprise. What a shame.
:(

p.s. Under the Governance section of the 2007 proposal, they appoint themselves as in charge, and then from that position appoint themselves as development agent, thereby putting themselves in the position of choosing all building contractors and consultants... and somehow... the "not-for profit" operator would have to hand their profits (i thought they were not for profit) to ABC who also would be by that point the Charitable trust that own the freehold. (but maybe I am misreading this document).

Place is still standing empty :(

bradys-clock-tower-brixton-5.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixton...clock-tower-atlantic-road-brixton-london-sw9/

Posted on Brixton chitter chatter as well but, we've had 2 planning apps through the door this evening re Bradys. I haven't had a chance yet to look at the planning docs on Lambeth's website, but in short they are:

1. Ref 11/04500/FUL
Conversion of the existing building into a ground floor and basement commercial unit and seven self contained flats on the upper floors, creation of waster and cycle storage, replacement and amendments to fenestration, alteration to the external elecational treatment and new entrances.

2. Ref 12/00714/ADV
Display of one externally illuminated flat aluminium letters to the cafe front elevation and one externally illuminated built up acrylic letters to shop front.

Now these applications are in two separate names. We only opened the first one initially as we assumed it was just two copies of the same one, and immediately sighed and said it's going to be Tescos. But reading the second one it seems like a cafe or bar maybe? We'll look into it more but worth urbs with an interest looking it up. I have to say I'm surprised re the residential cos of the closeness to the railway. We're 50m further away from it and if a heavy goods train goes over our flat shakes, so I dread to imagine what it'll be like that close :eek:

Deadline for application 1 is 17 May and for 2 is 18 May.

I've been upstairs in Bradys when a train has gone by and the place rattles like fuck - as in plates falling off shelves vibrations.

I've been upstairs in Bradys when a train has gone by and the place rattles like fuck - as in plates falling off shelves vibrations.

I always assumed for that reason if it became a 'mixed use' place it would be commercial downstairs, and office space upstairs. It seems like absolute madness for it to be residential though. When goods trains go past it genuinely feels like a minor earthquake in our place (and I've experienced a proper earthquake so know what it feels like). Fortunately that's only a couple of times a week for us so no biggie. But if you get affected by the mainline trains as well that would be about 8 times an hour during the day.

Also, reading the docs again we wonder whether it might be part shop/part cafe downstairs. I'll have a bit more of a look over the weekend when I have some time.

My flat is about 10m from the railway line and shakes too with some freight trains, with things visibly moving but I survive.

I would have thought noise from the market would be much more of an issue to people worried about disturbance in that location.

My flat is about 10m from the railway line and shakes too with some freight trains, with things visibly moving but I survive.

I would have thought noise from the market would be much more of an issue to people worried about disturbance in that location.

Market noise is really not a problem if you've got double glazing :)

It looks like both the upper floor offices and ground floor shop unit have been rented out, going by the "Let By" signs which have appeared on the side of the building in the past day or two.

Anyone heard anything about the prospective tenants?

Good reminder :) We got a letter through the door the other day that the planning app has been withdrawn. So who knows what that means now :confused:

Good reminder :) We got a letter through the door the other day that the planning app has been withdrawn. So who knows what that means now :confused:
Hmm, interesting. This was the original application put in in Dec 2011 and confirmed by the council in March 2012:

11/04500/FUL | Conversion of the existing building into a ground floor and basement commercial unit and seven self contained flats on the upper floors, creation of waste and cycle storage, replacement and amendments to fenestration, alteration to the external elevational treatment and new entrances. A proposal for the conversion of an existing building named The Bradys located at No. 20 Atlantic Road in Brixton into a mixed development including a commercial unit at basement and ground floor levels, 7 No. residential units at the upper floors. The proposal comprises also of an extension to the rear of the site. | Railway Tavern Public House 20 Atlantic Road London SW9 8JA

There were also three related applications, one which was to subdivide the pub into a cafe (A3) and a retail unit (A1), one relating to external signage on the two new businesses, and one to change the use of the building from A4 (pub) to A3/A1. The latter one of these was refused by the planning committee back in March/April, which might have fcuked up the plans the owner/developer had.

The Brixton masterplan back in 2009 (?) stated that the pub should retain some sort of community use in its new guise. Hopefully that'll remain the case, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. The same masterplan also suggested that the back of the pub (currently a disused yard) might be used for some sort of public square and/or entrance to the back of the tube station to link up with the railway station. The plan which has just been withdrawn wanted to build into that area to create more floor space for the retail and upper floor flats.

Market noise is really not a problem if you've got double glazing :)
Ah some of us live in a building that is over 100 years old and in spitting distance of the rail tracks with no double glazing. You just grow used to not hearing the trains, and wonder what the problem is whenever a person beside you wakes in the middle of the night like an earthquake's happened and croaks 'what the fuck was that'?!

The LSH sales particulars stated:
"Lambeth is looking for proposals that lead to the regeneration of Brady's and provide A3 and community use".
They also stated that they were seeking a "commitment to refurbish".

It would be interesting to know whether Lambeth secured these commitments. It is of particular interest if they did not, since the community use requirements would have put off a lot of interested parties and subsequently kept the price down.

Internal building work appears to have started. Banging and drilling could be heard from inside yesterday, but the doors were locked so I couldn't get in to have a look....

Internal building work appears to have started. Banging and drilling could be heard from inside yesterday, but the doors were locked so I couldn't get in to have a look....

There was sweeping out happening on Monday, but doesn't look like they've got very far tbh.

FFS: if they council had handed the building over to a community group ten years ago, they would have something to show for this disgracefully empty building and it would be in far better condition. The squatters made it a community asset too.

Proposed ground floor plan here:
http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00353881.pdf

(and here's the existing ground floor plan for comparison: http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00353889.pdf )

Part of the front of the pub looks to be used as a (very small) cafe. Existing doors to the pub would be retained on Electric Lane and on the corner of the building on Atlantic Road. Good news (on a quick glance at the documents) is that it looks like the architects have had to go back to the drawing board to retain some of the original features and character of the pub. Bad news is that residential is still proposed for the upper floors (although this particular application only deals with the ground floor and basement.)

Proposed front elevation: http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00353877.pdf

Proposed side elevation: http://planning-docs.lambeth.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00353875.pdf

Full application here for planning geeks like me: http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MCAJHVBO0GL00

It does worry me that residential is still proposed for the upper floors. Unless there's hefty soundproofing built in, I imagine a pub might have difficulty getting a licence if people were already living upstairs.

It does worry me that residential is still proposed for the upper floors. Unless there's hefty soundproofing built in, I imagine a pub might have difficulty getting a licence if people were already living upstairs.

Well the other thing is that there are other residents already right on top of it. I know that the story of Bradys is largely one of happy folklore of Brixton legend, but the people living at the back of it in Electric Mansions weren't enormous fans of it from what I've heard. I'd suggest that they might not be hugely pleased about it coming back unless some rigorous noise and time restrictions were put in.

Back
Top Bottom