Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And next, Syria?

Clearly partisan source. But FWIW one of my work emails received this:

ANTEP (DİHA) - Turkish support for ISIS gangs has been proved once more with photographic evidence. Armed gang members have been photographed at the border with Turkish soldiers, bidding each other farewell.

Turkish support for ISIS gangs, which is constantly on the international agenda, has been documented once again by footage shot by the Dicle News Agency (DİHA), which shows armed men talking to soldiers before crossing into Rojava. This close support for ISIS contrasts with the treatment accorded to dozens of civilians from Kobanê who have been made to wait for hours at the Murşitpınar border gate by soldiers and have lost their lives as a result.

Intimate meetings between Turkish soldiers and ISIS!

Footage shot on the Zorava hill in Kobanê on 22 October 2014 shows five gang members arriving at the border where citizens of Kobanê have left their vehicles. The gang members burn the property of the Kobanê citizens, before taking away anything useful in the cars and heading towards the village of Siftêk, which is under their control. Then 2 gang members come to the border and talk to 7 soldiers who get out of an armoured vehicle. After about half an hour they say farewell to each other and leave the area. While what was said in the conversation is not known, the gangs who said farewell to the soldiers will be preparing to perpetrate fresh massacres. (mu)

If there is another question, do not hesitate ask.
take care,
Gunes Unsal
Editor
DICLE NEWS AGENCY (DIHA)
Foreign news
Phone: 90 212 253 01 86 - +90 212 253 01 28
www.diclehaber.com.tr
english@diclehaber.com.tr

Inevitable I suppose.

A third man, Abu Zeid, the commander of an FSA brigade near Idlib and a defector from the regime’s army, said: “All the locals here wonder why the US coalition never came to rescue them from [Syrian president Bashar] Assad’s machine guns, but run to fight Isis when it took a few pieces of land. We were in a robust fight against Isis for confiscating our liberated areas – but now, if we are not in an alliance, we are in a truce with them.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-syra-driving-anti-assad-groups-support-isis

Interesting bit in an Independent piece here

A teenage former grammar schoolboy who went to Syria has warned that Isis has “many” extremists “just waiting for the order to do attacks on the West”.

Shabazz Suleman, a former pupil of Royal Grammar School in High Wycombe, disappeared in the summer of 2013 while carrying out voluntary work with a Turkish charity providing aid to Aleppo.

It has previously been claimed that the 19-year-old was included along with another British national in prisoner exchanges that saw Turkish diplomats released from Isis custody in September last year.

And speaking to The Times newspaper in the aftermath of last week’s Charlie Hebdo shootings, Suleman claims he was given the choice to be part of the exchanges or deported back to Britain without being linked to Isis.

Praising the Paris murders, he said: “There’s so many brothers just waiting for the order to do attacks on the West.”

And describing how he was among 200 Isis captives eventually released by Turkey, he said: “Cops were friendly. Understood why we wanted to fight in Syria. They hated Assad, Israel etc. Their ideology was that of the Muslim brotherhood.

“It was good,” he added. “Had pizza in prison. Dominoes lol. Was allowed net. We spoke to dawla (the so-called “caliphate”) in prison. Watched Isis videos.”

“After a month of waiting they told us buses are waiting outside for u (sic). MIT (Turkish intelligence agency) ran the exchange. Told us we are free. Exchanged at the border. We drove into dawla.”

Interesting article here on Syria, these seem to be the latest thoughts slowly making their way through the reptilian brain of US foreign policy (taken from staunch Washington Consensus bull-horn: ForeignPolicy.com). I doubt they didn't know any of it already, more likely they've grown bored of attacking Syria and now want to focus more on other targets, so this is the rationalizing process:

“Most of the regime is Sunni, most of its supporters are Sunnis, many [if] not most of its soldiers are Sunni,” he writes. “The regime may be brutal, authoritarian, corrupt and whatever else it is described as, but it should not be seen as representing a sect.”

The sectarianism that does exist in Syria, Rosen argues, is preponderantly on the side of the anti-Assad opposition. The regime’s brutality toward the Sunni opposition, he writes, “was done more out of a fear of Sunni sectarianism than as a result of the regime’s own sectarianism.”

For this reason, Rosen argues, the conventional wisdom that the Assad regime is dedicated to oppressing Syria’s Sunni majority is fatally flawed. “It is more accurate to view it as a staunchly secular regime ruling a sectarian population with an Alawite praetorian guard.”

On the other side of Syria’s political divide, Rosen argues that the entirety of the armed anti-Assad opposition is dedicated to Sunni domination of Syria rather than any sort of secular, democratic future for the country. “There are no actual moderate insurgents either ideologically or in terms of their actions,” he writes at one point. Nor did most insurgents pick up weapons at the beginning of the uprising to defend themselves; instead, they did so “out of religious zeal or political extremism.”

U.S.-backed rebel leaders are dismissed as “warlords” and mercenaries. The so-called “moderate rebels,” he writes, “still all favor an Islamic government, they are anti-liberal, their views on women, secularism, democracy, non-Sunnis, anything for that matter are deeply conservative and often Sal[a]fi and they engage in grave human rights violations [or] war crimes.”

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/12/18/syria-assad-ceasefires-surrender-nir-rosen-hd-centre-report/

Interesting article here on Syria, these seem to be the latest thoughts slowly making their way through the reptilian brain of US foreign policy (taken from staunch Washington Consensus bull-horn: ForeignPolicy.com). I doubt they didn't know any of it already, more likely they've grown bored of attacking Syria and now want to focus more on other targets, so this is the rationalizing process:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/12/18/syria-assad-ceasefires-surrender-nir-rosen-hd-centre-report/

Not sure about any of the claims there and even if true it doesn't justify Assad's brutality.

You seek your objective view of the Middle East in the Washington Post?:eek:
hahahaha no I get my news from wherever, all over the place. As far as the Middle East is concerned quite a lot from Twitter - which is where this came from. I take your point but pretty much every major news outlet has an agenda of some sort, the original interview is on the Foreign Affairs website, make of that what you will. :)

And like assad needs a media job done on him.

Typical sirena collaboration, based on crude out dated child-like white hat black hat cowboy analysis.

Last edited:
http://m.thenational.ae/thenational...a-jihadism-in-syria-will-fuel-sectarian-fires

Just found this from 2013. Are there really more Shia jihadists than Sunni butchersapron ?
Beware of Hassan Hassan. And by saying "The number of foreign Shia jihadists in Syria is arguably greater than Sunni ones" he means Hezbollah and others that the Iranian theocracy has sent to prop up the assad regime i.e state and authority linked proxy armies rather than the goons flooding to ISIS. It's a slippery use of jihadi. Note also that was written long before the proper rise of ISIS -before the break the walls campaign had reached its culmination and before volunteers came flooding.

Beware of Hassan Hassan.

Ooh, how come?

I thought it seemed a bit hard to believe frankly. Sorry if that was a bit of a stupid thing to post, I don't know what are reliable sources on this issue.

And by saying "The number of foreign Shia jihadists in Syria is arguably greater than Sunni ones" he means Hezbollah and others that the Iranian theocracy has sent to prop up the assad regime i.e state and authority linked proxy armies rather than the goons flooding to ISIS. It's a slippery use of jihadi. Note also that was written long before the proper rise of ISIS -before the break the walls campaign had reached its culmination and before volunteers came flooding.

Yeah it seems hard to believe there would be more shia jihadis than sunni ones. And as you say, iranian state backed proxies aren't necessarily going to be ideological jihadis a la Isis are they?

Ooh, how come?

Because he argues different things depending on what audience he is talking to and whose paying. Arguing at different points that the Syrian revolution is simply jihadis, that the syrian revolution requires air strikes from the west in order to help them win,that they can't and shouldn't win, that the jihadis aren't that bad, opposing air-strikes, stuff boosting the FSA (such as it is), stuff trying to attack them and stir up trouble between them and kurds and so on. This is not simply adapting as events change (and as you fail to have seen them coming) it's saying what certain interests want to hear at certain times.

The regime managed to kill over a 1000 civilians in January. This whilst ramping up anti-ISIS rhetoric and moving towards the next stage of their presentation (it's now just a simple anti-fundie war) following YPG victory in the north and peshmerga pushing towards syrian border. Meanwhile the regime is also having to cut desperately needed social-subsidies (food and electricity left for now - though this is contested) across the board, impose a form of military impressment to deal with mass desertions. What a dynamic.

A really angry Yassin Al Haj Saleh here (few months out of date but only just published):

Yassin Al Haj Saleh: I am afraid that it is too late for the leftists in the West to express any solidarity with the Syrians in their extremely hard struggle. What I always found astonishing in this regard is that mainstream Western leftists know almost nothing about Syria, its society, its regime, its people, its political economy, its contemporary history. Rarely have I found a useful piece of information or a genuinely creative idea in their analyses. My impression about this curious situation is that they simply do not see us; it is not about us at all. Syria is only an additional occasion for their old anti-imperialist tirades, never the living subject of the debate. So they do not really need to know about us. For them the country is only a black box about which you do not have to learn its internal structure and dynamics; actually it has no internal structure and dynamics according to their approach, one that is at the same time Western-centered and high-politics centered.

The problem is that their narrow anti-imperialist worldview only sees Obama, Putin, Holland, Erdoğan, Khamenei, Qatari Emir Hamad, Saudi King Abdullah, Hassan Nasrallah, and Bashar al-Assad. Possibly they see also Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al Baghdadi. We, rank-and-file Syrians, refugees, women, students, intellectuals, human rights activists, political prisoners … do not exist.

I think this high-politics, Western-centered worldview is better suited for the right and the ultra-right fascists. But honestly I’ve failed to discern who is right and who is left in the West from a leftist Syrian point of view. And I tend to think that these are the poisonous effects of the Soviet experience, fascist in its own way. Many Western leftists are the orphans of the late father, the USSR.

Besides, what prevents them from seeing the victims of Bashar, when they see perfectly well ordinary people in Kobanê? Why wasn’t there the slightest interest in the slaughter of 700 people at the hands of ISIS thugs themselves in Deir Ezzor last August? One is forced to ask: Do victims have different values based on who their murderers are? Why, as the regime is bombing many regions in the country every day, killing dozens of people every day, are the leftists in the West as silent as the rightists? Could the reason be that the public killer Bashar and his elegant wife are symbols of the First World inside Syria, a couple with whom those in the First World identify easily?

YHS: To be honest, I have to admit that I do not know what leftists in the West do. I mean they are safer, they have passports, they have more opportunity to learn foreign languages, they can buy the books they want to read or at least they have access to them. So why do so many of them know nothing about Syria, feel nothing, and do almost nothing?

Again, it is not a thing they have to be making their governments do for us; it is something they have to do themselves in their countries for themselves. When they are in good shape in the United States, the UK, Germany, France, and so on, this is very good for us. They are salvaging, by standing with us in our struggle or at least by showing some understanding of our struggle, our chances to resist identity politics and victim politics in our countries. As they are now, they are only helping our local right, whether “modernist” or Islamist, by being very Western-centered and high-politics anti-imperialists.

anger and frustration is about the only sane response to whats happening...
what is the best case scenario for Syria now?

The problem for the left or for anyone who cares is that there is no easy side to take - its a rock and a hard place

Did i read it right that he suggests that the western left are siding with Assad ("could the reason be that the public killer Bashar and his elegant wife are symbols of the First World inside Syria, a couple with whom those in the First World identify easily?")
Im not sure what line people on the different fronts of the UK left are taking - who out there on the left is simply defending Assad?

"As they are now, they are only helping our local right, whether “modernist” or Islamist, by being very Western-centered and high-politics anti-imperialists."

the local left in Syria im sure are also anti-imperialist amongst their many worries.
Im not clear exactly what he wishes the western left were doing or saying....any one know for sure?

anger and frustration is about the only sane response to whats happening...
what is the best case scenario for Syria now?

The problem for the left or for anyone who cares is that there is no easy side to take - its a rock and a hard place

Did i read it right that he suggests that the western left are siding with Assad ("could the reason be that the public killer Bashar and his elegant wife are symbols of the First World inside Syria, a couple with whom those in the First World identify easily?")
Im not sure what line people on the different fronts of the UK left are taking - who out there on the left is simply defending Assad?

"As they are now, they are only helping our local right, whether “modernist” or Islamist, by being very Western-centered and high-politics anti-imperialists."

the local left in Syria im sure are also anti-imperialist amongst their many worries.
Im not clear exactly what he wishes the western left were doing or saying....any one know for sure?
Have you missed everything over the last three years? Who is defending Assad? Have a look at you nearest anti-imperialist left-winger. Have a look at this thread ffs. Here is as a member of the syrian left telling you that bullshit external anti-imperialism is killing the syrian revolution and your response is that you're sure the syrian left is anti-imperialist and it should be. He talks in the article about his frustration at the western left disappearing voices like his, of their inability to see him - and bang on time, he disappears in your reply, as quiet as if sent to one of assad's murder cells.

He tells you exactly what he wants the western left to do.

Anyway,l more on that dynamic of ramping up anti-fundi stuff whilst cutting off your own support base:

Bashar al-Assad has once again crossed his own “red line” on food subsidies. The Syrian government increased the price of a standard bundle of bread (1.55 kilograms) to 35 Syrian pounds ($0.19) from 25 Syrian pounds on January 17 — the second increase in the price of bread during the past seven months.

Last edited:
Have you missed everything over the last three years?

HI
why do you have to respond to everything with such anger - i really dont understand your attitude - can you see the tone of my message - it was full of questions - i wasnt dictating anything to anyone, i was looking for information - you just shut down conversation as usual - well done, youre a real man of the people

Back
Top Bottom