Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never heard of Laurie Penny until this thread. Since then having followed a few of the links, I am familiar with her journalism. To be fair I don't think she is important enough to justify a long slagging-off on here. She is young and not politically experienced, and yes she has found an income source from writing about the protests, but is that a real problem? In a popularity contest between David Starkey and Penny Red, I come down on her side. The thread opposed her to Alex Callinicos but there has been not much mention of this contest since. If people want to start a thread about Penny Red on her own, they should do so. If not then this thread is redundant.

I had never heard of Laurie Penny until this thread. Since then having followed a few of the links, I am familiar with her journalism. To be fair I don't think she is important enough to justify a long slagging-off on here. She is young and not politically experienced, and yes she has found an income source from writing about the protests, but is that a real problem? In a popularity contest between David Starkey and Penny Red, I come down on her side. The thread opposed her to Alex Callinicos but there has been not much mention of this contest since. If people want to start a thread about Penny Red on her own, they should do so. If not then this thread is redundant.
Bit late for that. Might be a good idea to change the title mind

Attending a birthday bash with her poor, precariously living mates.
She is the co-founder of Beneath the Half Moon with Sherene Schostak, held new and full moon circles at the Edgar Cayce Center, and travelled extensively with tarot in hand.

Katelan is a Taurus, with Leo rising and a Moon in Capricorn

PRICING:

30 min: $90

60 min: $175

REIKI & CLEANSINGS:

Spiritual Cleansings: $30

Reiki 30 min: $60

Reiki 60 min: $90
Any group rates I wonder? Proletarian Democracy could do with a good reiki cleansing.

As a standup comic, Jennifer has performed at clubs and colleges nationwide and for the troops in the Middle East, Persian Gulf, and Africa.
Somebody called Jen Dziura there. That's not very right on is it?

Hocus, you don't agree that a radical journalist being a lying poverty tourist is worth having a thread about?
for a year and a half? full of the utter shith this thread is (even before the wank pics were posted).

Penny Dreadful is a talentless egotist who will be gone and forgotten in another year and a half, this is all rather OTT for such low-hanging fruit

maybe a repost but who the fuck are these people

what jolly japes the Greek economy tanking is for those poor Greek types.

we’ve been waiting to announce this for a while. On the 4th of July, the splendid Ms Molly Crabapple and I are going to Greece to do some reporting, meeting up with activists and community organisers on the ground in Athens and elsewhere. Molly is an artist who lives in a loft full of birdcages opposite Zucotti Park; I’m a journalist who lives out of a large red backpack on Molly’s floor. We met during Occupy Wall Street and have spent the past several months experimenting with making things happen together – when I went to cover the protests in Chicago and Montreal this summer, I took pictures on my phone and sent them to Molly, who created art from them. Discordia, however, is the first trip where both of us will be there on the ground. She will make pictures, I will make words, we will try very hard not to get arrested or deported, and all shall be marvellous. Discordia is an experimental art-and-journalism project, taking the Hunter Thompson-Ralph Steadman macho model and twisting it to our own ends, and it’ll be published as an ebook in the Autumn.
Putting this project together has been interesting from the start, as I assumed we’d be staying on the floor of a squat and Molly assumed we’d be in some sort of bougie hotel with taps that actually work, and the process of gradual compromise began there, as did my exhortations that Ms Crabapple wear shoes that are at least vaguely sensible. Right now we’re learning rudimentary Greek, pestering contacts and reading a great deal, and whatever happens while we’re there, we hope to produce something really innovative and worthwhile. Stay tuned!

Attending a birthday bash with her poor, precariously living mates.

Radical Chic: That Party at Penny's.

And here we have from the girl herself The return of the Radical Chic evening

A sea-change is taking place in youth culture across the world, a change that largely refuses to be co-opted, monetized or impressed by fame. Many of the people in the Bowery Hotel risk being swept away by the tide of history, and one or two of them almost know it. In a world where the society of the swarm is beginning to devour the society of the spectacle, celebrities have nothing to offer a people’s movement that does not begin with the abnegation of their celebrity.

This really is getting far too easy.

Self-satirising. She probably thinks she's offering some postmodern deconstruction of celebtrity culture in the activist milieu. Or some bullshit.

Penn Badgley, Zoe Kravitz and other young NY celebs throw a sparkly party for Occupiers. Confusion rules

For fuck's sake. A sparkly party that most of the people she claims to speak for would never be able to get to, full of twats and media luvvies. A sparkly party for occupiers jesus fucking fucking christ. A party by the bourgeoisie thrown "for" us. For us! Would my mate carly be able to go to that eh penny or would they throw her out for looking like a chav and not knowing about all that radical bullshit you're talking about? Would my mates be able to afford the price of the drinks? Is it any wonder people don't give a fuck about the left and don't give a fuck about you?

These actors, models, artists, publicity flunkies and those young and well-dressed enough to make their way past the bouncers have spent most of their professional lives learning how to half-listen until it’s their turn to half-speak. “My boss just told me to show up,” says one of the P.R. girls. It’s as good a reason as any to learn about a new people’s movement.

Badgley, Daniel Pinchbeck, Zoe Kravitz and others organized this event in order to raise awareness about the Occupy movement among those in New York society who spend their trust funds in private clubs. A self-consciously scratchy recording of Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A-Changin’ ” plays over an exquisite invisible sound system as you walk in, through a forest of helium balloons, to a low-lit hall where people like Alexa Chung and Olivia Wilde make the scene. The room is full of people who won’t speak to you until their handlers approve, all of them trying earnestly to understand the profound change that has taken place in the zeitgeist that provides their income.

The zeitgeist that provids their income. What a load of fucking shit! Raise awareness about the occupy movement among those in New York society who spend their trust funds in private clubs. Do you know something? FUCK those people! I don't want them near ANY movement im part of especially if they're going to be making money out of it and turning it into some sort of che t-shirt merchandise bollocks.

In fact, we do, but very few of them get invited to parties at the Bowery Hotel. Around the edges of the Occupy movement, a new generation of creatives is beginning to make art that actually matters. Some of that art can be found daubed on pieces of cardboard and held aloft at marches, some of it is tacked on the walls at radical bookshops or illegally wheat-pasted around major world financial districts. Much of it happens on the Internet, and all of it has a sincere quality that utterly confuses those who, ever since the days of Nirvana, have worked to make abject conformity seem like radical individualism, to prostitute the energy of youth to the wealth of age, and to dress apathy in the drag of iconoclasm. It is because of people like this that the Strokes ever sold a record.

And what if they don't get invited to the bowery hotel because they've got no money or because they're union reps who are working hard with problems AT WORK eh penny? problems that you almost certainly know absolutely nothing about but your parents' generation probably will? Sorry for the epic rant it just makes me sick !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom