Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Aaron Kosminski Named As'Jack the Ripper.' DNA match between Kosminski and victim Catherine Eddowes.

Amongst the many documentaries about the Ripper case there is one which stands out for me. It concludes that it was this man and reveals that the detective who dealt with the case, Abberline, was given, years later on retirment, not a pocket watch on a chain, but a walking stick with a face carved on it. That face was of the man they had locked up in an asylum a few days before the police were withdrawn from the case.

apparently the walking stick is preserved at Bramshill Police Staff College.

The question is, why didn't they publicise the catch? Why was the identity of Jack the Ripper covered up by the police?

It had to be a political reason.

Last edited:
I always thought JTR wasn't a rapist. Is that wrong? If not how did his spunk get on the shawl?

Well according to Wikipedia :
Macnaghten's notes say that "Kosminski" indulged in "solitary vices", and in his memoirs Anderson wrote of his suspect's "unmentionable vices", both of which may match the claim in the case notes that Aaron committed "self-abuse".

I guess Jack the Wanker doesn't have quite the same ring.

(Although given the state of the Ripperology industry it has a certain appropriateness).

Amongst the many documentaries about the Ripper case there is one which stands out for me. It concludes that it was this man and reveals that the detective who dealt with the case, Abberline, was given, years later on retirment, not a pocket watch on a chain, but a walking stick with a face carved on it. That face was of the man they had locked up in an asylum a few days before the police were withdrawn from the case.

The question is, why didn't they publicise the catch? Why was the identity of Jack the Ripper covered up by the police?

Would that be this documentary:

cause they couldn't actually prove it was him?

suspect it could well have been that the streets were quieter, less trouble to police when people were scared of the ripper. so why not let the fear stay as long as possible.

PlancheA_195279.jpg

The author of this book recently opened The Official Jack the Ripper Store in Toynbee Street E1.

ZQNdd6f.jpg

picture courtesy casebook.org

http://www.jacktherippertoursandstore.co.uk/

Shop and website offer a range of truly Rippertastic gifts :
zIjre5h.png

The great thing about Ripper solutions is that as soon as someone comes up with a new one his fellow Ripper experts can be counted upon to welcome it with the enthusiasm of piranha's. Over at the forums at casebook.org (ripperology central) there are several threads about this new book. This one touches on the multiple issues with this theory :
http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=8296

It's because he was Polish, they were scared of being called racist. It's political correctness gone mad!

Was he the ripper though?
If Eddowes was a working prostitute she may have a lot of DNA evidence on her clothing, he may have been a customer not her murderer.
Evidence would have to be unique to stand up in court.

Was he the ripper though?
If Eddowes was a working prostitute she may have a lot of DNA evidence on her clothing, he may have been a customer not her murderer.
Evidence would have to be unique to stand up in court.

Depends. Much of the other evidence against Kosminsky is circumstantial, but there's enough of it, IMHO, to make a prosecution worthwhile and quite probably to have seen him convicted and either sent to an asylum or hanged. There's such a thing as weight of evidence, where there's so much circumstantial evidence that the sheer amount thereof is enough to swing and jury (and, in those days, a defendant). Plus the profile of the case would have lawyers lobbying behind the scenes to prosecute or defend, because the publicity would make them celebrities and do wonders for their careers either as he lawyer who nailed the Ripper or, in the event of an acquittal, probably gain the defender their own chapter in the 'Great British Trials' series of books. Which are rather good books, as it happens.

Bakunin, It wasn't that documentary and I can't remember which one it was.

It's because he was Polish, they were scared of being called racist. It's political correctness gone mad!

I doubt that such a twattish concept existed back then. However, The establishment in the 1880's may have wanted to keep things under control and saw no gain from allowing the news (of the Ripper's identity) to stoke up a backlash against people of the Ripper's origin, for their own less than politically correct reasons. I'm not up on the political sensitivities/dealings of that period, but I think it would be interesting to know what was going on politically and why, in this case, it wasn't seen as wise to stoke up division between people. (if, and only if, they knew this man was the Ripper). Perhaps Pogroms would have led to wider unrest that could have ended up threatening the status quo.

Was the East end a powder keg ready to spark a revolution?

It's also strange that more than 100 years on, there is a lack of declassified documents that could throw light on the Ripper case and it's political implications.

rather than think this;
"they were scared of being called racist. It's political correctness gone mad!"

I would think this;
"they were scared of civil disorder becoming more widespread, political survival gone mad!"

Last edited:
This seems pretty flaky.

"Ripperists" are ten a penny, especially ones pending book publications. But this IS Bakunin who seems convinced, so any 'crime and punishment' enthusiasts should probably take it a bit seriously on that basis alone.

Judgement reserved.

No I reckon it may have been a landed gentry individual ..even related distantly to the Queen which was also mentioned..cause in Britain royal decree or relations to royality would stop an legal investigation...oh right..sure

Bakunin, It wasn't that documentary and I can't remember which one it was.

I doubt that such a twattish concept existed back then. However, The establishment in the 1880's may have wanted to keep things under control and saw no gain from allowing the news (of the Ripper's identity) to stoke up a backlash against people of the Ripper's origin, for their own less than politically correct reasons. I'm not up on the political sensitivities/dealings of that period, but I think it would be interesting to know what was going on politically and why, in this case, it wasn't seen as wise to stoke up division between people. (if, and only if, they knew this man was the Ripper). Perhaps Pogroms would have led to wider unrest that could have ended up threatening the status quo.

Was the East end a powder keg ready to spark a revolution?

It's also strange that more than 100 years on, there is a lack of declassified documents that could throw light on the Ripper case and it's political implications.

rather than think this;
"they were scared of being called racist. It's political correctness gone mad!"

I would think this;
"they were scared of civil disorder becoming more widespread, political survival gone mad!"

what was going on?

off the top of my head:

home rule debate, liberal party split. an insecure liberal-tory government, by a coalition that wasn't quite a coalition at this stage.

local government act, starting the establishment of local councils, which would soon give women the vote in local elections. the matchgirls strike. the end result of the bradlaugh case allowed an affirmation to take a seat in parliament.

it was 3 years since the publication of the maiden tribute of modern babylon, which made allegations about a white slave trade in 12 year old virgins. and was significantly responsible for the fuss that led to raising the age of consent to 16.

and more importantly, 2 years past the repeal of the contagious diseases act. therefore the police had recently lost a lot of the power they had to control prostitution. and harass women in general. in a society where the role of women was starting to change.

its great that lessons of near 150 odd years ago were learned and the met now take murdered sex workers seriously and don't get Freddy Patel in to give the policemans preferred COD

He's finally been struck off so the met are gonna have to find a new tame pathologist.

Dr._Riviera.png

Seriously baby, I can get you any cause of death you want.

Forensic Investigation of a Shawl Linked to the “Jack the Ripper” Murders from Journal of Forensic Sciences.

A set of historic murders, known as the “Jack the Ripper murders,” started in London in August 1888. The killer's identity has remained a mystery to date. Here, we describe the investigation of, to our knowledge, the only remaining physical evidence linked to these murders, recovered from one of the victims at the scene of the crime. We applied novel, minimally destructive techniques for sample recovery from forensically relevant stains on the evidence and separated single cells linked to the suspect, followed by phenotypic analysis. The mtDNA profiles of both the victim and the suspect matched the corresponding reference samples, fortifying the link of the evidence to the crime scene. Genomic DNA from single cells recovered from the evidence was amplified, and the phenotypic information acquired matched the only witness statement regarded as reliable. To our knowledge, this is the most advanced study to date regarding this case.

Yeah, it was him. Maybe

Last edited:
I read, or listened to something that fairly comprehensive debunked this. Unfortunately can't remember where... To do with the provenance of the shawl, contamination and other stuff.

I read, or listened to something that fairly comprehensive debunked this. Unfortunately can't remember where... To do with the provenance of the shawl, contamination and other stuff.
The claims in the OP or the work done in the link i posted above?

Back
Top Bottom