Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Zaragoza, Spain - places to see, things to do, news and chat

Callie

Pivoting
Anyone know anything about Zaragoza or has anyone been there? All the pics on google look lovely and im thinking of going for a weekend.

thanks!

All I know is a very rude song: 'recogiendo patatas te vi la figa, y entre patata y patata te la metia, te la metia redios, te la metia..' taught to me by someone from Zaragoza. I hear it's beautiful, but maybe don't sing that.

It will be coldddd if youre thinking of going anytime soon. There's lots of snow up in the north of spain.

I was thinking of going recently too, but decided to wait. Great acess to the Pyrenees from there, but it's skii season so expect higher prices!

There are various bomb shelters from the civil war, "refugios" I've heard you can visit, and the cathedral is a big deal definitely. Roman stuff too. In general I think it's quite overlooked, but I have a friend from there, so will ask what she recommends.

Cool thanks. Was thinking of going in lateish March, not massively bothered by cold as long as there are warm places to go and eat, drink and be merry!

Last edited:
I lived there for a year about 25 years ago. Pleasant enough little town with the River Ebro running through it. It has a cathedral, El Pilar, with an unexploded bomb from the Civil War. I spent most of my time hanging out in the bars and clubs and restaurants in the old part of town, a maze of little cobbled streets which get rammed every weekend in summer. It was incredibly cold over winter, but spring is lovely. As the Spanish say, the time when the women take off their fur coats and put on their breasts. Buen Viaje!

I think one of my students is from there. She says it is beautiful and that there are some great beaches. I'll ask her on Thursday when I next see her.

All I know is a very rude song: 'recogiendo patatas te vi la figa, y entre patata y patata te la metia, te la metia redios, te la metia..' taught to me by someone from Zaragoza. I hear it's beautiful, but maybe don't sing that.
what the actual fuck lol :D

Rebelda

I'm gpoing to ring up me madre and sing it to her (though I have no idea what tune) get her to translate coz I'm only getting potatoes...:D

I read the book which was good. :D
93180.jpg

Only driven through it though.;)

How bad is my translation these days? Picking potatoes?! Literally it's collecting. Digging up I suppose.

Im there now and it is really bloody nice! Cheapish, friendly, lots to see and do, few foreign tourists (way more people in all the places the camino de santiago goes through) and great stuff nearby.

Very windy! Nothing between the mountains and the city other than the high plains.

Other than the wind, it is one of my favourite cities in Spain. A good cultural mix for a small place. Not too conservative. Affordable. Fabulous, huge plaza for hanging out in. Interesting history etc. After Granada, Leon and San Sebastian, Zaragoza would be 4th, or 5th choice for a small city break in Spain for me. It also has a great train station centrally located for such a small place.

Ahh San Sebastian is also on my list. Havent made any specific plans for going to Zaragoza as yet as other stuff is getting the way eg my other half's parents are visiting London from New Zealand in August. Theyre looking at renting a villa in Barcelona :D The visit is absorbing money, holiday allowance and brain energy so any other holiday plans are on hold.

Im there now and it is really bloody nice! Cheapish, friendly, lots to see and do, few foreign tourists (way more people in all the places the camino de santiago goes through) and great stuff nearby.

Can you make a little list of your favourite things to do and places to go? eat drink be merry? Whats the weather like?

Ah I was just passing through, was on a road trip with my dad. So no, I dont know it very well but I did like what I saw!

The plaza and basilica were great.
Modern art museum and terrace above pretty cool
Roman theatre was awesome.
Loads of Goya stuff and various museums. Some of the war scenes are straight out of Syria. Grim! My dad liked it.
Wine and menu del dia pretty good, tapas bars in the old town on a few streets around iirc calle liberadores well worth checking out.

Not too far from Barca, pamplona and the pyrenees which are WICKED. It is probably a scorcher in summer, but you could head to the coast.

The north of spain neednt eat your money, altho san sebastian and barca probably will. I like both but find san seb a little meh at times somehow. Great place, not denying that, but when youre young it's a bit too..... well bourgeois really. Bilbao is more interesting, more to do and more of an edge. Vitoria is also GREAT.

Back
Top Bottom