Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Worthing from Tooting

hash tag

Reaching out
What with the Worthing Popular Front amongst other things, is Worthing the new Tooting?
BBC News - How seaside town newcomers sapped Tory strength

BBC News - Sussex Poplar Front: Hundreds join tree protest festival

What with the Worthing Popular Front amongst other things, is Worthing the new Tooting?
BBC News - How seaside town newcomers sapped Tory strength

A coastal town popular with retirees has voted Conservative for decades but an influx of urbanites has unsettled the status quo.

That happened in 2018, and it was messy. :D

1p.jpg

I needed a sit down, and only a kids' stool was handy.

More photos -

Should I move to Worthing ( I know Mrs Tag wouldn't mind Hove ).

Depends what you want, it's cheaper than Hove, plenty of people have moved here from Brighton & Hove for that reason, and it's no longer God's waiting room, there's been a good few positive articles on the town in national papers & magazines recently.

It’s Friday night and a DJ is playing Ibiza tracks at Coast Cafe. Beyond the open doors, drinkers sip Aperol Spritz at tables on the pebble Sussex beach and fire jugglers ready themselves for sunset. It could be Brighton, but it isn’t. This is 10 miles west, in the UK’s most famous seaside town’s less fashionable neighbour: Worthing. This lively end-of-week scene is just one of the hints that the town’s sleepy retirement image is a thing of the past.

A few metres further along the front, Crabshack serves up excellent seafood on raw-wood benches and an outdoor deck strung with lights. On the other side of the pier, the town’s ugly multistorey car park now sports an al fresco food court, erected during the pandemic on the jutting roof of level one. In deckchairs on artificial grass, groups still gather for seaview sundowners and wood-fired pizza.

Worthing is a breath of fresh air. Like Eastbourne, the town hasn’t had it easy and has borne the brunt of others calling it “God’s waiting room” ever since the 1980s. However, it now attracts all sorts of people and has grown in popularity with first-time buyers and those looking to escape London.

Everything you need to know about moving to Worthing.

Last edited:
I used to sell the Big Issue in Worthing about a decade or so ago. I really liked the town and many people there were kind and generous to me. Lots of good and decent working class people.

I knew it was a Tory town but I have fond memories of my time in the area. I didn't get the impression that it was particularly posh, relative at least to a lot of other places in West Sussex.

I used to sell the Big Issue in Worthing about a decade or so ago. I really liked the town and many people there were kind and generous to me. Lots of good and decent working class people.

I knew it was a Tory town but I have fond memories of my time in the area. I didn't get the impression that it was particularly posh, relative at least to a lot of other places in West Sussex.
It appears there are young urbanites moving there which could send it left. As cupid_stunt has already mentioned, Hove is moneyed and on the other side is Rustington which was one of the wealthiest areas in the country. So Worthing is nicely sandwiched, up and coming even? Just need to get all those pot holes fixed.

It appears there are young urbanites moving there which could send it left. As cupid_stunt has already mentioned, Hove is moneyed and on the other side is Rustington which was one of the wealthiest areas in the country. So Worthing is nicely sandwiched, up and coming even? Just need to get all those pot holes fixed.

Let's hope so.

I do remember that one day some far right organisation set up a stall almost opposite me trying to get people to sign a petition and join their mailing list.

I've been trying to remember what they called themselves or what their bullshit pretext was that day, but I can't. I do remember though that i immediately saw them for who and what they were and found it depressing that a fair few people were being hoodwinked into signing their petition. I desperately wanted to start shouting that they were the fash and that they should fuck right off but I was worried that doing so would be a foolish mistake as I'd potentially make myself a target.

I did speak up about them to those who approached me though and most were not amused. After a while I felt so sick about their presence and my lack of courage that I decided to pack it in for the day and as I left i went over to them and said something about not knowing who they were or what they were doing but that they were very close to my official pitch and I'd appreciate it if they didn't set up their stall there in future. For whatever reason, I never saw them again, thankfully.

It's changed a lot in the 20 years I've been here, and it's certainly not a Tory town now, back in May, Labour took full control of Worthing Borough Council for the first time ever, they also took all the town's seats on West Sussex County Council too.

I wouldn't say Rustington is that wealthy, there are some posh houses in the south, but it's expanded to the north & joined up to Littlehampton. Between Rustington & Worthing are the villages of Ferring and East Preston, which I would say are wealthier.

I quite like it. Some very nice architecture. Lots of friendly people - in my experience, they tend to be working class Londoners doing weird and wonderful things to bridge the gap until their pensions begin, but I'm sure there are others, including people who are actually from Worthing. Isn't it meant to have a fairly longstanding alternative subculture? Lovely countryside all around and easily accessible.

It's all there - potential on every corner, some of it already met. I can see the appeal. I recall one late summer evening, on my way to Worthing by train, when the train suddenly filled up with tanned and chilled out beach people, hot surfer boys, and cute skateboarders who'd evidently been spending the day in Brighton. It all felt like a bit like Australia, or California. A little glimpse of what England can be at its best.

I did have a disturbing moment in an antique shop in the arcade that leads to the seafront - I stood back to admire something and banged into a mannequin behind me. I turned round to straighten it up and was startled to find it wearing a gestapo uniform. I asked the guy working there if it was an original, and he said proudly that it was. I suppose some Tory shopper came along and made a dream impulse purchase.

Isn't it meant to have a fairly longstanding alternative subculture?

Yes, for example there used to be two proper cannabis cafes, first Chris Baldwin opened the 'Quantum Leaf', that got too busy, so he opened up 'Bong Chuffa' on the other side of town, both were shop units and totally open about what they were doing, sadly both were closed just before I moved here.

There was another one, that was invite only, but after several raids relocated to Lancing, a village that's basically attached to the town, I finally found someone prepared to take me along, when this happened -

They re-built the wall and re-opened a few days later, I was still tempted to go along, but it was clear a heavy hand was now involved to close it down, and I didn't fancy being there during a raid and possibly losing my job at the time.

Back
Top Bottom