Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Woolwich: Developers ordered to demolish 'mutant' apartment blocks

editor

hiraethified
Here's a story to cheer everyone up - a pisstaking developer gets their come-uppance. I hope the residents are adequately compensated.

1696006523998.png

A developer has been ordered to demolish two apartment blocks in south-east London over breaches of planning conditions.
The high-rise blocks in the Mast Quay Phase II development in Woolwich were "substantially different" to the approved plans, Greenwich Council said.
The council said there were "at least" 26 deviations to the plans originally approved in 2012.
The developer, Comer Homes Group, can appeal against the decision.
Both blocks comprise 204 apartments and the council said it would support existing tenants in the build-to-rent development in finding alternative accommodation.
Councillor Aidan Smith, the council's cabinet member for regeneration, described the blocks as a "mutant development".
"We cannot let what has been delivered at Mast Quay Phase II go unchallenged," he said.

I read this earlier, it's a practically unprecedented development although I would expect an appeal.

Imagine you had bought one of the flats on a mortgage - it's demolished then you're stuck paying a mortgage for literally nothing. That developer is going to be getting sued into oblivion (and rightly so).

Who in their right mind says 'fuck the playground, we're building a carpark, and the plans are more of a guide than a rule??!!' Not a quote, more a summary of events.

build-to-rent
Possibly behind the times, but that's a new one on me!

Looks like it's down by the ferry. Don't get down that way much, but nice that someone's getting held to at least some account for once.

Plenty of other huge new developments in the area, of course.

I'm fairly sure that these are the blocks where the lift shafts went up first and the blocks were built around those. It's no mean feat to sort this out - do the lift shafts get demolished as well?

Couldn't they be fined instead and ordered to make reparations? Just thinking about the people that have bought homes.

It's a build-to-rent development, so nobody needs to worry about people buying with mortgages there. The developer will be the one on the hook for rehousing the tenants. They will, of course, try to find a way to get out of that.

The company didn't even wait for the block to be signed off as safe to occupy before moving tenants in, which is actually illegal rather than just a breach of planning regulations.

(There's another part of the development that has homeowners in, but that's not affected by this).

Couldn't they be fined instead and ordered to make reparations? Just thinking about the people that have bought homes.
always sensible to open your negotiations with a position in excess of what you'd settle for.
onus is on the developers now to come back with a counter proposal on how the development can be remediated satisfactorily.
sounds like it'll be difficult though.

Should have been possible to identify the problems a bit earlier on in the project? Isn't that what building control does? I don't feel sorry for the developers but it's a huge waste of resources and making the tenants who live there homeless obviously.

Tearing it down seems like a terrible idea - on the surface. Mandatory possession by the local authority would seem a better way to solve it but then the law probably wouldn't allow this.

The ideal penalty woiuld be for the developer to forfeit the entire property and the flats be turned over to council tenants. But it'll still be an eyesore.

Yeah, that was my thoughts too. I don't think the law would allow it because the developers still legally own the land and presumably still have the right to make good or tear down the development. It would be a nice outcome though.

I don't think it would be a nice outcome if the flats have not been built to an acceptable standard. For a start it would obligate the council to maintain them in perpetuity. And generations of future tenants would be condemned to living in substandard accommodation.

I'm generally very pleased about this decision, and hope it sets a precedent for future developers who decide to take the piss. Cant help but feel for the residents though, who's lives will be disrupted through no fault of their own.

Back
Top Bottom