Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wildlife or Outdoor Camera Recommendations?

Badgers

Mr Big Shrimp!
R.I.P.
Do not (and have little) want to spend a lot on this but I really want to set up some garden cameras ans ideally steam this to my smart tellybox or at least a laptop. Have got bird feeders in the windows so that is easy enough but no good for outside.

Am starting to get Muntjac Deer and Badgers in my 'nature reserve' so want to watch them :D

I have a YI Home Camera on a fish tank already but no good outdoors.

We've got a Blink XT2 camera which is really designed for monitoring your front door. However it uses special low power wifi tech which means it can last for upto two years on a pair of lithium AA batteries.

All the other motion-activated night vision weatherproof cameras I looked at needed hard-wiring or regular battery faffing which is either a hassle or means you can't move it around easily. It records clips and uploads them to the cloud automatically, sending an alert to your phone with the option of switching to live view.

Apart from the neighbourhood cats it's revealed we have regular hedgehogs, foxes and mice.

it’s probably not the best solution for streaming tbh, more useful for putting in various places and logging what passes by.

If you want to chill in front of the screen watching for what happens then a wired solution would best, simply because of the power consumption.

It doesn't stream video, just takes photos, but we built one of these and have gotten some great bird photos with it. It was a fun project to build too.

It doesn't stream video, just takes photos, but we built one of these and have gotten some great bird photos with it. It was a fun project to build too.

This looks brilliant.

I suppose it depends whether you want HD.
I briefly had a tiny analogue wired camera in my porch aimed at a bird feeder.
It was so cheap, I would have happily taken a chance on DIY weatherproofing.

Nice one. I recently got a zero, this sounds a cool project. Can you get it to send the pics back over WiFi?

I got a Reolink as the first time I'd seen a good wireless battery-powered video for about £100 - that was about a year ago, I'm not sure of the price now. It's good, also has infra red and I've got lots of clips of birds on the feeders. The app for tablet is a bit clunky but does work well enough. Just got a bluetit examining it on this puter (disappears at 0:16) I use memory card to download to computer.

View attachment Rec_20210113_133605_151_M.mp4

Back
Top Bottom