Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why do people wrap their suitcases up in a half ton of cling film?

editor

hiraethified
I'm at an airport now and almost every single bag is sealed up in cling film. I'm used to seeing the odd bag wrapped up but there's hundreds here.

What's that all about then?

20190401_194715.jpg

It's for those air passengers who aren't content with simply burning huge amounts of fossil fuels unnecessarily to allow them to get somewhere else on the planet quickly, they want to use even more hydrocarbons and generate even more pollution by unnecessarily wrapping their stuff up in plastic while doing it.

I'd say about 80 per cent of the bags on the carousel were wrapped up like this. Some had vast layers of plastic all over them.

It's for those air passengers who aren't content with simply burning huge amounts of fossil fuels unnecessarily to allow them to get somewhere else on the planet quickly, they want to use even more hydrocarbons and generate even more pollution by unnecessarily wrapping their stuff up in plastic while doing it.

Turning oil into plastic means that it won't get burnt and lead to an increase in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, so it's really quite a green thing to do.

I'd say about 80 per cent of the bags on the carousel were wrapped up like this. Some had vast layers of plastic all over them.
I have been flying a fair bit of late. Don't bother with the plastic wrap myself but through Europe and the UAE I saw only roughly 5-10% of the bags wrapped in plastic.

Was this a USA flight?

Wrapping is sold as an anti-theft measure - I haven't seen it much, but it's been a while since I passed through any airports notorious for theft, which airport is it where you're seeing almost every bag wrapped in plastic?

View attachment 166309
theres several machines doing this in Malpensa in Milan, waste of money and waste of plastic imo

I have been flying a fair bit of late. Don't bother with the plastic wrap myself but through Europe and the UAE I saw only roughly 5-10% of the bags wrapped in plastic.

Was this a USA flight?
No, I was at Rome airport. I was in the US last month and I hardly saw any bags wrapped up like this - I always assumed that they were bags that had broken up until today!

All the bags I saw in Madagascar were like this. But then all airports are just a pick and mix free for all for the workers there.

A friend always does this with his case, but for a different reason. He once arrived in Paris, and his case came round on the carousel completely soaked in orange cordial. Completely dripping. Everything inside was sticky and saturated. There was no explanation or apology. No one else's wet. He was livid.

After recently seeing a suitcase pretty much fall apart around the wheels after luggage crews flung it around, it could also be to ensure stuff doesn't fall all over the place after airport lakeys chuck your shit about.

I've seen it more in Europe, but seems to be something older people get done to stop theft.
IMG_20190125_173626358.jpg

It's a mad price though, especially in the UK. I did see a bloke outside Rome airport a few years ago with his own roll of cling film though. Seemed a smarter way of doing it!

Most modern suitcase come with locks that are supposedly approved by airports. I guess dodgy baggage handlers know the code that too.

TSA approved locks are a flawed concept tbh. It's probably better to just use any old cheap padlock now and rick them breaking it open.

Back
Top Bottom