Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who knows Google sheets?

MrCurry

right after this urgent rest
Aarrghhh! This is driving me crazy. I’m trying to do something so simple, but I can’t make it work.

I just want to add together two numbers (130,000 and 25,400) and divide the result by 1.4 in a single cell. I’ve written it in ways which make sense to me as a long time excel user, and that doesn’t work. I’ve tried to use the DIVIDE function and that’s not working either. I’ve tried adding the two numbers and entering that as a single number and that hasn’t helped - all I ever get is “formula parse error”

Please someone save me from my unfamiliarity with Gsheets and tell me how this should be written?

B9FC615E-59C3-4D6D-A472-3A7CF7EEDF3F.jpegCFE5E1B5-FBF8-49DE-A9AF-BBC9C391DB19.jpeg

I've just tried both methods on Sheets and they worked.

The only thing I have done differently is I have inserted a space after the semi-colon in the DIVIDE calculation - I notice you don't have a space in yours - dunno if that's what's causing the issue at your end - worth trying it, though, 'eh?

Are your cells formatted as something odd/other than what they are when you open a new sheet up?

I've just tried both methods on Sheets and they worked.

The only thing I have done differently is I have inserted a space after the semi-colon in the DIVIDE calculation - I notice you don't have a space in yours - dunno if that's what's causing the issue at your end - worth trying it, though, 'eh?

Are your cells formatted as something odd/other than what they are when you open a new sheet up?
I did try with a space and that didn’t help. It’s most likely there is some conditional formatting which is locking down the cells. I’ll have to ask the guy who created the sheet. Thanks for answering!

I did try with a space and that didn’t help. It’s most likely there is some conditional formatting which is locking down the cells. I’ll have to ask the guy who created the sheet. Thanks for answering!

Both methods gave me the correct result so that leads me to think that it is probably formatting related, too.

Can you do that calculation on a new tab (without the formatting) and =that cell in the sheet you showed us? Might work.

Oh this has all already been said. :facepalm:

I didn't even know there was a Divide function. Why would anybody ever use that?

Both methods gave me the correct result so that leads me to think that it is probably formatting related, too.

Can you do that calculation on a new tab (without the formatting) and =that cell in the sheet you showed us? Might work.
It throws an error even on a new sheet. I’ll send below shot to the creator of the spreadsheet and ask him what’s up

7F7E3FE4-E777-41A4-A2F7-51BF8F4DFA38.jpeg

fyi anyone who is interested in Google Sheets

Free ebook at the moment:

Just downloaded this. Ta!

I have two Google Sheets questions. This is basic stuff I think but I am no spreadsheet expert and I expect I could work it out but have to try and sort something in a bit of a hurry.

1. I have a column G of values, and I want to make a new column H that shows these values multiplied by a certain factor (let's say 2). So I can type =G2*2 in cell H2; this gives me what I want in H2 and then Google Sheets prompts to ask me whether I want to auto-fill all the cells further down column. I can answer yes to that, and I get what I want, but if I later add another row, let's say row 99 at the bottom, I don't think that H99 is going to automatically fill with the formula =G99*2. Is there a way I can set it up so that however many extra rows get added to the bottom, column H will always use that formula to multiply from column G?

2. Columns A, B and C each can have values of 0, 1, 2 or 3 in their cells. I want to make a column D that fills with something like "TRUE" if 2 or more of the cells in columns A, B and C have a value of 2 or higher.
So lets say it's row 5:
If A5=2, B5=2, C5=1 then D5=TRUE
If A5=3, B5=1, C5=1 then D5=FALSE
If A5=3, B5=2, C5=0 then D5=TRUE
etc
What formula can do this for me?

Back
Top Bottom