Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

White leather boots - are they going to be a bastard to keep clean?

Oula

Voice of a Goddess Giant
I did google this and everything I found said they aren't any trouble at all to keep clean - but that was all from sites trying to sell me white leather boots or various cleaning sprays, so I wanted a more impartial opinion.

I've fallen in love with a pair of white leather boots. Is this a terrible idea? I'm not going to wearing them in muddy situations - I have black hiking boots for that. These will be worn on pavements around town only.

Do I need to put something on them before wearing them outsider to repel dirt? If so, what?

What sort of leather is it? If they're made of coated leather then that will possibly crack and peel. If it's full grain then they're much easier to maintain - get some white shoe cream and clean and polish them regularly.

Colourless wax before you wear them the first time. Brush dust and dirt off every time. If they're wet, let them dry naturally first.

Essentially, yes, they'll be difficult to keep white. It'll be worth the effort though.

They look like sheep or pig leather, so quite stretchy, the white will be a thin coating, like paint. So, they can be restored. The main problem is if you use a white cream, the black contrast stitching will stain, so you'll have to avoid the stitching, if you can. I'd recommend Woly white shoe cream. The Woly creams are brilliant. You can restore white leather where the thin coating has come off with Angelus paints. Angelus Leather Paint | Leather Paint, Leather Dye, Preparation & Finisher They work really well, I had some old Miu Miu sandals from the 90's where the coating had come off the white calf leather and I restored them and then sold them. Angelus is much better than that crappy shoe dye that we had years ago, that used to all peel off.
As long as you look after them, they'll last.

Oula Those boots are wonderful. I think you would regret not getting them more then you would regret doing the maintenance and upkeep. I had a pair of white biker boots for a while. I bloody loved them. Very flashy and although I didn’t wear them often, sometimes they were the absolute perfect thing and made a difference to my entire mood for the day/evening. Sadly my feet got too big for them and I had to give them away.

pinkmonkey

Those paints look like just the thing I need.

I have a fake leather bag that I really like but the surface layer of plastic is almost completely flaked and peeled off. Rather than throwing it away I want to somehow upgrade it. Remembering the painted back panels on leather jackets on the eighties I briefly considered using gloss paint and enamel paint but I think that would probably be a disaster.

So now I’m thinking that this leather paint might do the trick.
There are studs and zips etc involved but I’m thinking that I can do some cutting in around the zip and maybe paint on wipe off for the studs. Just seems really wasteful to throw out the bag when I might be able to keep using it. And I like it. And I wouldn’t mind if the effect isn’t pristine. Some version of trashed is also acceptable.

Any thoughts about whether this might work?

58DF9939-E69A-449B-95A0-2148CBC49419.jpeg2C0EA97E-8780-48D9-8A0B-B2E7B9A1AAE3.jpeg3B6E3611-3AE2-477F-81FE-EBCBFEA5C958.jpeg

Last edited:
story - your bag is p.u. with a woven backer. The p.u. coating is peeling off, you’d have to try peeling the rest of the coating off. Angelus say their paints work on canvas. There are plenty tutorials online for Angelus + canvas, here’s one: Standard for Shoe Customizing: Canvas Material

Thank you so much!

Yes, I know I need to get rid of the rest of the coating. I just wanted to include it so you can see what I’m dealing with. It seems to come away pretty easy.

I don't know. They look like this.
View attachment 349622
The website says "high quality leather upper"
You will be fine.

I was going to come on here and authoritatively (I have many white leather trainers) declare the leather (i.e. real leather) will be fine, it's the laces and cotton/textile stitching that will show all the grime and dirt (and can't easily be cleaned)...But these eliminate that concern perfectly by having all those problem bits in black!

Can't go wrong with red boots. No idea what you'd clean those with though :D
They're are fake vegan suede, made of recycled plastic. I'm going to spray them with suede protector and hope for the best (I know you were joking, but I have considered it)

Back
Top Bottom