Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

where in London is this?

pbsmooth

this is the view from a top floor balcony of a terraced house in London. you can see Battersea Power Station, Shard and London Eye in the distance.

anyone work it out? just from a YouTube video I was watching and curious.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 12.48.31.png

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 12.52.28.png

this is the view from a top floor balcony of a terraced house in London. you can see Battersea Power Station, Shard and London Eye in the distance.

anyone work it out? just from a YouTube video I was watching and curious.

View attachment 358511

View attachment 358512

I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable about this. I'm sure it's all innocent, but could you post up the video please (or send it to me privately).

also, Crispy - how did you do that? google maps 3d view or something?
Google Earth Pro, the standalone app. You can draw arbitrary straight lines (or rather, geodesics). So what I did was look at the photo and find some buildings that are vertically aligned, but are well-separated on a map. I started with the Walkie-Talkie tower and Battersea Power Station. The NW corner of the tower is exactly framed by the Northern chimneys.

aligned.jpg

THen I went to Google Earth and started a line at the NW corner of the tower

wt.jpg

and put the other end in Richmond somewhere so that it passed exactly between the two Northern chimneys of BPS.

bps.jpg

line.jpg

Then I just scrolled along the line with the camera facing the right way until I found the middle-ground buildings (the blocks of flats on the right and the mansard roof in the centre). And then I could look around the line for the specific roofs/windows in the foreground. I could have done another line using other landmarks and searched where they intersect, but one was enough in this case.

aha.jpg

Google Earth Pro, the standalone app. You can draw arbitrary straight lines (or rather, geodesics). So what I did was look at the photo and find some buildings that are vertically aligned, but are well-separated on a map. I started with the Walkie-Talkie tower and Battersea Power Station. The NW corner of the tower is exactly framed by the Northern chimneys.

View attachment 358552

THen I went to Google Earth and started a line at the NW corner of the tower

View attachment 358550

and put the other end in Richmond somewhere so that it passed exactly between the two Northern chimneys of BPS.

View attachment 358553

View attachment 358549

Then I just scrolled along the line with the camera facing the right way until I found the middle-ground buildings (the blocks of flats on the right and the mansard roof in the centre). And then I could look around the line for the specific roofs/windows in the foreground. I could have done another line using other landmarks and searched where they intersect, but one was enough in this case.

View attachment 358556
Please promise me you'll put yourself forward for the role of head detective in the next series of 'Hunted'. The contestants won't know what's hit 'em.

Back
Top Bottom