Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where can you buy new reel to reel tape?

ska invita

back on the other side
I cant find any anywhere...

Ideally after RMG SM911 1/2 inch tape, but other 1/2 inch tape would be considered
Studiospares are out
118059.jpg

thanks

and to pre-empt any "just use a saturation plugin" comments - ive tested it with plugins and recorded to some old tape, and fact is tape is the magic ingredient <not up for debate ;)

I used to work at Studiospares many years ago, picking and packing orders, fucking amazing the stuff they have in stock.

There'll be places in Soho that sell it, just trying to remember the name of the shop I always used to go to for weird / old / obscure recording formats...

I used to work at Studiospares many years ago, picking and packing orders, fucking amazing the stuff they have in stock.

There'll be places in Soho that sell it, just trying to remember the name of the shop I always used to go to for weird / old / obscure recording formats...
there used to be Stanley Production on Wardour St where I used to buy tape, but they stopped selling it a few years ago. They might have closed down altogether, but I dunno.

Last edited:
Last I heard about getting supplies my mate had to import it from the States. If I can get hold of him I will ask, though it was over a year since he was looking.

also, apparently Quantegy (456 and 911) is compatible with RMG (both 456 and 911). might be worth looking into that as well.

what tape machine did you end up getting, ska?
im doing at a firends whose got some kind of a Tascam IIRC. Hes got a bit of tape, but its old and he doesnt want to tape over an hours worth of material... and yeah, old tape on ebay isnt worth the money, agreed.

im doing at a firends whose got some kind of a Tascam IIRC. Hes got a bit of tape, but its old and he doesnt want to tape over an hours worth of material... and yeah, old tape on ebay isnt worth the money, agreed.
old is not too much of an issue, more wrongly labelled 'new' tape. I've had nightmares with sticky tape and shedding.
good second hand reels can be as good as new ones.

...but you cant know with old tape what condition it really is in, even if still in shrink wrap, till it gets put on the spool...too much of a gamble for me.

Ive been suggested here:
http://www.funky-junk.com/rmgi-grand-maxima-sm900-half-inch-10-5-reel/
not the right tape exactly, and expensive as, so will keep looking...
that is pricey! I remember when a reel of 456 was £30, only a few years ago. prices have gone through the roof since Quantegy seized production, it seems.
whatever you end up buying, make sure it's compatible to your mate's set up.

a cheaper option is to look out for pancakes. you'll have to spool them up yourself, but you will safe money.

talking tape, i was wondering, back in the day when tv was being recorded, did the audio go to a separate tape? even in cinemas, how was playback done between sound and audio? if audio and visual are separate i can imagine all kinds of syncing problems...

even super 8 had a sound opition:

wiki says said:
The super 8mm system was one of the few film formats where the requirements of sound were designed in from the start. The sound track was added on the edge of the film opposite to the perforations (see the illustration at head of the article). Standard 8mm had the stripe between the perforations and the edge of the film which made good contact with a magnetic head problematic. A balance stripe was sometimes added on the opposite edge to facilitate spooling of the film. Projectors that could record and play sound appeared before sound cameras. The sound was recorded 18 frames in advance of the picture (as opposed to 56 frames for standard 8mm). This short distance of just 3 inches facilitated the relatively compact size of the later sound cartridges. Some projectors used the balance stripe to provide a second channel and hence stereo sound.
Super 8mm was also specified with an optical sound track. This occupied the same location as the magnetic track. Picture to sound separation in this format was just 16 frames. Projectors and cameras obviously could not record sound in this system, but optical sound package movies became briefly popular, particularly in Europe (mainly because they were cheaper to produce - though the projectors cost more). Although the optical sound should have been inferior in quality to magnetic sound (running at 3.6 inches per second for 24 frames per second), in practice it was often much better, largely because packaged movie magnetic sound was often poorly recorded

i got to thinking about it after watching some old tv music footage and it having a really nice warm sound - and i guess one way or another it was all going to tape...
this kind of thing (picked at random)
as much as I love working with and the sound of tape, pro tools really is a god-send for making film music. I wouldn't know what to do without. it's so easy to chop things up and move things about if need be, I can see tape being very time consuming for this kind of work.

as much as I love working with and the sound of tape, pro tools really is a god-send for making film music. I wouldn't know what to do without. it's so easy to chop things up and move things about if need be, I can see tape being very time consuming for this kind of work.
oh sure - nightmare - though in terms of film edits, the old cut and stick did lend itself to some interesting cutting styles...

...but my theory here is Digital recording is neutral - it doesnt add anything or take it away - its transparent. So recording to digital and getting the mix as best you can, and then bouncing to tape to add tape character, and then recording back from tape to digital, should create exactly the same sound as if you went straight to tapein the first place and cut from there. Im happy with that anyway. So yeah, do all your chops and arrangements on digital and then master to tape at the very end, and even bouncing back to digital should sound exactly the same as playing it from the tape.

what do you reckon

Back
Top Bottom