Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whats is the weirdest thing to stop a game?

Bingoman

With a Drone over the Brentford Community stadium stopping play and a Fox stopping play at Leyton orient just wondering what is the strangest or weirdest thing you have seen or heard that stop a game?

I remember watching a Bolton vs Arsenal match the game was interrupted by someone with a parachute flying into the ground

I've seen the ball kicked out of the ground at both Colchester and Southend and a few dogs on the pitch. Streakers were once a thing.

The team was down an unrecoverable amount, so they stole all the footballs.

The game was called due to lack of balls.

The one that stands out for me as a Lincoln fan is the delay to Torquay's last game of the 1987 season because a Police dog bit their keeper.

Naturally they scored in the time added on and we got relegated. :facepalm:

Jim McNichol, our defender, to be nitpicky.

The dog was called Bryn and there's a beer named after him.

Given our respective positions in the football pyramid, though, I guess you had the last laugh.

I do recall a mid-winter game at Plainmoor where the floodlights packed up. One of our perennial relegation battles and - sod's law - we were winning for the first time in months.

After about 15 minutes of no action on fixing the lights the ref was on the verge of abandoning the match, but our caretaker manager at the time (who is largely remembered for this act alone) stalled him long enough for someone to magic up an electrician.

I enjoy watching The Big Match Revisited on ITV4 and it’s amusing how many dogs got onto pitches and stopped play in the 70’s and 80’s. If you follow a Sheffield team there’s always eleven pigs on the pitch during a Derby game providing nobody gets sent off.

Balls stopped play!

charlton fans did that as well 'balls to roland' [duchatelet - then owner] but with beach balls (think there was another match where stress balls or tennis balls or something were involved as well as the match previously mentioned involving pigs.)

charlton-protest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom