Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's Eastbourne like?

telbert

Do you like sponge?
The missus is a little down in the mouth atm, so as the weather is looking great all week,ive suggested a quick weekend away to the south coast. No decent hotel availability in Whitstable, Rye or Brighton so im now looking at Eastbourne, and once again asking my fellow Urbs the best place to see, eat & drink please. TIA

South Downs. And that's it.

Eastbourne is the only town I've seen with a full-on High St shop that sells mobility scooters. They are everywhere. Dodge them. Dodgems.

I lived there for a year. I didn't enjoy it.

Engels liked it. But that was nearly 200 years ago now. They have a plaque.

The missus is a little down in the mouth atm, so as the weather is looking great all week,ive suggested a quick weekend away to the south coast. No decent hotel availability in Whitstable, Rye or Brighton so im now looking at Eastbourne, and once again asking my fellow Urbs the best place to see, eat & drink please. TIA
Good luck getting a reply. This was my attempt many moons ago

I've not been over to Eastbourne for some years, but I know it has changed a lot for the better, much like here in Worthing, it's no longer considered one of God's waiting rooms.

If Worthing is a possible other place for your visit, I posted a lot about the town & surrounding area on danny la rouge's recent thread -

Haven't been for a few years but it was a yucky shingle beach and full of coffin dodgers last time I was there. I prefer Hastings.

Fuck that!! im looking at Brighton again. Thanks for the heads up.:D

As I say, it's changed a lot in recent years, so the experiences others have posted about are probably somewhat out of date.

Here's an edited down post I recently made on another thread, Worthing is a lot cheaper than Brighton for a short stay TBH.

Worthing has changed a lot in the 25+ years I've been here, it's certainly no longer 'God's waiting room', it's recently featured in various national magazines and newspapers as being a hot spot to move too. As people say, London is moving down to Brighton, Brighton is moving to Worthing. To show how it's changed, Labour took control of the borough council a couple of years ago, for the first time ever, coming from having no councilors on it about 5-6 years ago.

There's plenty of good pubs & restaurants, independent cafes and shops, art galleries/artist studios, a growing live music scene, and a few clubs, a museum, two cinemas and two theatres, long & pleasant prom, you can walk or cycle on the coastal path to Brighton and certainly as far as Littlehampton in the other direction, <snip> we're right on the edge of the South Downs National Park, It's one of the sunniest places in the UK, hence being known as 'Sunny Worthing'.

The Time for Worthing website is a fairly good resource to get an idea about the place.

There's some fun photos & comments from the Worthing urban meet-up back in 2018 from THIS PAGE.

ETA - this post is sponsored by Worthing Borough Council. :D

Eastbourne itself might not be great but you've got some lovely countryside nearby, Beachy Head, Seven Sisters Country Park/ Cuckmere Haven, Long Man of Wilmington.
Outskirts of Eastbourne has the 14th century Lamb Inn which is OK for a pint even if it's just so you look down their rather impressively deep well next to the toilets.

Last edited:
Eastbourne itself might not be great but you've got some lovely countryside nearby, Beachy Head, Seven Sisters Country Park/ Cuckmere Haven, Longman of Wilmington.
Outskirts of Eastbourne has the 14th century Lamb Inn which is OK for a pint even if it's just so you look down their rather impressively deep well next to the toilets.
To be honest i just want somewhere in the sun for a couple of days with good food & drink to help put the sparkle back in my wifes eyes. Ive bit the bullet and booked Brighton now. Thanks for all the input.

To be honest i just want somewhere in the sun for a couple of days with good food & drink to help put the sparkle back in my wifes eyes. Ive bit the bullet and booked Brighton now. Thanks for all the input.
Right choice mate. For family reasons I go down every few months. And it aint much better than when i first started going down 15 years ago.

If you've got a car and it's a really decent value hotel, I'd say go for it. If you don't like Eastbourne you could go for days out? Loads to see round there.

I suspect half the country has decided to head to the beach this weekend so hotels are going to be pricey and scarce. I was thinking of taking the kids away but there is nothing cheap left.

dunno really - my only experience of eastbourne is going there a few times to visit grandmother when she was in hospital there, so i haven't really seen the sights...

how about hastings?

ETA -

Ive bit the bullet and booked Brighton now. Thanks for all the input.

oh

It gets a mention in the "what's in Brighton" threads along with the chemical spill one...

It's ok, nice enough in places but still plenty of old world charm (grim old folks)

Eastbourne on a sunny day is beautiful, genuinely stunning scenery.
In winter all roads lead to beach head to be fkli

When our train arrived at Clapham it was already nearly full with people standing! We want more trains and/or more coaches.

Back
Top Bottom