Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whatever Happened to Max Boyce?

I saw him once at a folk club in Cardiff in 1974. It cost 50p from memory. He hasn't been on television for about ten years as far as I know. I don't suppose he is in great demand now that he is old enough for his bus pass.

Off the internet -

On the eve of the Millennium Max was awarded the MBE in the New Year’s Honours list, and was made an Honorary Fellow of the 'Welsh College of Music and Drama'. In that same year he was a recipient of the first ever Chancellors medal from Glamorgan University which he attended as a mining apprentice.

On March 1st 2005, Max was back on the television with a BBC St. David's Day special, with Cerys Matthews from Catatonia as his special guest.

Later that year Max toured Australia, and performed in an unforgettable sell out concert at the Sydney Opera House. This was recorded Live for BBC Television. A special guest that night was a young unknown Katherine Jenkins, whose ambition at the time was to play that iconic venue.

Such was the popularity of the programme it was later released on DVD and nominated by the BBC for a BAFTA award. Another sell out British concert tour followed including 7 sell out concerts at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff.

In 2007 Max was voted by Red Dragon FM as Wales’ greatest living legend.

During the last Rugby World cup in France, Max recorded another television series entitled Max Boyce’s World Cup Journey, with Special comedy guests including Rob Brydon, Sue Jones of Little Britain and Gavin and Stacey fame.

Recently Max has recorded his 7th series of the radio program the Final Curtain. He has also completed a short British tour which included a date at the Colston Hall, Bristol with Special guests The World Famous Treorchy Male Voice Choir.

NEW TOUR DATES

October 2009
Weds 14 & Thurs 15 CWMBRAN Congress Theatre 7.30pm £17.50
BOX OFFICE 01633 868 239 www.congresstheatrecwmbran.co.uk

Thur 22 MACHYNLLETH Tabernacle 7.30pm £22.50
BOX OFFICE 01654 703 355 www.momawales.org.uk
Tickets on Sale 1st August

Fri 23 COLEFORD Forest Theatre 7.30pm £22.50
BOX OFFICE 01594 833 416 www.rfdc.ac.uk/theatre.asp

Sat 24 PONTARDAWE Arts Centre 7.30pm £22.00
BOX OFFICE 01792 863 722 www.npt.gov.uk/theatres

Tue 27 Oct EBBW VALE Beaufort Theatre 7.30pm
BOX OFFICE 01495 355 800 www.blaenaugwentveneues.com

Thur 29 HARLECH Theatr Harlech 7.30pm £22.50
BOX OFFICE 01766 780 667 www.theatrharlech.com

Fri 30 HARLECH Theatr Harlech 7.30pm £22.50
BOX OFFICE 01766 780 667 www.theatrharlech.com

But obviously, apart from that, he's not in great demand now that he is old enough for his bus pass.

he;s usually got some chat show type vehicle on around the time of the 6 nations too. I saw him live a few years back, lots of old jokes from the old records, but great delivery, had a great night.

Neil Lewis, his guitarist and right hand man for many years died recently after a long illness. He was a great guy, RIP Neil.

Back
Top Bottom