Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to do with a kilo (or more) of cooked lamb that has been spiced with a cumin rub

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
I mean really this is a lot of meat, it is spiced and cooked on the charcoal burner, then it has ended up in my hands and I have a fucking load of it.

I think the immediate thing to do is freeze most of it, but how to use it (I eat meat but the thought of a lamb dying and ending up in the bin is awful)

Tagine or some other Moroccan (or thereabouts) inspired dish is the obvious thing to do. Also curries.

Any other ideas?

I mean really this is a lot of meat, it is spiced and cooked on the charcoal burner, then it has ended up in my hands and I have a fucking load of it.

I think the immediate thing to do is freeze most of it, but how to use it (I eat meat but the thought of a lamb dying and ending up in the bin is awful)

Tagine or some other Moroccan (or thereabouts) inspired dish is the obvious thing to do. Also curries.

Any other ideas?
If its freshly cooked (tonight) then you should be able to freeze it.

Portion it up in bags or containers before freezing, so that when you come to eat it, you can just defrost a sensible chunk, instead of having to do the whole lot/chip bits off while frozen.

1kg is a decent amount of meat, but not ridiculous. I think that's probably 8 portions of food? You and your mr/mrs, that's 4 meals sorted.

Defrost in fridge when ready, the night before. Probably best to use in curries etc, rather than kebabs where the frozen-ness will be more apparent. I'm guessing here, though?

Another vote for freeze it and bring it back out to put into curries. If it’s spiced with cumin that will blend in nicely and you could start a chickpea curry and throw in the lamb to bulk it out and for contrast.

Shame it wasn’t still raw, then you could have put it into a tandoori marinade.

Give it to the homeless

Yeah I mean technically that is a good idea and if I was better off I would take it down the road and hand it out to folks. However we are up shit creek financially ourselves and occasional free food is a nice perk that goes some way to alleviating the strain of shitty wages that kitchen porters get...

I'd probably cook a batch meal and freeze that rather then freezing the meat and then cooking with it.

I'd also probably be a total pig first.

Apart from portions for a couple of meals straight away in the 'fridge, I would suggest making up some curries or similar to freeze in ready meal format, as well as freezing some "as is" to give you a choice later.

A Kilo's not that much. I once did a kilo plus joint for two friends and the three of us smashed the whole thing. Those were the days when I could afford lamb. Reckon I'd do some sort of stew bulked with plenty of veg and freeze portions after cooking now.

A Kilo's not that much. I once did a kilo plus joint for two friends and the three of us smashed the whole thing. Those were the days when I could afford lamb. Reckon I'd do some sort of stew bulked with plenty of veg and freeze portions after cooking now.

I didn't actually weigh it tbh, so it could well be more than that, I am terrible at judging weight but that is what scales are for - I'll report back on that, because it will be interesting to know!

Thank you all for the suggestions, I actually really fancy lamb tagine (I'll just make up a large batch and freeze it in portions) and making more of the spinach and lemon rice that I did with our Greek inspired dinner last weekend to go with it - I reckon it will be a beautiful fit with a nice tagine. I think there might be some cooked chicken in one of the boxes, that may end up as a curry to eat tonight and a lamb tagine to portion and freeze - it will be more handy than ever to have some meals in the freezer now I am doing more volunteering and getting back into work - I may not fancy cooking from scratch after a long day so a nice home cooked meal that I can defrost and reheat will be lovely.

I am also going to make a batch of yoghurt and cucumber sauce (of some type that is popular in many parts of the world, be it cucumber raita or tzatziki) which will go equally well with curry (which Nate will be having when he gets in) or tagine - I just remembered we had an open tub of natural yoghurt and a cucumber in the fridge in need of using, so that will be perfect.

Last edited:
Massive shepherds pie, cut and freeze portions
As much as I love shepherd's pie, this meat is highly spiced with cumin and cinnamon amongst other things - and I am a shepherd's pie traditionalist (I will argue about whether carrots are allowed :D ) - it will suit a tagine or curry much better!

Oh I weighed it - I have about 1 kilo of chicken (skin on) and about 2.5 kilos of spiced lamb

Happy days! :eek:

Whatever I do with it all I am going to be playing freezer tetris at some point

As much as I love shepherd's pie, this meat is highly spiced with cumin and cinnamon amongst other things - and I am a shepherd's pie traditionalist (I will argue about whether carrots are allowed :D ) - it will suit a tagine or curry much better!
Surely it depends what the shepherd had in his pockets?

Surely it depends what the shepherd had in his pockets?

RIght cos some hill shepherd in Surrey (where I grew up btw, massive area for lamb/mutton/wool production, and where shepherd's pie is a big deal) is likely to have handfuls of cumin and cinnamon

If those spices are already on it, I am not going to force it out of its comfort zone, it is going in a tagine or curry

Back
Top Bottom