Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What to check when buying a 2nd hand iPhone?

terrythomas

An absolute shower
All I know is to check it’s unlocked and I’m not even sure how I do that!

I’m currently struggling on an iphone6 and nothing’s working anymore, time to upgrade.

I want to get at least an 11 I think so I don’t have to renew again for a while but they’re not cheap so I need to make sure I know what to look out for.

Any help gratefully received 🙏

Not sure how old that is but I need something newish for the operating system as my apps are stopping working and I use them for work

Clue is in the 2020. ;)

It's the second iteration of the "small edition" (SE) that came out Summer 2020.
Mine is still zippy as hell, and they're a lot cheaper than most IPhones (think mine was £369 when it came out - still something like that, but I can see refurbished ones for £160 upward).

Presumably as long as the screen is working and apps seem to work, which you can check by using, the main issue is going to be battery life? And unless you have it in test for a while, you are going to have to take that on trust. I suppose you could get an intermittent fault with the hardware but that doesn’t seem that likely compared to a compromised battery?

someone told me newer phones have a way of displaying what the battery health is like

But if your buying 2020 or newer I'd expect it to be ok. I passed on my 3 year old Huawei to my partner and the battery still does all day. There's been a fair bit of improvement on this front.

Looks like if you need it changed down the line it can be done.

Interested to know why, what could go wrong?

Just less likelihood of post-purchase aggro is my view on this - dunno about 8ball 's view.

e2a: Ahh >>
Yeah, that's the most likely thing. Also buying from licensed vendors means certain guarantees etc.

I like having a warranty or someone I can quickly go back to should I need to - personal preference I suppose. I'd much rather buy a used phone from CEX than from an individual on eBay, for example.

I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but in Spain the equivalent of Carphone Wharehouse sells refurbished phones. They give warranties etc as if the phones are new. Perhaps they're worth trying.

But if your buying 2020 or newer I'd expect it to be ok. I passed on my 3 year old Huawei to my partner and the battery still does all day. There's been a fair bit of improvement on this front.

Looks like if you need it changed down the line it can be done.

The Huawei battery is positively supernatural in its powers!

If i was buying a secondhand phone I'd get it from Back Market.

All I know is to check it’s unlocked and I’m not even sure how I do that!

I’m currently struggling on an iphone6 and nothing’s working anymore, time to upgrade.

I want to get at least an 11 I think so I don’t have to renew again for a while but they’re not cheap so I need to make sure I know what to look out for.

Any help gratefully received 🙏

I'm in the same position with an iphone6 which was second hand when I bought it.

I've just looked at Back Market. What did you get?

Back
Top Bottom