Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what should i buy off my steam wishlist?

Kaka Tim

Half Arsed and Slapdash till I Die
Some games have come up on my wishlist and id like to hear the considered opinion of urban before shelling out.

Bit skint these days. Splashed out on red dead redemption 2 but i dont have enough disc space to run it :)facepalm:) and recent ""bargain" purchases have been disappointing - the saboteur (you punch lots of nazis , but its humourless, cliched macho tosh ) , steel division 2 (cant get the hang of it and not sure i can face several hours of tutorial videos) crusader kings 2 (ditto)
So -
we have
Battle Brothers £11.49 - turn based strategy - but looks like you can just dive in
Nex Machina £7.49 - a highly rated shoot em up. Dont have many of these other than COD1 and 2. Wich i still play.
The outer worlds - £24.99 - RPG - but is it just fallout with spacesuits?

I dont do multiplayer generally - so this is very much for me and my pc and my weed pipe.

Crusader Kings 2 is fantastic once you get it - however I only felt like I was getting a handle on it about 100 hours in :D

Outer Worlds I didn't really get on with, though it looks nice.

There are plenty of free games available - I know Epic get a hugely bad press but they do at least one free game a week, and some are actually decent - I'll be downloading Rage 2 next Thursday.

Free games on Steam - Path of Exile gets rave reviews, a huge dungeon crawler. Eve online is free as is Destiny 2, Star Trek Online, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Warframe, World of Tanks, Dota 2

But what I'd do in your position would be to buy Mad Max off cdkeys for £3. It's brilliant. I've got 112 hours in it and I'm still not done.

Battle Brothers is great. Can be difficult, your soldiers are never better and often quite a lot worse than the things you are fighting - especially at the start when brigand thugs will quite happily kill them but if you fancy guiding a warband of beggars, lumberjacks and tailors to greatness then definitely recommended.

Nex Machina is possibly the greatest shooter I've played. Absolutely top notch. Becomes zen like once you get into the rhythm of it. Everybody should play it. Quite intense (my wife asked me why I was breathing funny) but really good. Also has the best soundtrack

Oh Nex Machina is nothing like Cod though. It's a twin stick bullet hell score attack game. ;)

Battle Brothers is great. Can be difficult, your soldiers are never better and often quite a lot worse than the things you are fighting - especially at the start when brigand thugs will quite happily kill them but if you fancy guiding a warband of beggars, lumberjacks and tailors to greatness then definitely recommended.

Nex Machina is possibly the greatest shooter I've played. Absolutely top notch. Becomes zen like once you get into the rhythm of it. Everybody should play it. Quite intense (my wife asked me why I was breathing funny) but really good. Also has the best soundtrack

cheers

battle brothers sounds fun - can you jump in and play easily enough?

and do you need a joystick for nex machina?

cheers

battle brothers sounds fun - can you jump in and play easily enough?

and do you need a joystick for nex machina?
Controller is best for NM. You can use keyboard & mouse I think but never done it.

You jump straight into BB, you get an intro mission and then you're free to do whatever you want (you get to pick a goal like get 10 men or get a battle standard). It is quite gritty though. No magic or anything, and your soldiers are shit at the start.

Controller is best for NM. You can use keyboard & mouse I think but never done it.

You jump straight into BB, you get an intro mission and then you're free to do whatever you want (you get to pick a goal like get 10 men or get a battle standard). It is quite gritty though. No magic or anything, and your soldiers are shit at the start.

gritty is good. cant be arsed with spells and elves and shit. never bothered with the magic stuff in skyrim.

Of the three you mentioned, I've only played Outer Worlds - it was okay, some fun writing, a bit like playing a Heinlein book, but I didn't feel any burning desire to actually finish it once I got off the first planet.

Another +1 for Max Max though, that was really good, and for £3 it's an absolute bargain.

I've played CK2 sort of, just too much to get into, couldn't be bothered watching loads of tutorials and youtube video to understand wtf is going on, barely played. Feel the same about other paradox titles I've tried and avoid them all now. Would not recommend unless you're willing to put in the time and like the huge amount of micromanagement that paradox games allow (if you do, then you should try it, as far as I can see people who like paradox games love them, but they are not for me, I prefer a greater level of abstraction in strategy games).

Outer Worlds is the only other one I've played. It was good but not great. Visually it's great. The world you explore is interesting but not enthralling, the characters are mostly ok as is the dialogue and story options (bar one thing that you have a dialogue choice with no real indication of how important it's going to be in choosing a story line outcome later on, which lots of people have complained about).
Mechanically/game play wise it works fine, I played it on the easy / story mode setting because I'm basically uninterested in combat so ymmv if that's an important part of the game to you.

I felt like it could have been brilliant but was missing something to make it really spark. I'm paid £8.99 for it iirc and played it through once with no desire to play it through again and am happy with that price / value, but don't think it was worth the full price. I'd play an Outer Worlds 2 game but definitely would wait for a big sale to buy it.

got battle brothers - and enjoying it immensely. The joys of poking enemies with a very long pole arm from two hexes away ....

In other news "Everspace" has just come up on my GOG wishlist - for £3.50 - anyone played this? looks pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom