Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question What’s an old iPad useful for? iPad 2, iOS6

MrCurry

right after this urgent rest
So I have an old iPad 2 which I never updated beyond iOS6, because I didn’t want to slow it down. That worked - it’s still nice and responsive, but sadly the number of apps which will work on iOS6 is dwindling and an increasing number of websites don’t like such an old version of Safari.

From what I understand, updating the iOS might fix some app compatibility problems (but not all, because it won’t update to current version) and would come at the cost of turning it into a very slow device. So I’m wondering what it might be useful for? Battery still seems ok, surprisingly. Selling it on eBay won’t yield much, so I’m just wondering if there’s a use to which I can devote it to?

I’m thinking, maybe digital photo frame (plugged into power full time), or (with suitable app and add on hardware) in car entertainment system user interface screen, or maybe CCTV monitor, if I can link it to some IP cameras....

But just wondering if anyone out there knows what people use old iPads for, when they’re a bit past it?

Bed side clock.

You, sir, are a genius...! This may be the bright idea I was seeking, as my conventional clock radio next to the bed has tiny digits and I can never see the time when I wake in the night, as I’m not wearing my reading glasses.

I’ve just found an app called “The Clocks” which works on iOS6, so testing it now. Thanks for the idea :thumbs:

46926102-EB2C-4AD5-A6AF-160269EC3512.jpeg

Do you have a wobbly table?

You’re also a genius, but more of the evil kind :D:thumbs:

Last edited:
You, sir, are a genius...! This may be the bright idea I was seeking, as my conventional clock radio next to the bed has tiny digits and I can never see the time when I wake in the night, as I’m not wearing my reading glasses.

I’ve just found an app called “The Clocks” which works on iOS6, so testing it now. Thanks for the idea :thumbs:

View attachment 189294

You’re also a genius, but more of the evil kind :D:thumbs:

nice. It’s what I use a very old iPhone 4S for. As well as flipping it over so the torch is a bedside light.

Back
Top Bottom