Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WFH - One large monitor v 2 screens

Hollis

bloody furious
Currently i have a 23 inch monitor - definitely would benefit from a second screen, with more monitor space for working/comparing documents.

My question is a) I've just discovered the windows 'snap' function - which makes it easier to organise windows on one screen, and b) I see there are larger curved monitors now available.

Any thoughts on the benefits of going for one large monitor or going for 2 screens.

My desk is not the largest either so I need to use the space well..

:confused:

I see there are larger curved monitors now available.
I've got a curved monitor and I've no idea if it makes a difference - my glasses correct the curve anyway, and I only see it when I take them off. I suspect they're a bit of a gimmick (that I obviously fell for). But larger monitors are good simply because of the area you've got to work with.

Apparently the term i was looking for was 'ultrawide' monitors..

There is also this from Microsoft

PowerToys

Apparently it lets you set up your monitor with zones - so you aren't constantly having to position and size 'windows'...

That was one of my questions - how do they work when you only want 1 window open to work off..

I was running two monitors. One landscpae and one portrait.
But one of them belonged to work and I had to give it back.
I have since upgraded to a 32" 4K screen and it's far superior.
The same effective pixels as 4 regular monitors (so long as you set display scale to 100%)
I can put windows wherever I want them.

If you think Snap is good, you should check out Powertoys Fancy Zones
(it's a standard feature in windows 11 but has been available here for years)

It's prety much essential for running a big screen like this.
I have these zones set up:

1632560915719.png

Even the little zones have as many pixels as some laptops.

Typically have my main app top left. Reference materials below. Email top right. Browser bottom right.
Just hold shift while dragging a window and it will snap to one of these zones. Drag it to a border and it will span those two zones.

I have the screen itself on a wall-mounted VESA arm like this:

3063339-l-a.jpg
So my desk is unobstructed by the stand

Money no object I'd order this

With is 32:9 aspect ratio, essentially 2 x 27" 4k displays without any gaps.

I do like the 29" UW display I have but feel I also need a 24". Its standard HD res is a bit limiting top to bottom.
I have them both on gas lift angle poise monitor stands, this frees up a lot of desk space. Make sure the monitor has a VESA mount, cheaper ones sometime don't.

I was running two monitors. One landscpae and one portrait.
But one of them belonged to work and I had to give it back.
I have since upgraded to a 32" 4K screen and it's far superior.
The same effective pixels as 4 regular monitors (so long as you set display scale to 100%)
I can put windows wherever I want them.

If you think Snap is good, you should check out Powertoys Fancy Zones
(it's a standard feature in windows 11 but has been available here for years)

It's prety much essential for running a big screen like this.
I have these zones set up:

View attachment 290028

Even the little zones have as many pixels as some laptops.

Typically have my main app top left. Reference materials below. Email top right. Browser bottom right.
Just hold shift while dragging a window and it will snap to one of these zones. Drag it to a border and it will span those two zones.

I have the screen itself on a wall-mounted VESA arm like this:

View attachment 290029
So my desk is unobstructed by the stand
Dear Dr Monitor,

I've got a new 32" ViewSonic screen to use as a replacement second monitor with my teensy laptop.

The maximum resolution offered by Windows 10 display settings is 2048 x 1152, however, the ViewSonic is eager to tell me that its recommended resolution is 2560 x 1440.

I've downloaded a Windows 10 driver specifically for this monitor, but it hasn't changed my options (and I can't at this stage think even whether it might have - I'm just doing superstitious tech-like things).

The ViewSonic support page directs me to a process for changing screen resolution that doesn't appear to exist anymore. But in any case, I know where and how its usually done, I just don't have the right option available.

What to do?

Any advice, from you or others at the monitor clinic, gratefully received.

Yours slightly blurrily,

Mation

Dear Dr Monitor,

I've got a new 32" ViewSonic screen to use as a replacement second monitor with my teensy laptop.

The maximum resolution offered by Windows 10 display settings is 2048 x 1152, however, the ViewSonic is eager to tell me that its recommended resolution is 2560 x 1440.

I've downloaded a Windows 10 driver specifically for this monitor, but it hasn't changed my options (and I can't at this stage think even whether it might have - I'm just doing superstitious tech-like things).

The ViewSonic support page directs me to a process for changing screen resolution that doesn't appear to exist anymore. But in any case, I know where and how its usually done, I just don't have the right option available.

What to do?

Any advice, from you or others at the monitor clinic, gratefully received.

Yours slightly blurrily,

Mation
It's probably a limitation of the laptop's video port or the hdmi cable. You need all of the devices in the chain (laptop, cable and monitor) to support hdmi 1.4 if you want 2560x1440.

Back
Top Bottom