Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Victoria Line- wknd closing

mccliche

form my desk @work
what is going on????
i make this 3 weekends in a row that it has not been shut...soemthing needs to be done!

It's been more than that!

Can the something that needs to be done be 'not draw it to their attention'?

I think the reason it's being shut is because something is being done...and has been for the last couple of years...

well the jubilee line is the oldest tube line in london, so its reasonable it needs so much work

No it isn't. The oldest line in London is the bit that runs from Baker street to Aldwych.

The Jubilee line is one of the younger lines I think you'll find...post WW2 IIRC...

No it isn't. The oldest line in London is the bit that runs from Baker street to Aldwych.

The Jubilee line is one of the younger lines I think you'll find...post WW2 IIRC...

The reason the Jubilee line is closed every weekend is because they are extending the length of the trains to cope with the Olympic traffic

well the jubilee line is the oldest tube line in london, so its reasonable it needs so much work

No, thats the Clapham and City Railway, ie the Northern Line

The Jubilee is in fact the newest of the tube lines, though part of it does consist of the old Bakerloo, it was entirely resignalled, etc just a few years back - though obviously not very well!!

ETA : I am a farkin eed-jut who need to read the thread befor exposing my eed-jutness

They're too busy closing the Jubilee Line. They've forgotten about us :(

That i believe is the reason why Victoria has not been closed. Jubilee line and several others have been closed on recent weekends. All in all a pain.

The reason the Jubilee line is closed every weekend is because they are extending the length of the trains to cope with the Olympic traffic

Train lengths have already been extended on the jubilee which they did in 3days last christmas. This work is to do with installing the new signalling so the drivers will not have to operate the trains, they just push one button and they're off. The work is massively behind schedule.

The other day I was watching some local news/magazine programme. They were looking at the Jubilee line closures (which, for the central London and East section, is the *newest* line)...

...and then they went to Paris to compare.

In Paris, they are upgrading Line 1, the oldest line - massively. New signalling, trains, the whole lot. Will take 2 or 3 years to do.

Guess how many closures during that? Zero. The Paris guys said proudly, "we will not close the line".

Can be done, then.

what is going on????
Took 7 seconds to find out:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/10145.aspx

Victoria line

Completion date: 2012

* Capacity Increase: 21 per cent
* Journey time reduction: 16 per cent

Our Victoria line upgrade will deliver new trains, track and signals, which means faster, smoother and more reliable journeys.

The upgrade means we will safely be able to run more trains closer together - vital during busy periods.

By 2012, 47 new trains will be in service, each with more seats, higher ceilings, wider aisles and doors, plus improved ventilation and lighting, and an energy-efficient braking system.

The first new train entered passenger service in July 2009.

Safety features include digital CCTV cameras and push-button emergency alarms connecting directly with the driver.

The trains also have improved passenger information and carriages are easier to access.

The work to replace track and install new signalling equipment is now almost complete.

The other day I was watching some local news/magazine programme. They were looking at the Jubilee line closures (which, for the central London and East section, is the *newest* line)...

In Paris, they are upgrading Line 1, the oldest line - massively. New signalling, trains, the whole lot. Will take 2 or 3 years to do.

Guess how many closures during that? Zero. The Paris guys said proudly, "we will not close the line".

Can be done, then.

and mobile phones work on theirs

Can be done, then.
They're converting Line 1 to be driverless; less industrial, more tech orientated.

Back
Top Bottom