Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vegetarian mince recommendations

platinumsage

HaveMyPassword123
Why does this always taste like salted and shredded rubber? I am happy with the veggie burger and sausage options, so why can’t anyone make edible mince? Or maybe they can and this will be a thread of discovery. :)

Two thirds Quorn mince to one third beef works quite well.
Not great for vegetarian recipes, though? I was going to say that I usually get the Quorn, but on reflection I generally just don't get vegetarian mince and buy something a bit nicer instead, so that's probably not a great endorsement.

Not great for vegetarian recipes, though? I was going to say that I usually get the Quorn, but on reflection I generally just don't get vegetarian mince and buy something a bit nicer instead, so that's probably not a great endorsement.

Fair enough, doesn’t work for what I like to call “open-label” vegetarian recipes.
I’ve managed to make vegan chilli with Quorn mince that has gone over pretty well.

OH loves quorn mince, I'm not a fan though, quorn does something unpleasant to my innards and I am not keen on the taste or smell of most quorn products.
I'm in the "rather have lentils" group personally, those puy lentils are good.

OH loves quorn mince, I'm not a fan though, quorn does something unpleasant to my innards and I am not keen on the taste or smell of most quorn products.
I'm in the "rather have lentils" group personally, those puy lentils are good.
I can deal with a couple of quorn sausages, but the mince just fucks with my insides as well. I think a minority of people react to it poorly.

Always use soya mince not meat, back in 1980 it was "textured vegetable protein"
Currently prefer meat free vegetarian mince from Tesco, don't like Quorn, Linda McCartney Vegemince is ok.
A lot of the different brands have there own thing but it is not always a consistent recipe.

The differences are seasoning which can be altered
But not texture and I think freezing technique which affects texture.

I can deal with a couple of quorn sausages, but the mince just fucks with my insides as well. I think a minority of people react to it poorly.

Yeah, I'd heard that I'm not the only one with this quorn issue - we refer to it as "quorn belly" here. I can tolerate a small amount, couple of sausages is fine like you say - but if I eat it a couple of days in a row it's just asking for trouble. (And usually when I cook stuff using mince I do enough portions for 2 days, maybe that is the issue! But as much as I like cooking, I do really enjoy sometimes cooking enough for 2 or 3 days at a time for easy meals).

Another combination I like which can make quite a good base for the sorts of meals where you want a mince type effect is finely chopped/grated onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, peppers - with some lentils too that can be particularly nice, the puy lentils add some firmer texture to that mix, I also like red lentils, big green lentils, and am a bit of a fan of split yellow peas which are great for both taste and texture in a home-made mince substitute. Use a good veggie stock and a good glug of Henderson's (or your veggie umami condiment of choice - mushroom ketchup, soy sauce etc), a good wadge of tomato puree too if it is for spag bol or veggie chilli.

I've done some fairly epic veggie chillies using that as a base with a couple of tins of beans (pinto/butter/kidney etc. - I like 2 different types in a veggie/bean chilli)

Soya mince works for me.
When I rehydrate it I put some marmite in the hot water.
Then add it to frying onions and garlic plus whatever spices the recipe it's going in has.
It's a blank slate flavour wise, like most soya/tofu, so just add things at every stage to get flavour into it.

It's been too long since I ate any deadflesh mince so I can't tell you anything about how it compares texture wise.

I've made pasta sauce using walnuts which was quite good, improvised due to shortage of ingredients;
Broken into pieces, toasted in a dry frying pan, then cooked in a sauce for 20 mins or so.
Might hit the spot if you're looking for something mince-like.

Back
Top Bottom