Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tower Block fire near Canary Wharf.

Ballymore's 1,535-home New Providence Wharf development on the Thames waterfront, which was designed by SOM, made headlines in January 2021 after it emerged that its ACM style cladding had still not been removed three and a half years after the Grenfell Tower fire which claimed 72 lives in June 2017. Ballymore subsidiary Landor Residential, which is understood to own the building, was one of 14 firms ‘named and shamed’ by the government in January for having failed to begin removing the cladding on their developments:

'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years

Approximately 22% of the building's facade features ACM PE cladding panels, which were found to be a key factor in the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017.

Work to replace the cladding was 'under way' and the main contractor had been due to take possession of the site on Monday (10 May 2021), according to Ballymore.

Death Trap?

To be honest, it looks like the building did what it was supposed to do and limited to the fire...there is very little vertical spread. The fire hasn't got into the cladding system.

1620422888976.png
I would hazard a guess that the glazing system is a bit more fire-proof than Grenfell, and strangely no one is taking about the Grenfell glazing in the inquiry, as far as I can gather....but I bet they change the decking system on these balconies.

1620423381988.png
One of the big problems with Grenfell, was the fire re-entering the building higher up via the windows...probably uPVC melting. The Middle East fires were impressive, but caused little internal damage.

The flat above looks singed, but like the fire didn't enter (the broken balcony door is probably due to a firefighter's axe....the wall is still more-or-less white.

Back
Top Bottom