Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tina Turner RIP

I saw Tina Turner at the Glasgow Apollo in 1984. It was her “comeback” world tour. She hadn’t yet had any of her 80s hits. The album Private Dancer didn’t come out until later that year. She didn’t play any new songs that were to appear on it, only her old hits and a couple of soul covers. We had no idea she was going to be huge again: we just went to see her as an amazing part of music history.

And she was absolutely storming. She’d have been in her mid 40s, and we thought she was ancient, but she blew us away.

I can’t say I was a fan of the type of music she went on to make in that decade, but I was a fan of her. She was an icon.

My favorite things she did were a series of Buddhist chants. I was just blown away by them:

I saw her once in Kansas City about 15 years ago.

Fair play to her. Can kind of understand how it can help remove the self from negatives and grief.

Soka Gakkai (in Japan) used to be seen as a bit controversial, a bit culty. But that's par for the course over here.

Overall, would find chanting very soothing, when others do it. Would feel too self conscious to be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom