Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Time zone issues with invitations

Winot

I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint
I’m on iOS (iPhone/iPad) and have never been able to get this to work.

The issue is when you receive an invitation or an email including say an event that bridges time zones, and try to create a calendar entry automatically from that.

For example, I’ve just booked a flight from Germany to the UK. It takes off 1650 German time and arrives 1750 UK time. I added the event to my iCal. The results are as follows on two different calendar apps:

Apple calendar - time zone override OFF - entry created with start 1650 (correct) and end 1850 (incorrect).

Weekcal - time zone support ON and set to London - entry created with start 1550 (incorrect) and end 1750 (correct).

Am I right in thinking that unless the event is encoded with time zone information at source, there’s nothing I can do at my end?

I've got flights booked to Germany and back to the UK, the times shown are local for both countries which I assume is the norm?
My phone is a Samsung, no idea what system it uses!

I've got flights booked to Germany and back to the UK, the times shown are local for both countries which I assume is the norm?
My phone is a Samsung, no idea what system it uses!
That would indeed make most sense.

I’m on iOS (iPhone/iPad) and have never been able to get this to work.

The issue is when you receive an invitation or an email including say an event that bridges time zones, and try to create a calendar entry automatically from that.

For example, I’ve just booked a flight from Germany to the UK. It takes off 1650 German time and arrives 1750 UK time. I added the event to my iCal. The results are as follows on two different calendar apps:

Apple calendar - time zone override OFF - entry created with start 1650 (correct) and end 1850 (incorrect).

Weekcal - time zone support ON and set to London - entry created with start 1550 (incorrect) and end 1750 (correct).

Am I right in thinking that unless the event is encoded with time zone information at source, there’s nothing I can do at my end?
Back in the UK and Apple calendar has shifted to 1550-1750. No change to WeekCal.

So both still wrong but Apple calendar (the one without time zone override) was at least correct for the relevant times when I was in the relevant locations (take off in DE and land in UK).

Back
Top Bottom