Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ticket to Rye - recommendations

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
Barbies!

The wonderful Mrs LR and I are going dog sitting in Rye the end of September. What is there to do for a man with chronic fatigue/chronic pain who can’t walk far but has a blue badge.

Seeks: stone circles, bookshops, history, all things Palaeolithic, art, cakes, coffee, vegan/veggie food, music that doesn’t require standing or camping, more coffee.

dunno really.

i had a mooch round rye when i had a few days in hastings some years ago, and stopped in rye on the way to dungeness.

vague memories of a historic market town sort of place, but not excessively twee. it was a while ago, but would expect bookshops and sources of tea / coffee and cakes.

rye has a castle, but may not have been built to be very accessible.

more on the romney, hythe and dymchurch railway here.

hastings isn't that far away if you feel so inclined. it probably has arty things and vegan food, but it's a good few years since i have been there.

bexhill is a bit beyond hastings, and has the de la warr pavilion, which is quite an impressive bit of 1930s modernism if you like such things, and has arty things.

Barbies!

The wonderful Mrs LR and I are going dog sitting in Rye the end of September. What is there to do for a man with chronic fatigue/chronic pain who can’t walk far but has a blue badge.

Seeks: stone circles, bookshops, history, all things Palaeolithic, art, cakes, coffee, vegan/veggie food, music that doesn’t require standing or camping, more coffee.
There's not a lot of stone circles in Kent, but here's a link to the Megalithic website based on the closest item to Rye. It might not be of interest, but it contains a list of the closest other items and a map of the area.

Rye is definitely a bit cobbley and slopey. You'll just have to take it in bite size chunks. It's very compact.

IIRC there were a couple of gollies in the window of a 2nd hand shop when I was there. You can cause a kerfuffle and get in the papers and the twitter.

Go to camber sands for an ice cream and a look at the sea.

There's a fantastic second hand record shop!

It's also.worth going to the Rye heritage centre on the river side.

There are 5 roads in and out of Rye and 5 rivers.

It's worth driving to Sissinghurst for the day if you're a National Trust Member - a bit pricey if you're not.

If you have a car it's worth going to see the Dungeness Sound Mirrors on the RSPB nature reserve. You can park on the streets nearby for free (or you could 2 years ago) and walk from there. The ground's a bit uneven in places but plenty of places to sit down. They have open days once a month where you can get up close, but you can still admire from a distance normally.

Good blog about them here:

Upcoming open days:

Yes Rye is full of slope and cobbles. Just in case that wasn't clear. Camber Sands goes out for a literal mile when the tide goes out. Great for rockpools. Lots of pottery places in Rye. Hastings has a funicular railway.

Hastings has a funicular railway.

it has two

:)

(although some things on the web suggest that the east one is currently out of action)

My family have a caravan at Winchelsea Beach so I've been going to the area my whole life, and will be spending the first two weeks of September there.

In Rye specifically I'd say you must get chips from Marino's Fish bar, they are the absolute best. There is also Rye Deli which does a good quiche/salad lunch box and has a reasonable cheese counter. The supermarket is a locally owned and has a pretty decent amount of local produce, especially fruit and veg. The Globe pub is a really nice just outside of the main town.

The bookshop is actually really good, although it's technically a Waterstones it has a super nice atmosphere and I good selection. There are also a couple of good old fashioned charity shops. The market on Thursdays is kind of fun, lots of tat but it's busy and there's stuff to look at.

For good stuff a little further away I'd say you should definitely drive down to Rye Harbour, there's a nice pub and cafe and you can see the boats and a Martello tower. Winchelsea is very close and I'd say worth a visit, especially if the little museum is open. It's up on a hill and used to be a large port before the sea receded and left it well in land. Also, Spike Milligan's grave is in the church yard there. The cliff top at Fairlight is absolutely beautiful and easily accessible.

Rye Arts Festival runs from the 13th-29th of September so sounds like you'll be there for that. There's lots of events so I'd say definitely have a look at the program.

Hope this isn't too long!

We have family in rye, lovely town to wander around (though slopey and cobbly and taxis are few and far between)
The waterworks pub is lovely as is another one - maybe the standard.. - very friendly and interesting.
Didn’t know about the arts fest so will maybe be visiting then :D

Back
Top Bottom