Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Those bastards at Wordpress

editor

hiraethified
Without warning, they've now started charging just to see website stats, which in the case of Brixton Buzz would be £240/annum.

Even if you're a non commercial site, the fuckers will still sting you if you dare ask for donations. And because they've got you over a barrel you either pay up or lose an important part of running a site. It's going to hit non profits and charities hard.

1712794755115.png

Oh wait and for my urban75 blog - which doesn't ask for donations - the fuckers still want my credit card details.

I don't know how large Buzz is or how much traffic it gets, but couldn't you host it on the same server as Urban using a free self-hosted version of WP?

Without warning, they've now started charging just to see website stats, which in the case of Brixton Buzz would be £240/annum.

Even if you're a non commercial site, the fuckers will still sting you if you dare ask for donations. And because they've got you over a barrel you either pay up or lose an important part of running a site. It's going to hit non profits and charities hard.

View attachment 419471
Mayeb you could nominate someone else to solicit donations? It does say 'I' not 'we'.

View attachment 419471
Does this include data from Google Analytics?

That last one is interesting. How does it work if your donation page isn't actually WP but say a separate Stripe page?

Hmm. Automattic (Wordpress makers) have been making a mess of the fees for PocketCasts too. Quadrupling them, saying that existing subscribers keep paying a lower amount but then that sometimes isn't happening.

It's not a good look.

Sounds like a shitty move.

I'll gladly bung over a tenner if you want to start a crowdfunder. TBH I'd gladly put up with ads if that's what it takes.

I think this is for using the Jetpack plugin. There should be plenty of free alternatives. It's certainly not for using WordPress itself

WordPress.com is owned and operated by Automattic, Inc, who build the integrated Jetpack plug in.

With the exception of Google's Site Kit, just about every other stats package charge a subscription for any useful info too.

WordPress.com is owned and operated by Automattic, Inc, who build the integrated Jetpack plug in.

With the exception of Google's Site Kit, just about every other stats package charge a subscription for any useful info too.
Yes, but Jetpack has always been a commercial plugin, even though a couple of it's features have been free. And it's not integrated into WP by default. I've never seen it in any of the WP websites I admin.

As you're running Buzz on your own server, why don't you analyse your web server logs which will probably give you more accurate stats anyway as they won't be dependent on cookies or tracking scripts which a lot of browsers now block. There are several free programs that can do this.

Last edited:
Yes, but Jetpack has always been a commercial plugin, even though a couple of it's features have been free. And it's not integrated into WP by default. I've never seen it in any of the WP websites I admin.

As you're running Buzz on your own server, why don't you analyse your web server logs which will probably give you more accurate stats anyway as they won't be dependent on cookies or tracking scripts which a lot of browsers now block. There are several free programs that can do this.

Mate, I do all this and urban75 in my spare time so have to rely oh the kindness of Lazy Llama to do tech stuff and he's got enough on his plate!

But mainly I just wanted to vent at the shitty practice of suddenly introducing hefty charges to a captive audience.

Back
Top Bottom