Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Yes they are very snackable. We have just a few per day though my partner tends to eat more as he takes with his work lunch with the olives. But great prices on both & tasty. The pickled onions are a bargain at 35p -it’s only me that eats them.

I used to eat them as a kid. I was taking them to be polite and later just had to admit I really can’t stand the things.

Lidl has been for a long time the place where I do the ‘nut run’ -buy packs to last a while but olives & pickled onions have become essentials from there too. View attachment 261856
Best nuts in Lidl are the unsalted almonds in the cooking section for only £1.50 a bag. So much cheaper than the salted shite in the snack section. Delicious and crazy cheap.
I LOVE Lidl, but their regular olives in a jar are horrid. Can't eat them. Waitrose essential olives are great and roughly the same price.

I LOVE Lidl, but their regular olives in a jar are horrid. Can't eat them. Waitrose essential olives are great and roughly the same price.

That would be a good thread, what is the same price in Waitrose as anywhere else? I have never shopped in Waitrose but I hear people going on about it more and more these days.

That would be a good thread, what is the same price in Waitrose as anywhere else? I have never shopped in Waitrose but I hear people going on about it more and more these days.
A lot of Waitrose 'essential' brand stuff is roughly Lidl price, certainly less than Tesco/Sainsbury's and good quality.
I regularly get olives, tinned plum tomatoes, carrots, frozen sweetcorn, and Waitrose teabags.

Reactions: bmd
Best nuts in Lidl are the unsalted almonds in the cooking section for only £1.50 a bag. So much cheaper than the salted shite in the snack section. Delicious and crazy cheap.

I buy unsalted nuts , they used to be in the herb section but now in the snack section

The tins of butter beans in tomato sauce and aubergines in tomato sauce are really tasty but the boxes of baclava are sinful. It's like the summer equivalent of the Christmas stollen.

I meant to go to Lidl yesterday to pick up retsina and octopus but never got round to it. If it isn't raining I might head over there tomorrow

That's Adidas and Puma. Lidl and Aldi have no family connection.

I reckon a lot of their own brand stuff comes out of the same factories but that's true of most supermarkets' own brand stuff anyway.
Ah yeah. I think the Aldi brothers split territories?

Ah yeah. I think the Aldi brothers split territories?
Yup they split into Aldi North and Aldi South over cigarettes and tobacco. In the UK we have Aldi South which is the better of the two in my opinion. I've been to an Aldi North in Holland and it's a lot more basic and warehousey with not as good range of products (reminded me a bit of kwiksave).

The new ice cream mochi is great albeit a tad pricey at Aldi. £2.99 for 6. I've tried the tropical and coconut, yet to try the mango. Still cheaper than Little Moons though.

I don't hate it, but it's pretty pointless to this single person household. About the only thing I get any benefit from is the opportunity to buy enormous lumps of cheese at a good price.
As I recall it's a bit of a con as their regular cheese price is cheeper and you can buy in smaller packs at no extra cost (per weight) which gives it a longer shelf life (supposedly you need to eat the whole block in a week once opened).

Back
Top Bottom