Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

It's that time of year when Aldi start ramping up the Xmas food stuffs. Just seen their food brochure for this year, too many things to want but going to rein myself in this year.

Does anyone know if the Lidl trainers are likely to make a reappearance any time soon? They were stocked for one week only in the summer and I would hope they will pop up again in stores at some point, since they became so sought after.

Last edited:
Their 1kg tubs of 100% peanut butter at £3.99 are the best you can get. Needs storing somewhere cold though or it goes very runny.

For those of you who like whisky and can’t always afford the finer stuff, I bought today a semi-premium blended whisky from Aldi, and for me at least it’s not just as good as, but actually a lot better than the likes of Famous Grouse, Bells and similar level brands. And at £12.89 much cheaper. Recommended.

9C41F23A-6F62-488D-B831-5628D3F05164.jpeg

If anyone's interested I can heartily recommend the click and collect service. Intuitive, efficient and you get to swap pleasantries with a very well spoken young person with a special trolley thing 😎

E2a this is Aldi.

If anyone's interested I can heartily recommend the click and collect service. Intuitive, efficient and you get to swap pleasantries with a very well spoken young person with a special trolley thing 😎

E2a this is Aldi.

Have considered it, but at £5 a pop for a click and collect it kind of takes the value of using Aldi in the first place away.

(I’m aware a staff member goes round and picks and packs your shopping etc so it’s potentially good value for money vs major supermarkets free c&c offerring but £5 per go seems excessive to me)

I can't see the click and collect person taking the bananas out of the bags to get me the big ones and making sure I have some from each stage of ripeness to last the week.

For those of you who like whisky and can’t always afford the finer stuff, I bought today a semi-premium blended whisky from Aldi, and for me at least it’s not just as good as, but actually a lot better than the likes of Famous Grouse, Bells and similar level brands. And at £12.89 much cheaper. Recommended.

View attachment 254875
Aldi's Islay Single Malt is an okay dupe for Laphroaig, it's got that peaty, smoky taste to it, but it's slightly more expensive than your recommended tipple, at £16.49.

Someone said that they saw a piss detector in the isle of wonders. An actual gadget to purchase, not a uniformed hem and leg sniffer in a funny uniform.
What's a piss detector?

We have recently discovered there's a half decent Aldi only about half an hour from us. I'm told their champagne is very good, and their whiskey is award winning.

What's a piss detector?

We have recently discovered there's a half decent Aldi only about half an hour from us. I'm told their champagne is very good, and their whiskey is award winning.
It's a UV light so you can see where piss is on soft furnishings. For households with small children, old people or pets.

More malaprop than dyslexia but you get it.

It's not an aisle and it's usually between two aisles and lower than the surrounding shelves so it's an island in the same way a kitchen island is, detached and accessible from all sides. 'Isle' of wonders actually makes more sense.

It's a UV light so you can see where piss is on soft furnishings. For households with small children, old people or pets.

It's not an aisle and it's usually between two aisles and lower than the surrounding shelves so it's an island in the same way a kitchen island is, detached and accessible from all sides. 'Isle' of wonders actually makes more sense.

That is actually fair comment :)

(In my local Lidl it is actually 2 aisles though, but I accept that layout may vary between branches).

Have considered it, but at £5 a pop for a click and collect it kind of takes the value of using Aldi in the first place away.

(I’m aware a staff member goes round and picks and packs your shopping etc so it’s potentially good value for money vs major supermarkets free c&c offerring but £5 per go seems excessive to me)
I order online and get my stuff delivered from the local supermarket (seven miles away) for a fiver. It's not worth driving into town for that price.

I order online and get my stuff delivered from the local supermarket (seven miles away) for a fiver. It's not worth driving into town for that price.

It's a lot to pay if you would normally walk to a supermarket and push a trolley around though! If it's click and collect it's not even like you're saving on transport costs. For delivery to my door I would consider it a little expensive but maybe worth it if I was ordering more than I could carry on one trip myself.

It's a lot to pay if you would normally walk to a supermarket and push a trolley around though! If it's click and collect it's not even like you're saving on transport costs. For delivery to my door I would consider it a little expensive but maybe worth it if I was ordering more than I could carry on one trip myself.
Click and collect should be free.

It doesn't magically jump off the shelves according to your shopping list and into the boxes you go and collect.
You're paying someone to do your shopping for you.
Amazon don't charge me to put goods in my basket. My local hardware shop doesn't charge me to take goods from their shelves and hand it to me. My local chippy doesn't charge me to hand me fish and chips. The local electronics store doesn't charge me to fetch a TV from the store room and put it in my car. Should I continue?

Back
Top Bottom