Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I managed to score another 3 jars of the wonderful Dijon mustard. I seem to be getting through one per week.
And I actually asked the CooP to increase the stock level of the veggie soup I make a special trip to get since Tesco have opted not to stock it any more.
I felt a bit guilty because it's the only thing I ever buy in there ...

Last edited:
I got some lightweight hiking boots for £9.99 in Lidl today - I have been looking for cheap boots/trainers for work (I don't generally need anything more heavy duty than that) but have been struggling to find cheap AND comfortable - these are perfect and at just under a tenner I don't care how messy they end up :D

It was their last pair and happened to be in my size, if there had been another pair I'd have got some for non-work use.

When I went to Aldi on the weekend they only had trays and trays of "English" mustard - all the wholegrain and Dijon had gone. I hope they tweak their deliveries accordingly.
So I may still have to make a special trip to Big Tesco for some "Grey Poupon" which is 3 times the price but made with actual Chardonnay.

Hadn't noticed it until yesterday but Lidl have tins of coconut milk at 65p (about a third of what you'd pay in Sainsbury). Useful for mushroom stroganoffs, veg curries etc.

Went to Lidl in Boliqueme this afternoon their stock was totally different ( obviously they are trying to cater for the Portuguese market) . However despite being tempted at a quarter of a lamb for 15 euros ( their lambs are a bit more scrawny than ours ) I did pick up some baccalau fish cakes 2.99 a bag 10 , bag of frozen baccalau for the same price , 12 stouts for 8 euros , 12 wheat beers for 8.50 , Brie for 1.45 , Camembert 1.99 and some Alentejo ham , it’s like Serrano , For 1.99. I’d just been across the road to a Dutch supermarket which to be honest was very good but very pricey and had picked up some superb Gouda and cumin and an aged Gouda plus loads of pâté and sausages , so really only went for some beer and wine .

Lidl's nuremberg lebkechen are a little disappointing. Bigger than your standard lebkuchen and very nutty but have a sort of papery icing and only half of them have chocolate on them. I've had to finish the pack to save the rest of the family the disappointment I have just experienced.

I got some lightweight hiking boots for £9.99 in Lidl today - I have been looking for cheap boots/trainers for work (I don't generally need anything more heavy duty than that) but have been struggling to find cheap AND comfortable - these are perfect and at just under a tenner I don't care how messy they end up :D

It was their last pair and happened to be in my size, if there had been another pair I'd have got some for non-work use.
Shoezone has a big range of steel toe capped boots/shoes at a very cheap price at the moment. At least they do in the Walthamstow branch.

In Lidle they are selling kilo bags of Italian coffee beans-two types -expresso and dark roast. £7.50. I'm not familiar with the brand but perfectly happy with the coffee.

Couldn't see any in my Lidl just now. The normal Lidl beans are 1.89 for 250g anyway so it's only a 6p saving on four packets.

Aldi frozen basa fillets with salt and pepper breadcrumb coating are quite nice. Remind me of southern fried chicken in that intense pepper flavour way with the quite meaty basa.

Not special but the big bags of frozen pollock are really good in Lidl... good quality for price. Sold as Merluza in Spain ( so thats hake I thought but who knows). Made a banging thai curry with it recently.

For the sherry fans they are selling 50cl bottles of PX pedro jimenez made for them by Williams and Humbert under the name Tio Nico. Good price and worth stocking up for xmas if you like really sweet wines.

Im planning on getting a few bottles of the new white wines theyve got in too - dry mineraly German riesling for 6 quid a bottle. Von Goller riesling trocken.. cant go wrong! Also got Ortega valley pinot noir (Outlook Bay) at a good price if you like New Zealand reds and def one that would go well with chicken or turkey IMO.

Last edited:
For the sherry fans they are selling 50cl bottles of PX pedro jimenez made for them by Williams and Humbert under the name Tio Nico. Good price and worth stocking up for xmas if you like really sweet wines.

Lidl here I come! They won't be there by Xmas. Which is also true if I buy any.

The Guardian mentioned a good Aldi Cotes de Rhone from the village of Signargues. It doesn't seem to be available in Spain.

The Guardian mentioned a good Aldi Cotes de Rhone from the village of Signargues. It doesn't seem to be available in Spain.

When you can get that Extremadura fake cava for 4 euros and banging Toro for 3 euros and quality Ribera for 7 euros who the hell cares :D

Aldi frozen basa fillets with salt and pepper breadcrumb coating are quite nice. Remind me of southern fried chicken in that intense pepper flavour way with the quite meaty basa.
Never really got into basa think it lacks taste by itself but I used to use it in curries. Could see why the salt and pepper breadcrumbs might work though.

IMG_20191202_181835.jpg

Stilton with festive fruits and brandy
Realy thought it might be a wrong un....but it was me that's wrong , creamy and lush with the fruits and brandy subtly done.....if you like the cranberries one ... This is defo a punt

One of my fav wines back to £4.99 ....nice

I was in Aldi yesterday with Mrs SFM and the woman in front was buying a 4ft high “Kevin the Carrot” for her little daughter. The sight of the wee girl cuddling the carrot for dear life was one of the cutest things I’ve seen for ages and melted my old nihilist cynical heart almost to the point of tears..

Back
Top Bottom